• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 species / Armenia (1 Viewer)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
Thanks a lot for your input!

Cheers.

Jose

Attachments

• IMG_5100.JPG
    IMG_5100.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5205.JPG
    IMG_5205.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 29
The second is a Box-tree Moth, a pest species from S.E Asia.
The Butterfly looks like Silver-washed Fritillary though I don't know their range off hand so the next option would Cardinal?

The second is a Box-tree Moth, a pest species from S.E Asia.
The Butterfly looks like Silver-washed Fritillary though I don't know their range off hand so the next option would Cardinal?

Thanks very much, Andy. Very helpful, as usual :)

The butterfly was photographed at the Dilijan National Park.

Here's a more clear photo of it. Looking at photos online I'd say it looks more like Silver-washed Fritillary. What do you think?

Thanks again!

Jose

Attachments

• IMG_5128.JPG
    IMG_5128.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 16
I'd agree with S-w F if it's in range and with Fritillaries, shots of the underwing are most important, just for you to know.

With the slight green tinge I would tend to favour A. pandora, but as Andy says a clear shot of the underwing would clinch it.

Chris

Hi. Thank you for your feedback. I just saw these last 2 messages.

Here's some more photos of the butterfly. Both different individuals.

There may be the possibility that I saw the 2 species (Silver-washed and Cardinal) as there were lots of the 'same' species flying around that day.

Cheers.

Jose

Attachments

• IMG_5098.JPG
    IMG_5098.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5102.JPG
    IMG_5102.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5153.JPG
    IMG_5153.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 16
The rather broad white bars on the under hind wing look good for Silver-washed but why is the unh so brown? Shouldn't it be greenish?

Across much of Armenia, Cardinal is by far the more common of the two, but in the lush woodland of Dilijan, Silver-washed Fritillary becomes common.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back