• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 Martins, 1 Bunting, Malaga (Spain) in July (1 Viewer)

Macswede

Macswede
I think the martins are both juvenile House Martins but I'm not certain.
Fairly sure the bunting is a Cirl Bunting but it's a bad angle for ID.

Attachments

• 064A4862.jpg
    064A4862.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 064A4887.jpg
    064A4887.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 064A4936.jpg
    064A4936.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 131
Re the martins, the flank barring suggests juv House Martin, which shows a thinnish breast band (see attached photo). I think the band on juv Sand Martin should be thicker and less clean-cut, kind of smudgier.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-sa...in-flight-minsmere-rspb-reserve-90935175.html

One thing I don't like is the head pattern - juv House Martin should have a fairly uniform hood, whereas both these birds appear to have a dark mask.

The easiest way to resolve this would have been to look for the presence/absence of a white rump!

I can't comment on the bunting, I'm afraid.

Attachments

• juv-c-House-Martin-30th-oct-2013-flamb-1-of-1.jpg
    juv-c-House-Martin-30th-oct-2013-flamb-1-of-1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 82
Thanks very much, Shane, Neil, Pedro and Andy! I should have paid more attention. To be honest I thought that it was much easier to tell them apart. I think, on balance, that they are probably House Martins as I didn't see any any adult Sand Martins at either of the 2 sites.

Thanks Tib78 for the confirmation on House Martins and the ID for the bunting. I saw both Rock Buntings and Cirl Buntings during our trip but I was only able to ID Cirl Buntings at Comares so that was a nice surprise.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back