• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1998 SLC 8x30 WB Habicht Pick Up in 2024 (1 Viewer)

greekgeek

United States
Just picked up this little number second hand, it's pretty darn nice for being almost 3 decades old. Will clean it up some more but the glass is in great shape and it came with all the accessories in a good condition.

Lovely views, very enveloping and sharp focus, nice depth & breadth of field. My only real hope would have been for it to have a closer focus.

The focuser is very smooth, and I kind of like it up front near the objectives. Similar to the old B&L Elites I have been using.

One issue however is the bridge hinge. Unfortunately it is sticking, so too much force is needed to get it to move, then when it breaks free it's gone too far then sticks again. Kind of a stuttering, stick slip action.

Does this model require some hinge lubricant, or better to send it off for a service? Not sure if 30 years warranty applies for second hand buyers but in any event, I'd like to have that fixed.

There are also two small hairline cracks in the armor near the eyepieces, but I can live with those. Shrinkage of polymer armor, over time I imagine. Or maybe just a parting line, will have to loupe it to be certain.

Some element of risk buying online sight unseen, but if I can get the hinge going smoothly it will have been quite worth it.

1000020992.jpg

1000020993.jpg1000020995.jpg1000020997.jpg1000020998.jpg1000020999.jpg1000021000.jpg1000020996.jpg

Great little tank of an 8x30. I was a little sad to see mine go ... but hope someone somewhere is having the same enjoyment with it as my family had. IF I'd known then that Swarovski could update the prisms, I'd probably have kept it.
Thanks for sharing that, sounds like a lot of enjoyment was had with them! Great pics too. It's a handy little instrument, albeit with dated tech. Incredibly sharp, smooth focus.

I happen to have a soft spot for 80-90's top quality items, which are accessible to me today (peak depreciation?) and still quite usable. Last year I picked up a mountain bike from 1994, and with minimal TLC is rolling like a top. These will come along in my bag for stops at vantage points along the trail this weekend.

I think I found the source of the stick slip. Seems either end of the hinge is binding, with corresponding wear marks. Long term deformation of plastics or so called creep behavior as the culprit.

I might try a little beeswax to see if it helps but if the hinge ends/housing are too deformed it might not make much difference.

@Thotmosis - yes, I still have the 8x42 (link). As between the 8x32 and 8x42, the x42 is the one I like better and would rather keep. Very good performer.
The FL 8x32 is a very smart and bright little binocular, i had one but liked the contrast better in my UVHD. I still have both FL 7x42 and 8x56, both excellent glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back