• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2002 Year List (1 Viewer)

burhinus

Hope this is not too premature but it is looking like congratulations to Adrian Riley on his tremendous effort of 368 (at least) for the year (UK).

Happy New Year Adrian and looking forward to some more birding with you next year!

burhinus

Burhinus

Writing as a beginner, I would be extremely interested to know how Adrian Riley achieved this. I mean how much time he put in, what sort of techniques he employed, how much he travelled etc.

Does he do most of his birding in Norfolk?

Peter

ps do tell us the origin of your name.....

Adrian Riley is a birder from Norfolk retired last year from his job and set his stall out this year to get the highest number of species seen in 2002.

Alot of birding has been done in Norfolk but he has travelled to many counties and islands as well.

Surfbirds have various league tables for birders to contribute to some take it for fun , others more seriously. Adrian has kept his totals running on there.

Adrian set his stall out for the big one this year. Having travelled many miles and no doubt spent many pounds. Alot of planning went into the year as well as a lot of chasing after individual species. A birder that took 2002 serious in his sort of way!

Hello Peter

Whats in a name?

I live in the Brecks of Norfolk. When I set up my first email account several years ago, rather than choose
[email protected] I wanted something a bit different. As I rate Stone Curlew as my favourite Breckland bird I decided to take the first part of its latin name: Burhinus. As simple as that.

Nigel has already asked if I have got thick knees. No. I drank lots of milk as a lad and my bones are fine (so far). But who knows I might need a zimmer frame in a few years time!!

P.S The idea has caught on though as I see quite a few people use latin names of birds as identification.

burhinus

Don't people get any enjoyment from 'observing' birds anymore? What is this fixation with LISTS????

Yes! I try to keep records of what I've seen and where, but that is so that I can pass INFORMATION and KNOWLEDGE on to others!

I love watching my sparrows and Blue Tits and Robin etc in my garden. I watch their every move; I note there differences in feather patterns, behaviour etc etc etc! And I love it!

When I was creating the wallpapers (see Gallery), I was fascinated by the detail that Andy had captured in his photos. How many of you noticed the wispy strands of feathers covering the forewing on the Stonechat, eh? How many of you look at the brightness of a Blackbirds eye? How many of you can describe the pattern on a House Sparrow's back (and tell, just from those feathers whether it's male or female or juvenile!).

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but if we're to do anything about environmental issues, then "calling" rare species and "ticking" lists ain't gonna help one jot!

I've said my bit, now I'm going to bed to sleep off my Christmas hangover!

So There!

B :) B :) B :)

Burhinus

Thank you for that explanation. I thought there might be something highbrow behind it!

Adrian Riley sounds an interesting character, but I have to say I'm with Moneyman on this. I keep a note of what I see, including the circumstances, but I don't make lists. As Al says, there's a tremendous amount of satisfaction to be gained from observation for its own sake. To me, that's what birding is all about.

I'm a newcomer, of course, but I can't tell you how much pleasure I derived this morning from identifiying - instantly - a Great Spotted Woodpecker for the first time. I had never seen one before, but the image from the Bird Forum Quick Gallery site (I think it was Ian F's) stuck with me.

Al, just Because they keep a list doesn't mean they miss the detail does it? are you not being a little harsh? I think your way of track, both you and peter, this has nothing to do with conservation , missing plumage colour etc! In fact to make a positive ID for a list I bet they look at more detail than your average birder!

Surely if getting a list together is there thing good luck to them!!

For the record its not my bag, but I can see the why people enjoy it.

Hi Steve
Mine neither, I am a birder not a twitcher, though I do keep lists. Life, year etc. Dont think I have ever travelled more than 30 miles to chase after a bird. But back to Adrian it was his thing for this year. He enjoyed it and that is what counts. I do what I enjoy and that counts also.

I have been birding for more years than I care to remember, my UK list is not huge but some common birds still stop me in my tracks even after all these years. Whilst Twitchers and mega listers are in far away places they are not on my local patch, thats great. I do bird watch with Adrian occasionally and I have to say he is a very knowledgeable birder. No harm in congratulating the guy on his efforts!

burhinus

Hi all

I'm back after about 10 days offline and this thread caught my eye.

You all know that I love to drive around the countryside after birds. It takes all types to enjoy this hobby of ours and you shouldn't pigeon hole birders into the catergories that you choose. Me, I like the thrill of the chase and the seeing of birds I could only dream of finding years ago. I still love the usual birds but being honest I can take time out quite often and see these birds almost anywhere I go. In fact I have just purchased a Nikon Coolpix 990 just before Xmas and tested it on some of the birds we see at Upton Warren and they are real stars, as you will see once I have posted them onto the gallery. How can you beat the loveliness of a Bullfinch as well as Tree Sparrows and Tits plus the cracking Teal. Whilst watching these day to day birds you get to see the more reclusive ones such as the Water Rail, Cettis Warbler etc.

Each day birding can be different but I choose to also enhance my birding with a little bit of the twitching element. This I really enjoy and it also gets me to see the countryside and different habitats. I am well travelled around Britain (with the exception of Ireland) and it is mainly down to going after the different birds that appear on our shores.

I keep lists as well. Each year the list changes to the new year so the humble Blue Tit becomes a new bird each year. What is wrong with that? I have life lists, year lists, European lists any list that my data base can throw up. These lists also help in working out itineries at differing times of the year. I tend to do a search for a specific month in the year and see what I have seen on a regular basis in that particular month over the years I have been birding and where the best spots have been to over those years. That way I can plan a week away that could be very productive or just a weekend. It might not be everyones way of birding but it doesn't make it wrong.

No two people are the same, like wise no two birders are the same. We should enjoy the hobby to our own satisfaction not some one elses.

JohnJ

How nice to have you back on line! You have just proved, rather eloquently, your own case: every birder is different and it has to be each to his/her own. Everyone has their own style and approach to birding, and it really doesn't matter as long as people have respect for each other and for birds.

I certainly agree with you about watching day to day birds as often as possible; as you say, the rarer ones will then turn up eventually.

As for lists, I think Monkeyman was just trying to be provacative, which is absolutely fine. These discussions need someone to spark things off, after all. he wasn't suggesting that compiling lists is wrong - just that it wasn't his bag.

How are you finding the Coolpix 990, and why did you choose that particular model?

Hope you had a good Christmas. Happy New Year and see you soon.

Peter

Hi John,

Glad to have you back,

absolutely nothing wrongwith anyone keeping lists and despite what I have said elswhere I keep a list of sorts. A diary. I do put a list of observations an the Cambs web sight if I have seen something significant somewhere. I dont see any harm in twiching really and I suppose we all do it to some degree, I just don't like the competetive side of it I suppose.

Are you still going to Norfolk sunday only Al mentioned a meet somewhere, If so I'd like to join the party,

Mike

Hi ya Mike

Because I have been offline for so long my plans have become very fluid. I am off work now until Jan 6th. Tomorrow I will stay local starting after the Great grey Shrike again in the vain hope of getting better photos of it this time. (I have posted a photo of it plus quite a few others using my new Digital camera). I will stay local for the rest of the day but if the Pallid Harrier is still in the Stiffkey area on Thursday then I might just go to Norfolk then. What might be best is for you to do a private email giving me your phone number and when I know what I am doing I can ring you. I fully intend doing maybe at least a couple of days in Norfolk anyway its just what is where that will determine when I go. (does that make sense?)

Peter

Sorry I didn't reply straight away.

Why did I choose that camera. It was Andy's recommendation that sold it to me. I have to be honest and say that the camera is frustrating me quite a bit but on the upside I have already taken photos of birds that I didn't manage with my old SLR, as you will see if you check them out in the gallery. I am particularly pleased with the Water Rail. I have put two in the gallery of that bird. they may not be brilliant but I very much doubt that I would have ever captured one on film with my old set up.

Ros & I had a quiet Christmas. We did go out in the morning after the Great grey Shrike, which we redid again today. Both trip reports are in the relevant forum.

Regarding the New year. I only hope that it is better than the last one as that one was easily one I would like to forget.

I hope you and your family had a great Christmas and that the new year brings you everything you would wish for yourself.

Happy New Year Peter to you and your family, and anyone else who reads this.

John

Thanks very much for that info. I look forward to seeing you in action at the Slimbash! I have looked in Gallery, and you're right to be proud of the Rail shots - excellent stuff of a bird I know that can be extremely difficult to capture.

Thanks again.

I do hope you and Ros have a great 2003!

Best wishes.

Peter

How many birds do any of you have on your 2003 list so far? I have 11.
In 2002, all I had was 72. That was for 3 states
Marcus

Marcus

I have been out for a few days birding and my total stands at 98, which should increase by the end of tomorrow. I will post a trip report for the last two days but I have trip reports in the forum for both Jan 1st & 2nd which cover my first 67 birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back