• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2nd hand lenses for dslrs. (1 Viewer)

stevo

I am thinking about buying a dslr in the near future,probably a canon eos 10d.My question is are 2nd hand lenses a good buy?Plus are their any pitfalls to watch out for?(other than the obvious ones)
Thanks in advance

Steve B :) B :)

Steve

I've bought second hand camera gear in the past and had no problems. Most reputable dealers will offer a guarantee and some give a refund/replacement if the items are not suitable - usually if bought unseen by mail order.

I find it's best to handle equipment before purchase. That way you can check the condition or for any damage. Jessops, for example, will arrange to transfer any second hand items to a local store for you to try first.

The main problem I used to get was finding the right item in the first place. Good used equipment goes quickly because of the cost saving!

AndyC

I would agree with Andy. Good secondhand equipment, especially at reasonable prices, if you can find it goes very quickly. The good news if you buy new is that brand name, such as Canon L Series lenses, holds it value for many years. It is not uncommon for such lenses to retain 50-75% of original value for many many years if they are kept in good working condition. If budget is an issue I would consider third parties lenses, such as Sigma as results can be indestinquishable from more expensive lenses at a lower costs than even used Canon L series lenses. The only pitfall is to buy from a reputable source where you can try before you buy.

Vogelman (Sigma 28-80 F3.5-F5.6, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 300 F2.8L IS)

I've just checked some used items out and I find that some of the Nikon manual focus cameras and lenses appear to more expensive now than when I bought them new over 20 years ago!

Steve, if you want to check out secondhand equipment, then take a look at Amateur Photographer. They have (or used to have) a lot of dealer listings and private sales every week.

AndyC

Steve as Andyc says try A/P lots of dealer advertise there,most will give a six month warranty.Have brought some items out of A/P and never any problems.

Thanks to everybody for all your help & advice,I will certainly look in the magazine mentioned.
Regards Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back