• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2022 is going to be my 20th year as a Birder (1 Viewer)

Congratulations, Euan. Now I have to figure out when I started.

Not quite. 2022 is my 19th year. I made check marks in books at the start, but roughly here is where it started. From 10 to 100 is a bit more unorganized.
  1. Eurasian starling (2.23.2003)
  2. American Crow
  3. northern mockingbird
  4. northern cardinal
  5. mourning dove
  6. house sparrow
  7. house finch
  8. red winged blackbird
  9. American robin
  10. tufted titmouse....then on to 75 Eurasian magpie...to 196 Atlantic puffin (2005)

Last edited:
ONE WEEK TO GO!! I can hardly believe next week will be my actual 20th anniversary. I am planning a 20th Anniversary Week Tour I can’t wait!!.

Last edited:
Looks like I might be celebrating my anniversary with my first birding trip to South America, specifically Ecuador!

Looks like I might be celebrating my anniversary with my first birding trip to South America, specifically Ecuador!
On the anniversary front it will, rather scarily, be 35 years this year since my first birding trip to South America: Venezuela. Sleeping in tents by the road and once putting them up in an abattoir, on restaurant floors, briefly hiring a car but hitching and travelling by public transport mostly and washing in rivers. Fantastic but I like a bit more luxury these days.

On the anniversary front it will, rather scarily, be 35 years this year since my first birding trip to South America: Venezuela. Sleeping in tents by the road and once putting them up in an abattoir, on restaurant floors, briefly hiring a car but hitching and travelling by public transport mostly and washing in rivers. Fantastic but I like a bit more luxury these days.
Sounds rougher than I would like, but then again it's Venezuala, something which is likely going to be off the birding radar for political reasons for the near future.

Sounds rougher than I would like, but then again it's Venezuala, something which is likely going to be off the birding radar for political reasons for the near future.
It was our very low budget that made it that way and at 20 it's easier to cope with. A fantastic country, with superb wildlife and extremely friendly people. Four of us slept on a restaurant floor for two nights. On the second day they only charged us for alcoholic drinks; all food was on them. Pity it has turned into such a nightmare.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back