• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

2 Species / SW Spain (1 Viewer)

Jose605

Not sure if they are butterflies or moths. Spotted this morning.

Any idea please?

Thank you!

Jose

Attachments

• IMG_8679.JPG
    IMG_8679.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8686.JPG
    IMG_8686.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 23

THE_FERN

Without giving exact IDs I can point you in the right direction:

First is a skipper. There are several candidates like mallow skipper and I suspect it's not identifiable from this view [but worth checking carefully].

Second looks like Silver y moth, Autographa gamma. But again, suggest checking carefully what other possibilities there are in the area.

Jose605

Thank you The_Fern! You are probably right about both of them.

Unfortunately these are the only 2 photos I could take.

The Silver Y probably easier to ID correctly. The skipper a little harder from this angle. Maybe the type of plant could give us a clue? The exact location is Huelva, right on the coast.

Thanks again.

THE_FERN

Thank you The_Fern! You are probably right about both of them.

Unfortunately these are the only 2 photos I could take.

The Silver Y probably easier to ID correctly. The skipper a little harder from this angle. Maybe the type of plant could give us a clue? The exact location is Huelva, right on the coast.

Thanks again.
From previous Q & A on skippers I think there are several candidates [IIRC]. If it's nectaring the plant will be no clue. This thread links to a guide which will help you decide:

https://www.birdforum.net/threads/butterflies-of-the-iberian-peninsula-free-pdf-guide.402673/

[Edit: Seeing the pictures on a large screen. The first is a moth, not a skipper. Unidentifiable with certainly, but probably another silver y or similar.]

Last edited:

aeshna5

Definitely Silver Y for the moth.

Image of the skipper isn't really good for ID but time of year might make Mallow Skipper a good candidate.

Jose605

Definitely Silver Y for the moth.

Image of the skipper isn't really good for ID but time of year might make Mallow Skipper a good candidate.
Much appreciated, aeshna5. Yes, most probably Mallow. And thanks for confirming the moth (y)

Jose605

From previous Q & A on skippers I think there are several candidates [IIRC]. If it's nectaring the plant will be no clue. This thread links to a guide which will help you decide:

https://www.birdforum.net/threads/butterflies-of-the-iberian-peninsula-free-pdf-guide.402673/

[Edit: Seeing the pictures on a large screen. The first is a moth, not a skipper. Unidentifiable with certainly, but probably another silver y or similar.]
Really!? Ok, it could be. All I can say is that if flew really fast in every direction; that's why I decided to take the photo with the zoom to secure a shot (even if it was a poor one), instead of approaching it and losing it again. Thank you for the additional input (y)

THE_FERN

Really!? Ok, it could be. All I can say is that if flew really fast in every direction; that's why I decided to take the photo with the zoom to secure a shot (even if it was a poor one), instead of approaching it and losing it again. Thank you for the additional input (y)
If you zoom in you can see the "skipper" has a fat hairy body, small eyes and uniform antennae without clubs at the end. These are all characteristics of moths

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread