• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 butterflies from Düsseldorf [Germany] - IDs needed (1 Viewer)

David_

Germany
Hi,

found photos of 2 butterflies taken last July near the airport in Düsseldorf.

I think this is Coenonympha pamphilus.
P1090776.jpegP1090781.jpeg

Initially I thought this is one is another C. pamphilus but after looking at the photos half a year later I realized there is second eye-spot. Is it Pyronia tithonus?
P1090868.jpegP1090873.jpeg

Thanks,
I still struggle with butterflies. There seems to be so much variation within species. I didn't know Maniola jurtina can have two eye-spots. But I also I would have expected Pyronia tithonus show at least some faint eye-spots on the hind-wing which the butterfly in my photo doesnot

Yep, they can vary a bit, which only makes it more interesting in my opinion. Females with the second white pupil (note it's only one eye spot, black) are relatively infrequent, but can be found regularly (here in Portugal, where ssp. hispulla occurs, the second pupil (the "lower one") is usually minute, not as large as on your photo). Besides the characteristic pattern of the hind wings, their shape is also distinctive or highly indicative.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back