• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 or 3 locations for 2 weeks in February 2023 (1 Viewer)

Fiscalshrike

I see I asked about Costa Rica 2 years ago but never managed to get there. I just bought a return flight to Liberia CR for late Jan to mid Feb. I will rent a car and am looking at budget AirBnB lodgings. I thought to just locate to La Fortuna, but when mapping directions to Monteverde, due to terrain it seems to be a trip of over 3 hours, so this isn't a logical one stop location. As I will have a vehicle, then I thought a week in La Fortuna and a week in Monteverde. Alternatively, I could split it to 3 locations if there are strong differences in birds to see. I thought of Manuel Antonio, but I am not keen on 30C+ heat and humidity unless it is a 'must' and can be well birded in 2 or 3 days. I am open to another well recommended location north of San Jose...that can be birded independently. Thanks.

When landing in Liberia, I would think that one week in the north west would be a logical solution. Rincon de la Vieja, Santa Rosa, Palo Verde to just mention a few worthy locations that can be reached from Liberia.

You could cut this down to 4-5 days possibly and visit a couple of more southerly locations, but also consider going east from Liberia. Going all the way to Carara or Manuel Antonio from Liberia when you do not have more time -- I would consider this a waste because you would be spending too much time on the road and not enough birding.
Niels

When landing in Liberia, I would think that one week in the north west would be a logical solution. Rincon de la Vieja, Santa Rosa, Palo Verde to just mention a few worthy locations that can be reached from Liberia.

You could cut this down to 4-5 days possibly and visit a couple of more southerly locations, but also consider going east from Liberia. Going all the way to Carara or Manuel Antonio from Liberia when you do not have more time -- I would consider this a waste because you would be spending too much time on the road and not enough birding.
Niels
Thanks. Yes, after I mentioned Manuel Antonio, I realized it was further south than I wanted to be. I was looking at Palo Verde. Timing may depend if there are too many similarities in birds between Monteverde, La Fortuna and Saraquipi and how many days to stay in that area. As I just bought the flights yesterday, and CR hasn't been on my radar for the past 2 years, I need to brush up on my birding zones and what is similar...or not. I remember reviewing a number of Pat Donnell's blog posts from the area NW of Liberia, but as they are close to 10 years old now, I am not sure how relevant they are. The rice fields may not exist anymore, ghough the reserves and Nat Parks would be. Thanks for the suggestions.

Manuel Antonio is a tourist trap and far inferior to other pacific coast birding opportunities. Carara is well worth it if you can put up with the heat. A quieter alternative to Monteverde is Tapanti National Park near Orosi. No Quetzal, but otherwise very similar.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back