• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

20-60HDF Zoom on ES80 GA (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
I'm thinking of getting the 20-60HDF Zoom for my ES80 GA.
Has anyone tried thois out yet?.
Any comments?. Good or Bad!.

I have this zoom Alan, I bought it along with the Opticron 80 scope, I find it works very well, In fact I even use it on my old bushnell Spacemaster it's a lot better on this than the old bushnell zoom. I found the Opt.zoom didn't work very well when digiscopin so I use the Bushnell zoom on the Opticron scope for digiscopin! Have I confused you yet?

A friend of mine, who I met in a hide last year when he was digiscoping, uses this zoom eyepiece to digiscope with some terrific results, although he has recently admitted that he does have some blurred ones. He has the photos printed from the card of his CoolPix 4500 at Asda as he doesn't have a computer - even so, he's getting better results than I am.

Johnny1
Yep, but thats nothing new!.

Diane
If he's getting better results than you, he it must be good!. I bin looking at your Bittern an Heron. An I jealous!.

Alan
My photos did get a bit better when I downsized from the 32x to the 22x eyepiece. Still having what I feel are many problems trying to get a few good photos.

I'm still waiting for my camera to come back from Nikon having the focus checked - maybe that will be the answer to my woes!

Mind you, have you seen the angle on that photo. I tried to straighten it a bit, but it looks like they're downhill skating!

Hi Alan

I bought an ES 80 with the 20 - 60 eyepeice and think its a wonderful peice of kit.

Not much good for digiscoping but Opticron have just released a 12.5X eyepeice with a full width eyepeice especially for digiscoping.

I eventually Ordered my HDF Zoom eyepiece on Monday afternoon from :
http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/opticron_scope/opticron_scope.htm

for £130 inc VAT +3.95 P & P.
I was surprised to find it waiting for me last evening ( Tuesday ) on my return home from work. Couldn't wait to try it out!. Unfortunately yesterday was a pretty crappy day weatherwise. The poor old dog got a quick walk in the wet which he was pleased about, and so was I, then supper, and then at last out to a local hide where I could try it out in the dry. By this time it was very overcast and wet, so not? ideal conditions for trying out a zoom. About the only bird there was a Redshank which got the full test.
The eyepiece has large lump of glass in it, and the lens cap is larger than the lens cap for my 32x HDF eyepiece.
At minimal zoom ( about 20x ) the view was very bright and clear. The zoom stays clear up to the maximum but the brightness does obviously reduce although not as much as I expected. The focus does appear to drift off, I need to refocus after zooming in and again after zooming back out.
A Common Sandpiper ( a first ) appeared from around a bend, and this also got the full treatment.

I think I am going to be very happy with this Scope and eyepiece!. I may add to this after an extended test!.

Last edited:
Alan

I am pleased you are happy with your zoom lens. I know I never go anywhere without mine, although I must admit to using the 32x when watching from a hide some of the time.

Have you tried Opticrons 12.5x dedicated eyepeice for digital photography ( about £60.00 i'm afraid) but what a cracking lens with or without the camera.

Happy twitching

best regards

Steve J - Darlo

Steve J - Darlo said:
Alan

I am pleased you are happy with your zoom lens. I know I never go anywhere without mine, although I must admit to using the 32x when watching from a hide some of the time.

Have you tried Opticrons 12.5x dedicated eyepeice for digital photography ( about £60.00 i'm afraid) but what a cracking lens with or without the camera.

Happy twitching

best regards

Steve J - Darlo
Steve
Out of curiosity, Why chose to use a dedicated 32x when you have a zoom that gives you that option, albeit with a narrower field of view?.
I haven't had the pleasure of trying out the dedicated 12.5x digiscoping eyepiece. The digital camera I have has no zoom and 640x480 is its highest resolution, so any thing over about 25 yards with the 32x would be too small. I did try out the camera yesterday evening (18:30 and a rainy day ) on max zoom ( 60x ) on a grey Heron about 50 yards away and got, for me, some reasonable piccies. There is a lack of clarity in the piccies, whereas looking visually the image was clear, so I guess thats down to the camera!. Took a while to get the camera lined up and there was some vignetting, the latter doesn't happen with the 32x. But overall I am still pleased with the Scope/eyepiece combination!.

Alan
I use the 32x when I am looking over a large distance mainly because of the clarity of the prime lens.
The 20-60 zoom is fine, but does not compare when looking out over an estuary or lake on grey days.
Hoping your combination brings you hours of pleasure

All the best.

Steve J - Darlo

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back