• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2014 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

I'm considering spending a day in Norfolk this weekend (and I'll be passing through Suffolk) - does anyone have any locations for Marsh Fragrant Orchid, Early Marsh Orchid, Pugsley’s Marsh Orchid, Fen Orchid, Frog Orchid, Bird's Nest Orchid or any of the helleborines? Or any odd hybrids?

I know that's a huge list, but I fancied a big orchid weekend and there a lot of species I am yet to see - though a fen orchid spot would probably be my most desired. Any advice for any of the species would be much appreciated.

Hello

It is too early for Marsh Fragrant and helleborines, and Pugsley's does not occur in Norfolk - they are Southern Marsh!

Also probably getting too late for Bird's nest and Early Marsh now.

I don't know any Frog sites, so the best choice is Fen. The two main sites are unfortunately inaccessible, but you might want to contact the warden at Upton fen, where there is a small number. Get there at 2pm on Sunday and you might drop lucky!

Sean

Princes Risborough Update

Musk Orchids at Grangelands now out and Green Flowered Helleborines in flower on Pulpit Hill and at another site towards Whiteleaf. Birds Nest Orchids still out in a couple of locations but probably past their best.

No sign of the Violet Helleborines at Whiteleaf yet.

Lots of common spotted, fragrant, twayblades - and the odd pyramidal starting to flower. Couldn't find the Frogs near the Rifle Range but not sure if they have been seen for the last few years?

have seen internet reports of Man Orchids here but would be interested in contact by PM with anyone who has seen them or knows where.

Princes Risborough Update

Musk Orchids at Grangelands now out and Green Flowered Helleborines in flower on Pulpit Hill and at another site towards Whiteleaf. Birds Nest Orchids still out in a couple of locations but probably past their best.

No sign of the Violet Helleborines at Whiteleaf yet.

Lots of common spotted, fragrant, twayblades - and the odd pyramidal starting to flower. Couldn't find the Frogs near the Rifle Range but not sure if they have been seen for the last few years?

have seen internet reports of Man Orchids here but would be interested in contact by PM with anyone who has seen them or knows where.

I'm considering spending a day in Norfolk this weekend (and I'll be passing through Suffolk) - does anyone have any locations for Marsh Fragrant Orchid, Early Marsh Orchid, Pugsley’s Marsh Orchid, Fen Orchid, Frog Orchid, Bird's Nest Orchid or any of the helleborines? Or any odd hybrids?

I know that's a huge list, but I fancied a big orchid weekend and there a lot of species I am yet to see - though a fen orchid spot would probably be my most desired. Any advice for any of the species would be much appreciated.

Frog Orchid currently at its only Suffolk site - Winks Meadow near Metfield, TM303799.

Too late for Hartslock!

Finally got to Hartslock on Tuesday after being unable to locate the reserve when the plants were at their peak a month ago, but alas it was too late for the Monkeys, Lady's and Hybrids. Plenty of Common Spotted and Twayblades laughing at me and a couple of Pyramidals poking through. These were the 'best' plants left there and way too far gone. Thanks for the directions from those who came to the rescue but work prevented me getting there in time. Next year then!

Attachments

• 0N7A1159m.jpg
    0N7A1159m.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 0N7A1161m.jpg
    0N7A1161m.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 0N7A1163m.jpg
    0N7A1163m.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 66
Unusual lip on orchid

Hello, need some identification on this unusual orchid with odd shaped lip? Found in with lots of common spotted orchids. Had a close look at all flower lips and all the same.No other types of orchid close by. Any ideas any one?

Attachments

• _DSC8473.jpg
    _DSC8473.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 115
Hello, need some identification on this unusual orchid with odd shaped lip? Found in with lots of common spotted orchids. Had a close look at all flower lips and all the same.No other types of orchid close by. Any ideas any one?

Sorry folks here is a better photo showing the lip shape, oops!

Attachments

• _DSC8471.jpg
    _DSC8471.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 159
Hello Bob - this is similar to a plant which I found in Bucks 12 years ago and did not tell anyone about. I believe that this is new to the UK - keep a photographic record as the flowers open, including the habitat. Date stamp your photos.

Peter

Hello Bob - this is similar to a plant which I found in Bucks 12 years ago and did not tell anyone about. I believe that this is new to the UK - keep a photographic record as the flowers open, including the habitat. Date stamp your photos.

Peter

Hello Peter, You don't think it is a common spotted crossed with a fragrant orchid it seams to be of similar flower shape to them both just an odd lip.
gary (bobthebuilder is my user name).

Sorry folks here is a better photo showing the lip shape, oops!

The shape suggests pyramidal and the flower that I can see looks fragrant orchid like. Pyramidal X Fragrant is my suggestion. This hybrid is known but I expect, extremely rare. Its also the white flowered form of 'both plants' too!

Does anyone know if the colour of bee orchids is affected by whether it grows in sun or shade? I was at a site today where the shaded plants had much paler flowers than their full sun counterparts.
Thanks!

Bee Orchids

Any thoughts on the two Bee Orchids pictured below, photographed in a colony in Norfolk? Certainly smart! Comparison with a more typical spike too.

Attachments

• Bee Orchid type 1.jpg
    Bee Orchid type 1.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Bee Orchid type 2.jpg
    Bee Orchid type 2.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Bee Orchid 3.jpg
    Bee Orchid 3.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 101
Nice trip to Kenfig found the Fen orchids two together and one on its own, thank you Martin for the directions they were spot on. Love this reserve never visited before and it looks great, also found a few Dark green fritillary wish I had more time. I then left and made my way to Vicarage meadows for Small white orchid and found those easily so thanks for the directions Mike, Gareth and Martin for making my trip an easy one!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 91
Had a look at the bristol lizard orchid site this morning. Could find no more than the 2 spikes already mentioned. Think it was 2 spikes last year ? The flora is very rich and dense and the spikes are hard to spot . Can the surrounding flora be too dense Brian ? What is the habitat management required by the council apart from not cutting february - august i think the sign said , just curious. I have just been informed there are 3 and possibly 4 lizard orchids . seems i missed a few but i kept roadside of the barrier.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the two Bee Orchids pictured below, photographed in a colony in Norfolk? Certainly smart! Comparison with a more typical spike too.

Hi Connor
One is close to var 'bicolor' by the looks of it (my book says divides into pale yellow basal half and uniform, red brown lower half.) The last is part of the normal variety of bees that we normally see. The 'bicolor' is a nice find!

Ian

Been out and about this weekend and found some good looking bee orchids, loads of southern marsh from those just coming into flower to those nearly finishing. Plus two sub-species of early marsh....

Norfolk

Some from today out in the Broads area.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_5246 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5246 - Copy.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5312.JPG
    IMG_5312.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5354.JPG
    IMG_5354.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5370.JPG
    IMG_5370.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5466.JPG
    IMG_5466.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 101
Had a look at the bristol lizard orchid site this morning. Could find no more than the 2 spikes already mentioned. Think it was 2 spikes last year ? The flora is very rich and dense and the spikes are hard to spot . Can the surrounding flora be too dense Brian ? What is the habitat management required by the council apart from not cutting february - august i think the sign said , just curious. I have just been informed there are 3 and possibly 4 lizard orchids . seems i missed a few but i kept roadside of the barrier.
I have not been to the Bristol site during the flowering period for a couple of years. Even though flowering numbers are low I still expect wintergreen rosette numbers to be far higher and in various stages of development. Due to the weather conditions we have had and what you have said the vegetation sounds lush. But I don't think this will be a problem. Of course the size of individual flowering spikes of Lizard orchid can vary a great deal. Flowering spikes are not always as big as those at Sandwich Bay in Kent.
It will be interesting to see if the habitat management that the council does on the site benefits the species. Belgarum bee orchid has been recorded on the embankment in the past growing amongst the field horsetail.
Thankyou for your update on the situation.

Brian Laney.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back