• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

$1K binoculars experiences - Conquest HD, Monarch HG, Tract Toric, GPO Passion HD, Trinovid HD (2 Viewers)

Wow, that's just ridiculous. I have a pair of Kowa BD II 8x42XD's right now and I'm impressed with the eye cups. They feel sturdy, absolutely no wiggle or play, very distinct detents, don't move once in place and to top it off they are a comfy rubbery material. AND those bins cost me $400.

I'd be seriously disappointed if a brand new pair of $1,000 Zeiss binoculars just broke from normal operation. I share my bins a lot with my wife and friends and I really don't want to have to worry about somebody breaking them accidentally
And yes, Zeiss WILL ship out the updated, extended eye cups at no charge, so that is a positive!

I agree with you that at the $1K price point, the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 was the best choice for me also. I tried all the binoculars you did and more. What I am surprised at is you tried the NL and SF and were still able to settle on a mid-tier binocular. I find I get spoiled by the view of the $1500 and above alpha binoculars and when I try to move down to a $1000 binocular I notice there is something missing and I think it is that extra pop that the top binoculars have that spoils you. As I have said before, once you go alpha, you can never go backa.
Better than the MeoAir 10x42? Why the shift?

Lol, none of these are alpha killers.

I think 'alpha killer' as a phrase is odd. If a $1K binocular is as capable as NL pure, why would anyone buy Swaro? There is a market for Swaro because it does useful things that other binoculars at a lower price don't.

I agree experiences are personal. I used a Conquest HD from roughly 2013-2019 as my primary bin for 1000+ days of birding and working in the tropics. I abused it heavily and it was really robust and reliable. I have used the Monarch HG quite a bit in 42mm and own it in 30mm. I agree the Conquest is superior in CA control, and that it is perhaps a touch sharper in the center. However, unless the Conquest has changed (could well have quietly gotten updated coatings in the last 10 years), I found the contrast and colors more pleasing in the MHG, as well as the light weight, FOV, and ergonomics.

In the end, both are great bins. I prefer either to the Trinovid by a fair margin. I've not seen the GPO or the Tract, but have seen the Opticron BGA VHD which several people have postulated to be a sister binocular to the Tract. I thought it was excellent for the price, if not quite at the level of the Conquest or Monarch HG.

The base of the eye cups appeared to be plastic and twice, as I was adjusting them, they broke in my hand. I guess the plastic base is brittle or cheap.
The Zeiss Conquest HD eye cups are very hard to pull out. I could easily see breaking them while adjusting them. A few times I didn't even have them fully extended because they were so hard to pull out. You really have to tug them to get them fully extended.

The Zeiss Conquest HD eye cups are very hard to pull out. I could easily see breaking them while adjusting them. A few times I didn't even have them fully extended because they were so hard to pull out. You really have to tug them to get them fully extended.
Do you not just twist them up and down??

I think this video shows the clunky moving eyecup -

@pbjosh, what was your experience with eyecups? Your opinion will be helpful since you have used it for seven years in the field.

I used the 8x42 Conquest for a couple of years, and then I've used the 8x32 as well, and have to agree that the way the eyecups twist is pretty hard. So much so, that more than once I ended up unscrewing the whole eyecup. It probably eases a bit with time, but it doesn't disappear (at least in my sample). At the beginning, I kind of liked the "clunky/mechanical" feeling, like a solid Panzer, but then after trying some eyecups from Leica or Swarovski, I think the ones on the Conquest HD could really see some improvement.

I used the 8x42 Conquest for a couple of years, and then I've used the 8x32 as well, and have to agree that the way the eyecups twist is pretty hard. So much so, that more than once I ended up unscrewing the whole eyecup. It probably eases a bit with time, but it doesn't disappear (at least in my sample). At the beginning, I kind of liked the "clunky/mechanical" feeling, like a solid Panzer, but then after trying some eyecups from Leica or Swarovski, I think the ones on the Conquest HD could really see some improvement.
I think GPO's have the smoothest eye cups I have ever used.

For me, the GPO Passion HD are not in the same league than the Nikon MHG : the eyecups are inconfortable, they are too heavy, the FOV is poor and they produce more flare in opposite light. Just the price is the same (in Europe). :unsure:

For me, the GPO Passion HD are not in the same league than the Nikon MHG : the eyecups are inconfortable, they are too heavy, the FOV is poor and they produce more flare in opposite light. Just the price is the same (in Europe). :unsure:
I agree. It is odd, but the GPO Passion 10x42 is quite good, but I don't have a lot of love for the 8x42 for the same reasons you stated above. I prefer the MHG 8x42 at that price point also.

interesting takes on the GPO. I can’t say I have any opinion on the 8 x 42 GPO, but I have a good deal of experience between the MHG 8x42, 10x42 and the GPO 10x42. My opinion on the GPO is that its a conquest in an Alpha body. The image, color rendition, sharpness and fast focus is very much like the Zeiss conquest, (not surprise there considering the owners of GPO). Build quality is superior than the MHG and the eyecups while some complain there a little hard, others a have no issues. The eyecups are probably the best in the business as far as quality of the mechanism, solid detents, smooth operation, feels expensive.

In the 10’s it’s brighter and sharper than the MHG, but I can see how some might like the Nikon better for its warmer image quality, just like some like it better than the conquest. CA is about the same in both , give or take. These $1000 bins are all in about the same category optically some better at one thing and others do something else better. Build quality on the GPO are a step up from that price point.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back