• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

Hi all, I'm off to Kent tomorrow for a few days and hoping to catch up with some of the orchids down there that I won't have seen in East Anglia, especially Lady Orchid, Fly Orchid, Monkey Orchid and Early-spider Orchid. Staying just outside Whitstable. Was going to visit Queendown Warren and perhaps Marden Meadow for the display of Green-winged Orchids. Any help and advice from those who've been recently or know the sites really appreciated - PM if prefer (also any butterfly advice appreciated, esp for Duke of Burgundy or Pearl-bordered Frit)

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm off to Kent tomorrow for a few days and hoping to catch up with some of the orchids down there that I won't have seen in East Anglia, especially Lady Orchid, Fly Orchid, Monkey Orchid and Early-spider Orchid. Staying just outside Whitstable. Was going to visit Queendown Warren and perhaps Marden Meadow for the display of Green-winged Orchids. Any help and advice from those who've been recently or know the sites really appreciated - PM if prefer (also any butterfly advice appreciated, esp for Duke of Burgundy or Pearl-bordered Frit)

Marden is spectacular at the moment. I thought pearl-bordered frit was extinct in Kent.

Conner.
Confirming what James said. Pearl Bordered is extinct in Kent. They tried a reintroduction scheme at Tudeley but my understanding is that this died out after a few years.

Duke of Burgundy is found at Bonsai Bank (Denge Wood) along with hundreds of Lady Orchids. Information is Public and on the web. Its not that far from Whitstable.
The Early Spiders at Samphire Hoe are just past their past. Easy to find from the footpath near the railway line. Tie in with a visit to Bonsai Bank.
I think you'll find that the Monkey Orchids are not flowering yet. Parkgate Down
(public site). Again, can be tied in with a visit to Bonsai and Samphire Hoe.

Marden is slightly out of the way from Whitstable but is a wonderful site for Green Winged Orchids.

If limited for time I would leave out Queendown Warren, or perhaps call in there on the way home, concentrating on the first three, which are closer together.

Last edited:
First up anyone looking for a good display of Early Purple Orchids in South Wiltshire, now showing well this weekend a good display of several hundred specimens, some over 30cm in height from base of stem to top of flower, including some pale pink varieties at The Wiltshire Wildlife site of Little Langford Down just up from Great Wishford near Wilton South Wilts. A great display dotted along the whole slope. Most in full flower now.

Hartlock update not good from what I have just read on their blog:

"last weekend I checked and the hybrids were coming into flower nicely but the 2 Lady orchids that were expected were missing. On closer inspection they had been nipped off along with a few hybrids so it looks like deer grazing but could have been caused by human.

Monkey orchids will not be good this year, I think due to the severe drought and cold this Spring. We have found quite a few but in many places the plants don’t seem to have even sent up leaves. A few were in bud so we will have flowers but not many. I would expect them to appear next weekend at the very earliest." Hartlock.org

If it wasn't deer and humans that picked the Lady Orchids and Hybrids, then why? Mindless vandalism at a superb wildlife site!! Lets hope the people involved stay away in future for good.

If on the other hand it was deer, then why eat some and not others, and what can be done i to prevent deer from getting onto the slope in future?

Does anyone know if the naturalised / introduced Loose-flowered Orchids at Wakehurst Place, Sussex have flowered this year. Obviously I appreciate that they have been getting scarce in recent years. Also any advice about seeing them would be appreciated - is it a good idea to ask staff for example?

EPO etc

Does anyone know if the naturalised / introduced Loose-flowered Orchids at Wakehurst Place, Sussex have flowered this year. Obviously I appreciate that they have been getting scarce in recent years. Also any advice about seeing them would be appreciated - is it a good idea to ask staff for example?

They're very helpful by email (not so much by phone unless you're lucky in who you get through to) -- could save a wasted journey. There are Serapias lingua in the same patch, flowering at pretty much the same time (or at least, they were a couple of years ago).

EPO at Noar Hill excellent yesterday (and Duke of Burgundy in abundance), excellent numbers of green-winged at Gunner point though many looking *just* past their best.

ian

Attachments

• 20160514_175926_ND7_0553.jpg
    20160514_175926_ND7_0553.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 152
  • ND7_0471cr.jpg
    ND7_0471cr.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 150
  • ND7_0519cr.jpg
    ND7_0519cr.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 142
They're very helpful by email (not so much by phone unless you're lucky in who you get through to) -- could save a wasted journey. There are Serapias lingua in the same patch, flowering at pretty much the same time (or at least, they were a couple of years ago).

EPO at Noar Hill excellent yesterday (and Duke of Burgundy in abundance), excellent numbers of green-winged at Gunner point though many looking *just* past their best.

ian

Hi Ian, thank-you for the advice. I've sent them an email. Thanks also for options for other sites to visit on the day. Very kind, Phil

East Sussex orchids

A dewy Burnt Orchid from Friday, first couple of dozen now out.
Peak Early Spider from Friday Evening
Followed by a white Green Winged Orchid form the downs near Shoreham - one a couple of hundred fully out now

Attachments

• burnt.jpg
    burnt.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 165
  • early spider.jpg
    early spider.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 158
  • greenwinged.jpg
    greenwinged.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 143
Silverdale

hi
Anyone know the state of play with the orchids up in Silverdale at the moment? Thinking of visiting this coming weekend if LS out.
Thanks
Ian

Wakehurstery

Hey Phil,

Thanks also for options for other sites to visit on the day

Oh, Noar Hill & Gunner Point were just incidental comments -- bit of a hike (though doable) from Wakehurst. Mt Caburn and/or Castle Hill would probably be better, as per Allewes' posting above (though Noar Hill is always worth a visit).

Cheers
ian

Last edited:
A dewy Burnt Orchid from Friday, first couple of dozen now out.
Peak Early Spider from Friday Evening
Followed by a white Green Winged Orchid form the downs near Shoreham - one a couple of hundred fully out now

Thank you for these detailed updates. I'll be staying with friends in Brighton this weekend and I'm very keen to catch up with the Burnts at Caburn and perhaps elsewhere.

More to come do you think?

Mike

Feeling a bit left out here in the Peak with only Early Purples so far :-( - in some dales they (together with hundreds of Cowslips) are just about at their best and looking lovely, in other dales still some way from their peak flowering stage. But everywhere looking magnificent in the sunshine :) .

For those interested in the Loose-flowered Orchid(s) at Wakehurst Place, I've had a reply from Kew. I hope they don't mind me using their information on here. Unfortunately there was only one flower spike this year and it had pretty much going over by Friday last week and is probably now finished now. This year it was exceptionally early.

Sorry guys, and fingers crossed for next year. It seems we need to think about going a little earlier, and hope the small population doesn't die out altogether. Regards, Phil

Dropped in to Hartslock reserve on Saturday. I reckon the lady x monkeys are at their prime, so I wouldn't leave it much beyond next weekend before going. Also managed to see the first club-tail of the season in the trees as well as the Loddon lilies at the nearby reserve.
Visited Parkgate Down on Sunday, there were a few monkeys in tight bud with the first florets opening on a couple - much further behind than the Hartslock ones. Still lots of early purples including a white one with pink flecking.
Marden Meadow was stunning in the sunshine.
Also swung by Wakehurst Place on Sunday. The single loose-flowered orchid was still in decent condition with just the lower floret a little dry-looking. The tongue orchids were in good nick, but fewer than I've seen before and the cordoned off area is smaller than previously.

The Early Purples on my local patch are now well out and showing in a variety of colours and a variety of settings.

Attachments

• early purple orchid may 16 2016 2.jpg
    early purple orchid may 16 2016 2.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 132
  • early purple orchid may 16 2016 3.jpg
    early purple orchid may 16 2016 3.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 145
  • early purple orchid may 16 2016.jpg
    early purple orchid may 16 2016.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 148
Can anyone help me plan a visit to Wales? I'd like to see Fen Orchids at Kenfig and possibly Small White Orchids ( I have no location for those). Is there an overlap in flowering time when I would have a chance to see both on one trip?

In 2013 I did a triangular trip from Glos to Vicarage Meadows (for Small White), then to Kenfig for Fen Orchids. The Small Whites were past their best but they were marked - they'd be difficult to find if they weren't. The Fens at Kenfig were perfect but there were only two in flower. It was the day Andy Murray won Wimbledon - 7th July.

It was a fair bit of driving, not so much distance but slow country roads in mid Wales.

There are also Heath Fragrants at Vicarage Meadows.

I'm hoping to get to Kent for lady orchid next week 25 - 26 May. Will I be too late do you think?

Liz / Dave - late June should be fine for both fen orchid at Kenfig and small white orchid at Vicarage Meadows. Small whites are in the furthest field. The last couple of years they have not been marked. It takes some very careful searching on the lower slopes.

Fen orchids - please PM me and I can give you directions.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back