• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2022 Targets and Goals (1 Viewer)

5 Edible Dormouse. Had some good info from John a while back and it seems like one where you can plan a definite trip and hopefully have a good experience.
John's probably already said this but I think the knack is to look some time after dusk, when they are less nervous, to get good views

My main goal would be getting 600 in the ABA area. I'm currently at 572 and I have a trip to south Texas planned in April, so hopefully I should hit it there with the S. Texas specialties and a few eastern migrants that I haven't gotten out here in California. It would also be nice to get somewhere in the ballpark of 475 for my California list.

For the Wisconsin people: my first, and I am not sure but probably only, Kentucky warbler was in Wyalusing SP on the side of WI river walking down from the cliff edge campground. More years ago than I care to think about (mid 1990ties).

No travel properly planned, but possibly California late April-early May. Lifers on that trip will be difficult to get to because I have visited a number of times before
Niels

If there is anything I have learned in the last couple of years, its that life's short and you should enjoy it while you can. You never know when you might get hit by a bus or gored by a cassowary after all!
No cassowaries planned in the next year fortunately.

But I agree with your point. My mom was diagnosed with Parkinson's right after she and my dad retired, so they never got to enjoy retirement like they planned. It's one reason why I retired when I was 58.

No cassowaries planned in the next year fortunately.

But I agree with your point. My mom was diagnosed with Parkinson's right after she and my dad retired, so they never got to enjoy retirement like they planned. It's one reason why I retired when I was 58.
Indeed.

Having had my first heart attack at the ripe old age of 39 and coming from a long line of men on my father's side who mostly died young of various ailments, this is certainly on my mind. Not to mention I have had two colleagues in the last year both diagnosed with potentially lethal diseases, who are not a whole lot older than I am.

Three main goals for the coming year:

1. I’ve finally booked a trip to the Dominican Republic in March and have already bought the airline tickets. I almost booked the trip a couple of times late last year and early this year but Covid concerns kept me in the US. This time I’m going come hell or high water.

On this trip I’m hiring a local guide for a week. Something I’ve never done before, but I may do a lot of my international trips this way from now on. The cost is much less than the big tour companies, I can go when it’s convenient for me, I can determine the length of the trip, and I can dedicate as much effort as I want on certain targets.

2. I’m also planning another international trip next fall or early winter. I haven’t decided on the destination but it will have to be a country without excessive Covid restrictions. I’m toying with the idea of Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Peru, or Puerto Rico. I’ve never been to Costa Rica or Puerto Rico, so both are high on my wish list

3. My main goal for local birding is to see more species in my county than I did this year. This was a horrible birding year, even though I put in more effort than normal. I missed several key species that I usually see, and very few rarities showed up. I usually see over 200 species in my county in a year but I’ve only seen 192 so far. I might get some new birds by the end of the year, but probably not eight.

Dave

One thing about no "excessive Covid requirements": Things can change rather quickly.

This summer, I booked a tour to Ecuador in January because they allowed tourists in with either a test or a vaccine card. Two weeks ago, they changed the requirements to need both a test result AND a vaccine card. And they went with the most precise (longest turnaround for results) test. I would up having to change my fights just to accommodate the availability of testing here.

No targets, no goals. Just happy to be alive. Am I the only one?
That's always a bonus ;-)

I've never particularly set particular targets or goals, but usually have good intentions to do a yearlist, or improve my local list or garden list or whatever, but it always seems to fizzle out for some reason or another. Am I the only one who is rubbish at carrying through?

That's always a bonus ;-)

I've never particularly set particular targets or goals, but usually have good intentions to do a yearlist, or improve my local list or garden list or whatever, but it always seems to fizzle out for some reason or another. Am I the only one who is rubbish at carrying through?
β€˜Fraid so Dan, I assumed you’d stoped birding altogether πŸ˜‰

I don't expect to be going on any overseas trips in 2022 so my goals are all UK based.
  1. At least one full eBird list everyday to maintain my 'streak' that should reach 1000 next Tuesday
  2. At least 100 hours birding each month
  3. See some of the many common species I have missed out on in 2020/21 due to Covid restrictions and the resulting apathy
  4. Hopefully get at least one UK lifer after a blank 2021 (unless I finally decide to go to Blacktoft Sands in the next fortnight)

Did you see nothing on the journey either to or from the Black Gate of Mordor? Not even a Nazgul? o_O

John

But the Nazgul are not birds. Nor, arguably, the winged creatures upon which they ride.
And so, be careful when peering at the skies. Because as you gaze, they may be standing at your side.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back