• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Biggest Week in Amerian Birding Festival (1 Viewer)

Thanks Frank. I remember reading about the get-togethers you and Stet/John used to have. They sounded like a fun time. I wish he would start posting again. He has a good eye and a lot of insightful comments.

Hope you have a great weekend at the Biggest Week.

Just kinda scanning some of the info/data coming in for the Magee Marsh area... Doesn't look like this coming weekend is going to be the best.... North winds seem to have slowed down the migration a little.... Good luck to those heading up this weekend!

Stephen Ingraham reported rain, wind and road flooding to start out the opening morning.

Here is a radar image of the area at about 2:30 PM their time opening afternoon.

American Birding Week Radar.jpg

Sounds like this would be a good day to hit the optics tent.

80% chance of rain for Friday (Cleveland, OH)
60% Saturday
20% Sunday

Chuck ... to add to the response on what binoculars to pack, let me add "water proof".

Last edited:
Just kinda scanning some of the info/data coming in for the Magee Marsh area... Doesn't look like this coming weekend is going to be the best.... North winds seem to have slowed down the migration a little.... Good luck to those heading up this weekend!

South-western Ontario has been hit with cold, wind and going on 4 days of solid rain. Pelee [and I imagine most of the lower great lakes area] has been slow for migration and rarities in general. Sunday there is a risk of flurries and then the rest of the week is just so-so.

If possible, I would put off any trip to the region until we get a bonafide warm front - then the migration will be sensational!

Yesterday was not a good day to hit optics alley. The wind and rain was so bad that it actually ripped the tent apart and they closed it down shortly after 11 in the morning.

Today is a different story.....sunny and highs in the mid 50s. Lots of warblers all around Magee marsh. Most of them are yellow warblers from what I saw this morning but I'm sure there are more.

So now who wants to know what. I looked at the Monarch HG, the Swaro BTX and plan on hitting up the Leica Trinovid 32's shortly.

;)
So now who wants to know what. I looked at the Monarch HG, the Swaro BTX and plan on hitting up the Leica Trinovid 32's shortly.

Frank,

Doubt it, but if Canon is a show, please inquire when the 10X42 L IS Mk II is coming out? ;)

Thanks,

Ted

Last edited:

Hi Frank

Could you ask the Leica folks if the Trinovid 8x32 really and truly only have the same FOV as the 8x42s or is it hiccup in compiling their spec tables?????

Any info on the rumoured changes to Monarch HG?

Thanks Lee

Frank,

Would you let us know which companies are there. The list on the web site left off Maven, so there may be other optic companies that were also left off. Also, it would be nice to know some of the actual reps that are there. One gets to know some of these folks after attending a few shows so it is interesting to know who made it this year.

I am with Lee on his questions.

1) Bob posted a new link in the Leica sub forum announcing the new Trinovid 8X32. The brochure shows a FOV of only 372 ft. Subsequent discussion questioned if this number is correct. So, would you ask the true FOV for the new 8X32 and might as well also verify the 342 ft FOV printed for the 10X32.

https://us.leica-camera.com/content...ca_SO_Datenblatt_Trinovid+32er+HD_0417_EN.pdf

2) There was a post a few months ago saying Nikon USA delayed releasing the new Monarch HG in the U.S. because Nikon USA was requesting some change to the model first. Would you please check to see if that is correct, and if so, what is the difference between what is being sold now and what was introduced last summer in Europe.

3) Are the Nikon reps contracted product reps or actual Nikon employees?

Hope you are having a fun day today and the tent is back in full operation.

Ted .... For what it's worth, Canon is listed as attending. See the link in post #1. I did notice at a show I went to that the Canon people were from the camera division and did not have much personal information on the binoculars. It appeared they had some on display just as a courtesy to the optics group.

Ted,

Canon is here but only as a camera company. Nothing on the table but camera lenses. I doubt they will even know about the IS binoculars.

Troub,

The Nikon rep is contracted, not from the company and has no idea about the HG changes.

The Leica reps just received the binoculars within the last day or so. No published specs on hand but they are going to check and let me know. However, Jeff (Bouton) suggested, in an informal comparison, that they do have the same field of view as the 8x42s.

Personally, I was impressed by them optically and mechanically. Very nice binocular.

Bruce,

I think I answered everything except the companies are Nikon, Kowa, Opticron, Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica with Time and Optics being the lone sport Optics retailer.

Frank ..... Thanks for the update. Looks like Maven cancelled out. I figured the Nikon reps were contracted. The ones I have talked with tell me Nikon does not give them any inside information. If you get chance, post us some pictures of the event! :t:

Ted,

Canon is here but only as a camera company. Nothing on the table but camera lenses. I doubt they will even know about the IS binoculars.

Troub,

The Nikon rep is contracted, not from the company and has no idea about the HG changes.

The Leica reps just received the binoculars within the last day or so. No published specs on hand but they are going to check and let me know. However, Jeff (Bouton) suggested, in an informal comparison, that they do have the same field of view as the 8x42s.

Personally, I was impressed by them optically and mechanically. Very nice binocular.

Thanks Frank
Lee

Ted .... For what it's worth, Canon is listed as attending. See the link in post #1. I did notice at a show I went to that the Canon people were from the camera division and did not have much personal information on the binoculars. It appeared they had some on display just as a courtesy to the optics group.

Ted,

Thanks Bruce and Frank. Not surprised as their USA "service techs" seem to hardly know what's going on with their Bino division! :eek!:

Ted

Y

Frank,

Any informal impressions of the Monarch HG you can share? In other threads, there seems to have been debate about how sharp they are, and how effective the field flattening is.

Thanks! I truly envy you being at Magee Marsh, a place I'd love to visit.

NM

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the info about the Trinovid 8x32. It sounds like you didn't have any issue with the FOV when you tried it. If you get another chance to look through them, could you please let us know what you like about the optics and check the FOV again?

Also, did it seem rather big and/or heavy for a 32mm ?

Thanks,
Beth

I will try to give the trinovids another go tomorrow. First impressions optically are huge sweet spot, decent off axis performance, cooler color bias, very good CA control, very good apparent sharpness. Mechanically the focus was excellent. Size wise I would not call them large for an 8 x 32.

I would have guessed a field of view just over 400 feet if not pressed to compare them to other models. I'm guessing the impression is largely from the large sweet spot and larger oculars.

Nmason,

I will check out the HG's again tomorrow. Optically they were quite pleasing. Again an extremely large sweet spot but definitely not sharp edge to edge. I would believe the field flattener claim based on edge performance. Like I said I'll try it again tomorrow and see what like I said I'll try it again tomorrow and see what else jumps out at me. They do have the super smooth, almost buttery, Nikon focus.

Last edited:
I will try to give the trinovids another go tomorrow. First impressions optically are huge sweet spot, decent off axis performance, cooler color bias, very good CA control, very good apparent sharpness. Mechanically the focus was excellent. Size wise I would not call them large for an 8 x 32.

I would have guessed a field of view just over 400 feet if not pressed to compare them to other models. I'm guessing the impression is largely from the large sweet spot and larger oculars.

Nmason,

I will check out the HG's again tomorrow. Optically they were quite pleasing. Again an extremely large sweet spot but definitely not sharp edge to edge. I would believe the field flattener claim based on edge performance. Like I said I'll try it again tomorrow and see what like I said I'll try it again tomorrow and see what else jumps out at me. They do have the super smooth, almost buttery, Nikon focus.

Frank:

Nice update, sounds like fun there, except for the weather.

Are you helping at any of the booths ?

Jerry

Last edited:
Doubt it, but if Canon is a show, please inquire when the 10X42 L IS Mk II is coming out?

Ted:

I too would love to know that, but it won't happen: understandably binoculars companies are rather secretive about when upgrades of their products or new products will come out; and rumors are usually wrong: as an example there were predictions that a 32mm SF model would be launched in the fall of 2016 but it hasn't yet happened.

Peter.

Thanks Frank :) enjoy your final day at the event today.

Beth

Thank you Beth. :)

Jerry,

Of course I am. It is why I am at all these festivals all the time. ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back