• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 Different Water Birds in the Northwestern United States, Idaho on 4/30/21 (1 Viewer)

Procreus

United States
Hello! I just recently went birding in a local town and ran into 2 different water birds I'm unable to identify. I apologize beforehand for the quality of the pictures, as I only had my phone on me at the time.

The first 2 I have a few pictures of, and they look like they might be different colored mallards, but I don't know enough about them to say for sure. They have brown bodies with black heads, and the front of their neck/top of chest was white. They also had a yellow bill similar to mallards in the area. They were just swimming around and cleaning themselves in the water. These ones instantly reminded me of mallards due to the coloring of their bills.

The second 2 are going to be harder due to my poor image quality through my binoculars. However, the one on the left had a medium-brown body with patches of a light cream color, and a solid brown head. The one on the right was the opposite of the left, with most of the body color being a light cream color with patches of brown sewn in, and a solid cream colored head. Both of them had black bills. These ones were sitting on a piece of land in the middle of the pond and were cleaning themselves for a good 5-10 minutes before I moved on. These ones seemed similar to Gadwalls due to the "softness" of the feathers on their heads.

I'm brand new to birds and have heard people talking about mallards being different colors than the regular green heads/yellow bills/grey and brown bodies, but I don't know what different colors are possible for them as all I've seen are the common colored ones (for my area at least). Any information is greatly appreciated and thank you for taking a look!

-Brandon

Attachments

• IMG_6390.jpg
    IMG_6390.jpg
    838.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6391.jpg
    IMG_6391.jpg
    750.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6393.jpg
    IMG_6393.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6394.jpg
    IMG_6394.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 49
The first two are male Mallards with domestic blood. The second two are probably both domestic Mallards but I can't be sure from the photo.

Last edited:
1-3. Domestic ducks, i.e. selectively-bred mallards, with no other species involved - hence, not hybrids.
4. Probably ditto, but can't see them well enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back