• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 UK Orchids (7 Viewers)

Evolution in action?

In order to avoid the problems involved with self pollination this Bee orchid has evolved a new strategy, pollinia but no stigmatic surface ;)

Attachments

• 16062016 092.JPG
    16062016 092.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 16062016 099.JPG
    16062016 099.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 106
Epipactis id please

I know that this is a UK orchids forum but can anybody help me to identify this Epipactis found last week in the Spanish foothills of the Pyrenees. Note the very wavy and shiny leaves.

Attachments

• lumixP1120931 Colungo - Pyrenees - Spain a.jpg
    lumixP1120931 Colungo - Pyrenees - Spain a.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 149
Bit of an RFI please.

I went to the well-known Cumbrian common-land site for Small White Orchid on Saturday evening to find that a local farmer had put cattle on there - evidenced by a large amount of cowpats, flattened areas of grass where they'd been resting and, unfortunately, a lot of grazing activity. Including the flowering Small White Orchids I'd gone there specifically to see.

I'll be in Glasgow this coming Thursday and Friday - prior commitments mean the daytime is already spoken for, but late afternoon/evenings will be free.

Can anyone PM detailed site info for any other SWO within a couple of hours of Glasgow please? I know they're meant to be at Freoch Meadows, for example, but we all know how big these sites are and how very small and inconspicuous the plants are!

Thanking you in advance...

Jon

A nice variety of Bee Orchids at a site in Hertfordshire from yesterday 20th June.

Cheers, Simon

Attachments

• img_3051.jpg
    img_3051.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 75
  • img_3056.jpg
    img_3056.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 83
  • img_3082.jpg
    img_3082.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 90
  • img_3102.jpg
    img_3102.jpg
    892.2 KB · Views: 85
  • img_3160.jpg
    img_3160.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 81
A nice variety of Bee Orchids at a site in Hertfordshire from yesterday 20th June.

Cheers, Simon

Glad you got to see them Simon.

Mike

P.S. I've closed my former account as 'the young hunter' in order to change my name. It was a little out of date!

Cheers, Simon

Very nice!

Ample chlorantha Bees at Sizewell doing well on Thurs (thanks CE), and a smattering at the site a few miles SE of Norwich too.

At the former location, a v washed-out Bee was intriguing. In the field it looked a LOT paler than the photo (taken with macro flash) suggests, prompting a fellow peruser to call it as chlorantha.

I visited a couple of Norfolk sites for Fens, which were fun. Always find them hard to photograph!

James

Attachments

• _LOW8748 copy.JPG
    _LOW8748 copy.JPG
    467.9 KB · Views: 93
  • _LOW8745 copy.JPG
    _LOW8745 copy.JPG
    463.3 KB · Views: 82
  • pale (flav?) Bee Orchid_Sizewel16-06-16_LOW8756.JPG
    pale (flav?) Bee Orchid_Sizewel16-06-16_LOW8756.JPG
    516.5 KB · Views: 114
  • _LOW9168 copy.JPG
    _LOW9168 copy.JPG
    346.4 KB · Views: 92
Very nice!

Ample chlorantha Bees at Sizewell doing well on Thurs (thanks CE), and a smattering at the site a few miles SE of Norwich too.

At the former location, a v washed-out Bee was intriguing. In the field it looked a LOT paler than the photo (taken with macro flash) suggests, prompting a fellow peruser to call it as chlorantha.

I visited a couple of Norfolk sites for Fens, which were fun. Always find them hard to photograph!

James

The washed out plant would fit for flavescens but it doesn't seem to be a very popularly accepted variant these days.

Mike

The washed out plant would fit for flavescens but it doesn't seem to be a very popularly accepted variant these days.

Mike

There are quite a lot of 'flavescens' scattered around a site in the Peak and I've often seen them described as Chlorantha.
For anyone in North Notts the old Bevercotes Pit it site is worth a visit, especially the area around the big lake - thousands of Dactylorhiza hybrids, Southern and Northern Marsh, Common Spotted, Bee orchids, Common Twayblades and a nice swarm of the lovely pale pink Incarnata including some very robust plants.
The new name will take some getting used to Mike :)

Hybrid

Anyone got any thoughts on this presumed hybrid?

Growing in a wet bog that holds both Heath Spotted and Southern Marsh; I assume it is a hybrid, given it is 74 cms tall, and the light spotting on the leaves. However it doesn't really look like what I would normally expect for a SMO x HSO (D. x hallii).

Rich M

Attachments

• SNV32659.JPG
    SNV32659.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 172
  • SNV32660.JPG
    SNV32660.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 102
  • SNV32661.JPG
    SNV32661.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 94
I wonder if any of you knowledgeable folk can help me.

I found the three orchids shown on a roadside verge in Northumberland at the weekend. I am assuming the first is common spotted orchid (photos 1 & 2), and the second is northern marsh orchid (photo 3), but I am stumped on the third one. Is it a hybrid between the other two? It has spotty leaves, but the flowers don't seem right for another common spotted orchid.

Attachments

• IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2156.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2158.jpg
    IMG_2158.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2185.JPG
    IMG_2185.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2182.jpg
    IMG_2182.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 125
I wonder if any of you knowledgeable folk can help me.

I found the three orchids shown on a roadside verge in Northumberland at the weekend. I am assuming the first is common spotted orchid (photos 1 & 2), and the second is northern marsh orchid (photo 3), but I am stumped on the third one. Is it a hybrid between the other two? It has spotty leaves, but the flowers don't seem right for another common spotted orchid.

Yeah, looks like the hybrid, D x venusta.

Rich

Yeah, looks like the hybrid, D x venusta.

Rich

I'll second that! And here's a Heath Spotted x Southern Marsh for comparison with your "funny", Rich...yours looks a bit closer to HSO, but probably well within the range of variation.

ian ("the antediluvian hunter"!)

Attachments

• D7K_5099.JPG
    D7K_5099.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Anyone got any thoughts on this presumed hybrid?

Growing in a wet bog that holds both Heath Spotted and Southern Marsh; I assume it is a hybrid, given it is 74 cms tall, and the light spotting on the leaves. However it doesn't really look like what I would normally expect for a SMO x HSO (D. x hallii).

Rich M

Looks good to me!

Ashdown Forest

Speaking of hybrids, here's one from today in Sussex. One of the parents is included here, can you guess which species is the other parent?

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2615.JPG
    IMG_2615.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2611.JPG
    IMG_2611.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2546.JPG
    IMG_2546.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2571.JPG
    IMG_2571.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2581.JPG
    IMG_2581.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 140
North Uist

At the beginning of the month I paid a visit to the machair on North Uist to have a look at the marsh orchids. A very variable bunch that are really pretty hard to get a handle on. I didn't see much continuity between sub-populations with huge variation. I can see why 'Hebridean Marsh orchid' has been down-graded to a subspecies. Some plants looked pretty close to Southern Marsh orchid! Still, very interesting and a wonderful place to be.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2173.JPG
    IMG_2173.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2290.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2292.JPG
    IMG_2292.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2295.JPG
    IMG_2295.JPG
    294.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2311.JPG
    IMG_2311.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 120
Speaking of hybrids, here's one from today in Sussex. One of the parents is included here, can you guess which species is the other parent?

Mike

Given that one parent (Chalk Fragrant) has a pink unmarked lip but the hybrid has a white lip marked with purple hoops, I assume the other parent must be providing the lip colouring and markings, which makes Common Spotted a good bet.

However the CF x CSOs that I've seen have had a broader lip that this plant.

There you go, sit on the fence.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back