• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 - World Yearlist Record Attempt (1 Viewer)

Noah saw 1,139 species in Africa but saw about 66% of the African list during the year - 1726/2629.

Arjan has currently seen 39% of the African list - 1022/2629.

All the best

Here's an interesting-ish (or not) stat from the website ...

Arjan has scored 60+ new species 6 times this year; Noah scored 60+ on 5 occasions last year.

Arjan has scored 50+ (50 - 59) new species 6 times this year; Noah scored 50+ on 7 occasions last year.

So both Arjan and Noah have scored 50+ new species days overall on 12 occasions, so far ...

(Arjan scored the most on one day 117, compared to Noah's 108)

No unique species amongst the additions. As he has now left Kenya, a check shows four species recorded there by Noah not seen yet by Arjan:-
African Barred Owlet Glaucidium capense
Clarke's Weaver Ploceus golandi
Doherty's Bushshrike Telophorus dohertyi
Abyssinian Nightjar Caprimulgus poliocephalus

All the best

Arjan leaves Kenya with 460 species recorded, of which 403 are new for his biggest year list. Today he added 23 new species in Uganda, on the first of 7 days.

http://arjandwarshuis.com/the-biggest-year-the-official-first-half-year-itinerary/

In the blog, he says the trip last was 630, but I don't know if this includes birds seen by others. In any way, he recorded more than 460 species but obviously left some out of observado. I feel this is a bit of a pity, I hope he will still import some those (or at least he has those observations somewhere stored), based on e.g. trip lists compiled by his companions in the field.

In 2012 I was for 9 days with the same guide Kalu Afasi in Ghana. When I compare now my African list (species not seen by arjen) excluding WP species that number has dropped down to 104.

When I compare this list with a birder visiting Ghana longer in 2013, there is a surplus of 70 non WP species not seen by Arjen already, so 174 potential species in total. Since still some of them will probably be seen coming days, my educated guess for Ghana is at max + 150-170 (plus mayby some WP/world species)

Anyone an educated guess what will be the score by the end of Africa?

Eleven 'unique' species since the last tally:-

Dwarf Kingfisher Ispidina lecontei
Ituri Batis Batis ituriensis
Brown-eared Woodpecker Campethera caroli
Uganda Wood-Warbler Phylloscopus budongoensis
Black-bellied Firefinch Lagonosticta rara
Yellow-bellied Hyliota Hyliota flavigaster
Red-winged Pytilia Pytilia phoenicoptera
Dwarf Bittern Ixobrychus sturmii
Cassin's Hawk-Eagle Aquila africana
Pale-breasted Illadopsis Illadopsis rufipennis
Cassin's Honeyguide Prodotiscus insignis

All the best

That provides me with 517 species recorded by Arjan and not by Noah split as follows:-
Netherlands - 16
UAE - 6
Sri Lanka- 12
India - 69
Thailand - 22
Malaysia - 51
Philippines - 47
Indonesia - 39
Papua New Guinea - 91
Australia - 20
New Zealand - 9
Israel - 21
Ethiopia - 60
Kenya - 43
Uganda - 11

Noah recorded the following totals that Arjan is yet to see:-
UAE onwards - Asia, PNG, Australia, etc - 385
Western Palearctic - 83
Africa - 482

On the date head to head, Arjan is at 2,921 as at 5th May compared to 2,414 so 507 ahead.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back