• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2cy Falco sp. - Hobby or Eleonora's? - Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone,

we got this cool falcon today but couldn't ID it conclusively - right now we're stuck between Hobby 2cy and Eleonora's 2cy, with characters pointing towards both. While searching for the ID we kind of found out identification of the birds in this age group isn't really easy and we would be glad for any help and opinions from people with more experience than us. Thanks a lot in advance!!

Location is Sofia, 06.08.2021, which would be untypical for Eleonora's. Eye ring was wide and grey, pointing towards it, together with larger size (as far as we could judge), obvious rufous in tail, white on tertials. Head marking is of Hobby though and seeing how variable the two species can be we thought best to check with experts.

Cheers,
Teo

Attachments

• DSCN9835.JPG
    DSCN9835.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 126
  • DSCN9821.JPG
    DSCN9821.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_7167.jpg
    IMG_7167.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_7250.jpg
    IMG_7250.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_7151.jpg
    IMG_7151.jpg
    614 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_7206.jpg
    IMG_7206.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_7218.jpg
    IMG_7218.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_7181.jpg
    IMG_7181.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 136
Thing is... it has/they have face-pattern which is right for hobby (upward extension of white to rear of ear-coverts) and wrong for Eleonora's falcon.

Thing is... it has/they have face-pattern which is right for hobby (upward extension of white to rear of ear-coverts) and wrong for Eleonora's falcon.
Exactly, but then we found this ID-ed bird here (Eleonora’s Falcon. 2cy.), which has practically the same pattern, and we went back to the drawing board. I don't have any experience with the moult these two species go through in their second year, so I thought best to ask.

Thanks everyone, after I read the paper it does tip towards Eleonora's! If someone else sees the bird again I'll check if they made better photos and post them here.

Cheers
Teo

I think I see reddish feathers down near where they should be in Hobby. Further, isn't Eleanora's dirty brown in juv, rusty brown all over in adult male on the chest?
Eleanora's were not on the Bulgaria list in 2015 when I visited the country, or on avibase today.

Yes , but doesn't the Eleanora's rusty feather extend upwards, whereas in photo 7 they are limited, more like Hobby?
Andy, these second cal year birds are extremely variable in body moult and can look strange at moments. And sec cal year Hobby and Eleonora's is a pitfall and not straightforward at all, you need to look at all the characters

I think I see reddish feathers down near where they should be in Hobby. Further, isn't Eleanora's dirty brown in juv, rusty brown all over in adult male on the chest?
Eleanora's were not on the Bulgaria list in 2015 when I visited the country, or on avibase today.
Andy, Eleanora's is on the Bulgarian List as an accidental/irregular visitor with an average of fewer than 5 sightings per year. There have been a couple of sightings recently.

Chris

Andy, these second cal year birds are extremely variable in body moult and can look strange at moments. And sec cal year Hobby and Eleonora's is a pitfall and not straightforward at all, you need to look at all the characters
Thanks very much Tom. With your input and that of Chris, I can now accept that Eleanora's is more probable than Hobby. In my own limited experience, I have photographed quite a few Eleanora's on Dragonera and Hobby in several countries, I have never seen an Eleanora's with such a pale upperbelly and chest. The concensus on this thread is leaning towards Eleanora's, which on this forum, tends to be a good indication of what's what.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back