• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 Flycatchers from central Peruvian lowlands (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Hi again,

Another series from El Paujil, west-central Peru, elevation 400 masl.
And of course, one can't (or at least, I can't) be in the Neotropics without encountering some pesky Tyrannids!

1. I think this is a white-lored tyrannulet? It matches quite well with photos I've seen online, it just seems like a chunkier bird, with a bigger bill, than what is depicted in the book.

2. I always struggle with Tolmomyias. Based on range (-10.346169, -75.256793), habitat (this was terra firme), and iris color, this should be yellow-margined?
Also, if someone could explain what is this wing speculum that is often mentioned for these species, I would be most grateful

3. Not sure about this one. Maybe forest elaenia? It was in nice primary forest, several hundred meters from the river, midcanopy, with a mixed flock.

Many thanks as always.

Thibaud

Attachments

• f43068928 ornithion.jpg
    f43068928 ornithion.jpg
    809.1 KB · Views: 32
  • f13979136 tolmo.jpg
    f13979136 tolmo.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 22
  • f43433984 ela 1.jpg
    f43433984 ela 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • f43857920 ela 2.jpg
    f43857920 ela 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • f43147264 ela 3.jpg
    f43147264 ela 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
Think you're probably right about 1), 2). Not sure about 3) although forest is plausible. The speculum is pale bases to the primaries as Schulenberg et al say, but not sure to what extent it's visible/apparent on the closed wing. It should be clear when the bird flies as a pale band then, analogous to the coloured panel in the secondaries of ducks' wings, although can't say it's a strong memory for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back