• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Biggest Week in Amerian Birding Festival (1 Viewer)

Frank,

Thanks for all of the great reporting from the MaGee Marsh Birding Festival...great pics and info (especially post 43-48)! :t:

Chuck,

Also appreciate all of your findings and experiences at the festival. Must have been a wonderful time with great birding activities and new gear exposures! My current BX-3 8X32's are gone (developed severe "stickion" issues-Leupold replaced with Tiogas HD-Not Impressed)! Your comments (and the likes of Mr. Lee) concerning the Conquest HD 8X32's are not surprising (glassed with the 10X42's-NICE) and could be an excellent back-up\spouse glass to complement my EL 8X32 SV's!?

Anyway gentleman, many thanks for all of the events feedback, both birding fun and gear updates! B :)

Ted

Chuck,

Also appreciate all of your findings and experiences at the festival. Must have been a wonderful time with great birding activities and new gear exposures! My current BX-3 8X32's are gone (developed severe "stickion" issues-Leupold replaced with Tiogas HD-Not Impressed)! Your comments (and the likes of Mr. Lee) concerning the Conquest HD 8X32's are not surprising (glassed with the 10X42's-NICE) and could be an excellent back-up\spouse glass to complement my EL 8X32 SV's!?

Anyway gentleman, many thanks for all of the events feedback, both birding fun and gear updates! B :)

Ted

Thanks Ted!
Hmmmm...so the BX-3 experiment didn't turn out. So what did you do with the Tioga HDs?

I've used the Conquest HDs 8X32s the last few times I've been birding...I have to say....:t:

Thanks Ted!
Hmmmm...so the BX-3 experiment didn't turn out. So what did you do with the Tioga HDs?

I've used the Conquest HDs 8X32s the last few times I've been birding...I have to say....:t:

Hi Chuck,

Tioga HD's returned to Leupold...possibly awaiting a replacement with the upcoming BX-4 HD 8X32's!?

Actually, as a "back-up" plan, for $199 have a closeout Mojave BX-3 8X32 coming from Cabelas!!! :t:

...I have to say....:t:
Why not expand on that a bit, in a thread on this model preferably?

I am sure we will again have to say ....:t: to your report!

In particular, low light performance compared with one (at least) of the fine 8x42s you have.

Also, several eyeglass wearers report problems with seeing the full FOV. Thanks!

Also, several eyeglass wearers report problems with seeing the full FOV. Thanks!
That was my problem when I tried them out last September: not enough eye relief.

That was my problem when I tried them out last September: not enough eye relief. One person's acceptable eye relief with glasses is no guarantee it will suit all. Only way to know is to try them yourself.

Thanks Wdc. Yes I know about that variability having learnt about it from this forum.

Where I am it is very difficult or impossible to try out different binoculars. I read reports from various spectacled users to see if I can somehow co-relate their experience to my own situation. That is mostly a matter of how many of them see the FOV of a model and how many don't. The more the higher the chance it will work for me. When any parameters regarding the user are given I note them. Meanwhile I hope to come across someone with a target model who allows me a peep!

Going by reports of this model overall it is very attractive to me--if it does work for me! Strangely the Leupold Mojave 8x32 (much written about in this thread) and also the Cabelas Guide 8x32 (apparently "clones" with it) although not up there with the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 in overall optical quality seem to be better than it in that respect (again going by reports in this forum). I hope the expected Pro-Guide 8x32 excels in all aspects. Failing the Conquest and Pro-Guide in 8x32 I suppose I will finally need to turn to an 8x42.

Last edited:
The SV 8x32 should have enough eye relief. At least that one works for me, when others did not. It gets criticized for lack of glare suppression, but I've not run into it in normal use. They seem to show up fairly regularly in the classifieds, so you can save a bit of money going that route.

I am sure we will again have to say ....:t: to your report!

In particular, low light performance compared with one (at least) of the fine 8x42s you have.

I will....but I want to have all my eggs in one basket first..;)

I will say I don't have any eye relief issues with the 8X32 Conquest HD whatsoever. It's about exactly "spot-on" as is said. That's with my usual Ray-Ban frames. I have not yet tried the Conquest HD's with my Oakley's.

Looking forward Chuck. I said "compared with one at least" but I hope the Monarch-HG 8x42 will be in the basket on that day/s!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back