• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Speckled Pigeon (1 Viewer)

leon

We call this bird a Rock Pigeon. Is this the same as the Speckled Pigeon.
(Columba guinea) ?

Watching the sun set on my roof in Pretoria,South Africa.

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 292
Leon,

As mentioned by Chris, you've certainly got a Speckled Pigeon there. But it is NOT the same as the so-called Rock Pigeon (aka "City/Feral Pigeon"). The Rock Pigeon (Columba livia) lives naturally in North Africa, Europe and Asia. However, today it is found all over the world (incl. South Africa) often in association with humans.

Leon,
when I was in South Africa; in most bigger Cities I encountered both species: feral Columba livia (ancestor the eurasian Rock Pigeon) as well as Columba guinea. The feral pigeons were generally much more numerous and much easier to see than the speckled pigeons which I never saw come down to the ground within the city. I only saw speckled pigeons on roofs of higher buildings or flying high over the city (and certainly also in rocky areas outside cities, for example Table Mountain)

Joern Lehmhus said:
Leon,
when I was in South Africa; in most bigger Cities I encountered both species: feral Columba livia (ancestor the eurasian Rock Pigeon) as well as Columba guinea. The feral pigeons were generally much more numerous and much easier to see than the speckled pigeons which I never saw come down to the ground within the city. I only saw speckled pigeons on roofs of higher buildings or flying high over the city (and certainly also in rocky areas outside cities, for example Table Mountain)

Up to yesterday I was using an old Sasolbird guide (version 1), replaced it the weekend with the newest version. They have adapted the more international names convensions. Being exposed to this website it quickly became clear to me that the names that I have been using were outdated.
I have learned the "Afrikaans" name's as a kid which sometime confuses the issue even more for me. The Speckled pigeon is in Afrikaans a "Kransduif" - directly translated it would be a "Ledgepigeon" - obviously related to where they are seen most.

The Speckled pigeon is quite common in Pretoria, maybe because Pretoria is surounded with rocky hills. I must admit that I hardly ever see them on the ground, always pearched on a roof somewhere, never in a tree. Our homes have become rocks to them ;-).

leon said:
Up to yesterday I was using an old Sasolbird guide (version 1), replaced it the weekend with the newest version. They have adapted the more international names convensions. Being exposed to this website it quickly became clear to me that the names that I have been using were outdated.
I have learned the "Afrikaans" name's as a kid which sometime confuses the issue even more for me. The Speckled pigeon is in Afrikaans a "Kransduif" - directly translated it would be a "Ledgepigeon" - obviously related to where they are seen most.

The Speckled pigeon is quite common in Pretoria, maybe because Pretoria is surounded with rocky hills. I must admit that I hardly ever see them on the ground, always pearched on a roof somewhere, never in a tree. Our homes have become rocks to them ;-).

Leon,
I stuck on an Excel spreadsheet some time ago which is the Sibley-Monroe (updated Sept.2003). It is the current SM classification rather than the SM 1996 version that has been used in constructing the database, but it may be helpful anyway.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=126864#post126864

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back