• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2014 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

Venting frustrations: 'bog' off!

Fear not, the title does not mean this is going to be an offensive post! But just how frustrating are bog orchids to photograph? Answer: VERY. The photos in "the" books are so crisp and shot at a level with the plants that I think people must have dug themselves into the bogs to get them! So, despite many attempts in increasingly failing light (hence the graininess), and getting more and more sodden by the minute (due to 'ingress' of bog waters, not rain...), these are some of the more acceptable shots I got of the Hampshire bog orchids at the weekend. However, dampness aside, they seem to be doing really quite nicely this year, appearing in loose "clumps". I guess the exceptionally wet winter/spring has been good for this species too...even if the conditions were not so good for the photographer!

Attachments

• mini-IMG_7519.JPG
    mini-IMG_7519.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 57
  • mini-IMG_7428.JPG
    mini-IMG_7428.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 51
  • mini-IMG_7478.JPG
    mini-IMG_7478.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 49
  • mini-IMG_7369.JPG
    mini-IMG_7369.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
On the heath

I see Mike just beat me to posting some Heath Fragrants. These, as my previous post, are from the New Forest at the weekend. The true colour of the fragrants is frustratingly difficult to capture. Could you count the pale one as a var. albiflora? The flowers are white once open, but in bud a very, very pale pink. The interloper is a pale butterwort, just for interest's sake (shame about the blade of grass in the way: why do you never notice them when you're taking the pictures?!)...

Attachments

• mini-IMG_7125.JPG
    mini-IMG_7125.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 36
  • mini-IMG_7178.JPG
    mini-IMG_7178.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 46
  • mini-IMG_7203.JPG
    mini-IMG_7203.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 31
  • mini-IMG_7277.JPG
    mini-IMG_7277.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 39
  • mini-IMG_7147.JPG
    mini-IMG_7147.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Today

Today

Attachments

• chlorantha2.jpg
    chlorantha2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 48
  • chlorantha-1.jpg
    chlorantha-1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 49
  • chlorantha3.jpg
    chlorantha3.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 54
I'm probably off to new forest next weekend for Bog orchid, just wondering if Matley bog is a good place to look. I've been told that it can be difficult there in places, is there a better area to look or will it be ok at Matley? Would appreciate a PM if anyone has a better area.
Also this weekend I'm going to have a look for Musk orchids at Swifts hill Gloucestershire, does anyone know if the Red Helleborine is worth a visit at the Gloucestershire site.
Cheers
Ben.

I'm probably off to new forest next weekend for Bog orchid, just wondering if Matley bog is a good place to look. I've been told that it can be difficult there in places, is there a better area to look or will it be ok at Matley? Would appreciate a PM if anyone has a better area.
Also this weekend I'm going to have a look for Musk orchids at Swifts hill Gloucestershire, does anyone know if the Red Helleborine is worth a visit at the Gloucestershire site.
Cheers
Ben.

Hi Ben

There is a better site than Matley, where there is less likelihood of habitat damage. PM me and I'll give you details.

Sean

Cheers
Ben.

Will be checking Red Helleborines tomorrow. Pot luck as to whether any flower near enough to the fence to get a decent photo.

You'd probably be wasting your time looking for Musks on Swifts Hill, I believe they have flowered once in 8 years, in 2012. There's a tiny colony on nearby Selsley Common that were in flower today but directions would be very diffficult as it's the middle of the common, with no useful landmarks. The easiest place to see them in Glos is Barrow Wake as they grow around the car park.

Cheers
Ben.

The warden at the red helleborine site tells me there is only one plant in flower and gives the impression that it's a rather poor specimen...I was due to visit this week, but work means that won't now happen...

Ian

Will be checking Red Helleborines tomorrow. Pot luck as to whether any flower near enough to the fence to get a decent photo.

You'd probably be wasting your time looking for Musks on Swifts Hill, I believe they have flowered once in 8 years, in 2012. There's a tiny colony on nearby Selsley Common that were in flower today but directions would be very diffficult as it's the middle of the common, with no useful landmarks. The easiest place to see them in Glos is Barrow Wake as they grow around the car park.

Nice one thanks for that info on the Musks saves me time looking for something that is not there!! Will be interested to hear how well the helleborines are doing.

Ben

The warden at the red helleborine site tells me there is only one plant in flower and gives the impression that it's a rather poor specimen...I was due to visit this week, but work means that won't now happen...

Ian

Thanks for the information Ian hopefully check them out this weekend.

Ben

Hi Benjamin

If you're going to the New Forest at the weekend, you may as well call in at Noar Hill and see hundreds if not thousands of Musks. It is a good place for Fragrant, Pyramidal etc as well.

You could always take a punt at the Hampshire Red Helleborine site, too - close to Noar Hill. There are public paths through the wood, but unfortunately access into the compound is restricted to those with permission. They have not been recorded flowering there since 2007, but you never know!!

Sean

Hi Benjamin

If you're going to the New Forest at the weekend, you may as well call in at Noar Hill and see hundreds if not thousands of Musks. It is a good place for Fragrant, Pyramidal etc as well.

You could always take a punt at the Hampshire Red Helleborine site, too - close to Noar Hill. There are public paths through the wood, but unfortunately access into the compound is restricted to those with permission. They have not been recorded flowering there since 2007, but you never know!!

Sean

Nice one Sean will probably check those sites out as well thanks for all the help.

Ben

A few highlights from last week in Wales. There were surprising numbers of what appeared to be Leopard Marsh Orchid at Kenfig; I’d be interested in thoughts on these plants and whether they could be actually be hybrids with Common Spotted. I didn't note any Common Spotted on site.

The following day we tried for Small Whites and managed to find two spikes courtesy of Phil and Carrin’s directions. We had a look around the meadow but couldn't find any more. However, we did find two Greater Butterfly which were a few weeks away from flowering; one looked to have been stood on by a horse which won’t have helped though. There were also several non-flowering orchids which I’m struggling to identify my best guess is Lesser Butterfly; photos attached.

A visit to Fedr Fawr produced more Heath Spotted and Heath Fragrant but I was disappointed to find that the best meadows are now occupied by a herd of cows and solar panels so there are no orchids to be found where there were thousands last year including inter-genera hybrids which was my target here.

Finally, a walk around Conwy RSPB revealed over 100 Bee Orchid spikes. I couldn't find any specific varieties but two plants had reduced lip markings.

More photos can be found on my pbase site including some non-orchid highlights.
http://www.pbase.com/jameskennerley

Attachments

• ovataFenOrchid_MG_7891.jpg
    ovataFenOrchid_MG_7891.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 93
  • FenOrchid_MG_8101.jpg
    FenOrchid_MG_8101.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 65
  • SmallWhiteOrchid_MG_8374.jpg
    SmallWhiteOrchid_MG_8374.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 73
  • orchid sp. _MG_8432.jpg
    orchid sp. _MG_8432.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 78
  • orchid sp. _MG_8455.jpg
    orchid sp. _MG_8455.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 72
Just attaching photos of the marsh orchids mentioned in my previous post.

Attachments

• Marsh Orchids _MG_7635.jpg
    Marsh Orchids _MG_7635.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Marsh Orchids _MG_7650.jpg
    Marsh Orchids _MG_7650.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Marsh Orchids _MG_7858.jpg
    Marsh Orchids _MG_7858.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Marsh Orchids _MG_7873.jpg
    Marsh Orchids _MG_7873.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 48

Ian

Yes I could only see one in flower, about 30 feet from the fence and a couple of non-flowering ones near the lower fence.

Well down on last year - maybe RH's prefer cold winters?

Had a quick look for Musks on SH but didn't find any.

A few highlights from last week in Wales. There were surprising numbers of what appeared to be Leopard Marsh Orchid at Kenfig; I’d be interested in thoughts on these plants and whether they could be actually be hybrids with Common Spotted. I didn't note any Common Spotted on site.

The following day we tried for Small Whites and managed to find two spikes courtesy of Phil and Carrin’s directions. We had a look around the meadow but couldn't find any more. However, we did find two Greater Butterfly which were a few weeks away from flowering; one looked to have been stood on by a horse which won’t have helped though. There were also several non-flowering orchids which I’m struggling to identify my best guess is Lesser Butterfly; photos attached.

A visit to Fedr Fawr produced more Heath Spotted and Heath Fragrant but I was disappointed to find that the best meadows are now occupied by a herd of cows and solar panels so there are no orchids to be found where there were thousands last year including inter-genera hybrids which was my target here.

Finally, a walk around Conwy RSPB revealed over 100 Bee Orchid spikes. I couldn't find any specific varieties but two plants had reduced lip markings.

More photos can be found on my pbase site including some non-orchid highlights.
http://www.pbase.com/jameskennerley

Very interested in your last two orchids there. I'm not aware Lesser Butterfly orchids occur at the site but it is possible. I'd like to think Frog orchid is a possibility but they, like the Small White orchid, are exceptionally rare in Mid-Wales.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back