• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 - World Yearlist Record Attempt (1 Viewer)

guide needed for endemics at Mt Kinabalu Borneo

Sorry if this should be posted somewhere else, glad to go there but this search function returns nothing for Borneo, etc. . I reached out for Andy Boyce just today.........any others good for January 2017 4 days in Kinabalu
Borneo. I see Arjan went there for Whitehead's etc. PM is fine.

tks

TS

Last edited:
4172: http://world.observation.org/arjan.php, still 170+ species to go, to get past Alan Davies and Ruth Miller.

Five unique species amongst the additions:-
Fawn-breasted Wren
White-banded Mockingbird
White-bellied Tyrannulet
Sungrebe
Southern Scrub-Flycatcher

The Western Hemisphere to date is as follows:-
Arjan’s unique species – 101 species
Dominican Republic – 5
Puerto Rico – 21
Suriname - 66
Brazil – 9

Species recorded by Noah in the Western Hemisphere and not yet by Arjan:-
Falklands/Antarctica – 39
Argentina – 225
Chile – 86
Brazil – 182
Peru – 447
Ecuador – 235
Colombia – 241
Panama – 65
Jamaica – 47
Costa Rica – 154
Guatemala – 93
Mexico – 163
USA – 193
Total – 2,170

All the best

It puzzled me that Arjan missed (the handsome) Ferruginous-backed Antbird in Suriname. After he did mention the species in his latest blog post on dutchbirding.nl, I checked his list again.

It appears that he accidentally added Ferruginous Babbler in Suriname instead - a Brazilian endemic he did see in Brazil a couple of days ago. I now changed the Surinamese record to FBA.

@ Paul: this might involve a minor change in your list with unique species. I wouldn't be surprised if Noah missed it (it's a northern South-American specialty).

Cheers

Last edited:
It puzzled me that Arjan missed (the handsome) Ferruginous-backed Antbird in Suriname. After he did mention the species in his latest blog post on dutchbirding.nl, I checked his list again.

It appears that he accidentally added Ferruginous Babbler in Suriname instead - a Brazilian endemic he did see in Brazil a couple of days ago. I now changed the Surinamese record to FBA.

@ Paul: this might involve a minor change in your list with unique species. I wouldn't be surprised if Noah missed it (it's a northern South-American specialty).

Cheers

This is a specie he saw on Malaysia

Unique species yesterday

Blue-tufted Starthroat
Yellow-faced Parrot
Red Tanager (lowland Hepatic Tanager)

And indeed Ferruginous-backed Antbrd is also an Unique specie

Cheers

Vincent

Noted - I presume you mean that Ferruginous Antbird becomes Ferrugionous-backed Antbird at number 3848 and Ferruginous Antbird is added at 4004 with the overall species total increasing by one.

I'll update tonight.

All the best

On FB:

Arjan Dwarshuis "I will be off the grid for the coming 5 days in the Brazilian Rainforest at the Rio Azul Jungle Lodge!!! Very excited about that, but I won't have WiFi to respond to any email or message! Happy Birding!"

And he's still on 20+ species/day - an incredible rate!

J

Last edited:
On FB:

Arjan Dwarshuis "I will be off the grid for the coming 5 days in the Brazilian Rainforest at the Rio Azul Jungle Lodge!!! Very excited about that, but I won't have WiFi to respond to any email or message! Happy Birding!"

And he's still on 20+ species/day - an incredible rate!

J

It seems a long time in one locality given the overall quest but clearly a cracking locality and he is about 500 ahead!

http://www.surfbirds.com/trip_report.php?id=1203

All the best

5 days in a lowland Amazon location is good for approx. 250-300 species, of which approx. 150 or more new.
So not too bad a rate (30/day potentially), I suppose.

Lowland tropical forest is probably the only habitat where the rate of species addition after the first day is somewhat linear, and 5 days at a species rich Amazonian lodge seems a reasonable strategy.

Presumably an update is now imminent......

http://world.observation.org/arjan.php

All the best
It is indeed, just from his facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/thebirdingexperience/?fref=nf
Our stay at the ‪#‎rioazuljunglelodge‬ with one of the best bird guides in the neotropics Bruno Renno, was absolutely magnificent. Highlights were many but a perched Crested Eagle, a Harpy Eagle, a Zigzag Heron, male Crimson Topaz, the enigmatic Bald Parrot, Curl-crested Aracari, Xingu Scale-Backed Antbird, Cinnamon Neopipo, Para Gnatcather, Tooth-billed Wren, Grey Tinamu, the newly described Tapajos Hermit, Bare-eyed Antbird, 11 species of woodcreeper, 6 species of manakin, 32 species of antbird, White-bellied Dacnis, Pale-bellied Mourner, Kawall's Parrot and last but not least this fantastic singing Pavonine Quetzal stand out from the rest. This place should be high on the International birding agenda! ‪#‎biggestyear‬ ‪#‎birding‬ ‪#‎pavoninequetzal‬

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back