• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 Legged Thing tripods for birding & travelling? (1 Viewer)

amythebirder

I've been thinking about getting a travel tripod to make it easier when travelling by bus/train/ferry, as my current tripod is good but long. Even walking sometimes it would be handy to have the tripod in my rucksack if the journey to a site isn't a birdy area. Originally gave up looking at travel tripods as they didn't sound that sturdy but noticed some of the 3 Legged Thing tripods have a maximum load capacity of 30kg which is more than my tripod can support (mine can support 18kg and is ok for windy seawatching). Are they as sturdy as they sound?

Hi Amy, I can't help regarding 3 legged thing tripods, as I have no experience with them - I suspect a factor in selecting the best tripod for your uses will be which scope you are using - e.g. my Nikon ED50 can be used with a much smaller Velbon Luxi tripod, whereas my Nikon ED82 requires something more substantial as a minimum.
For many years I used a Velbon CF 535 which was a full sized tripod capable of folding down to approx 40cm - very useful for travelling. I replaced it with a Benro CF tripod which is nearly as small, but sadly has thinner legs, so not quite so stable when using the bigger scope. The Mach3 4 section looks a reasonable bet in terms of support and portability.

Thanks Daniel, I'll look into those. I'd be using my Swarovski STX65 so would need a stable enough tripod, but something more compact would be handy. Had been looking at 3 Legged Thing Bucky as it looked a good height and compact, but maybe legs too thin. c40cm, maybe up to 50cm when folded would fit in either rucksack

Hi Amy,

Some of these travel tripods have as many as five leg sections and even multi-section centre columns, which I think would involve a significant sacrifice in stability. For sea-watching in a blow that would be a big step backwards. Without knowing anything about their quality, the prices also seem to be in the region of acknowledged premium brands.
For travel to a birding site, why not acquire a tripod shoulder bag that will accommodate your present tripod and head? Once in the field you could fold it up and stow in your rucksack.

John

Thanks John, I guess the centre column in particular is a bit odd and effectively always extended due to the multi-sections (or at least higher than "normal" tripods), and the tripods with backwards folding legs wouldn't work with birding heads. Currently only use the centre column in calm conditions. I'm told the smallest leg diameter is 14mm for the 5 section tripods, which is much thinner than Gitzo mountaineer series 2 or 3 but similar to some of the Manfrotto.

Trying a case again would be the cheapest option, so will give it another go. Found attaching a shoulder strap to the tripod (and scope in rucksack) didn't work well, so far.

Three-Legged Thing tripods don't have a good reputation. One of the issues is their load ratings are pure fantasy. Unfortunately they also have a very active marketing team that is very good at bamboozling gullible online reviewers. The Center Column is probably the most rigorous site to review tripods and theirs is scathing:

I would suggest you check their rankings of tripods by class. Keep in mind what kind of head you use makes a huge difference. I've found a Gitzo Traveler tripod with a ProMediaGear Katana Jr gimbal head performs as well for my Meopta MeoStar 82 HD+ spotting scope as a Series 2 Mountaineer with a Manfrotto 128RC pan-tilt head.

Three-Legged Thing tripods don't have a good reputation. One of the issues is their load ratings are pure fantasy. Unfortunately they also have a very active marketing team that is very good at bamboozling gullible online reviewers. The Center Column is probably the most rigorous site to review tripods and theirs is scathing:

I would suggest you check their rankings of tripods by class. Keep in mind what kind of head you use makes a huge difference. I've found a Gitzo Traveler tripod with a ProMediaGear Katana Jr gimbal head performs as well for my Meopta MeoStar 82 HD+ spotting scope as a Series 2 Mountaineer with a Manfrotto 128RC pan-tilt head.
If Three Legged things have a scathing reputation they would'nt be in business, but they clearly are. The Tripod tested by 'The centre column' is an old version. I have an Albert 2 and it is rock steady for Swaro ATX 85. I use one of the legs as a monopod to support my canon HF g60 camcorder without any worries. For travel, yes could be a tad lighter but when you have expensive gear it needs to be supported by a good tripod but one has to be prepared to pay. You pays your money and take your choices as they say. I only bought this as I couldn't get replacement parts fpr a most reliable Giotto Tripod sadly no longer made.

I've been thinking about getting a travel tripod to make it easier when travelling by bus/train/ferry, as my current tripod is good but long. Even walking sometimes it would be handy to have the tripod in my rucksack if the journey to a site isn't a birdy area. Originally gave up looking at travel tripods as they didn't sound that sturdy but noticed some of the 3 Legged Thing tripods have a maximum load capacity of 30kg which is more than my tripod can support (mine can support 18kg and is ok for windy seawatching). Are they as sturdy as they sound?
If Three Legged things have a scathing reputation as suggested by one of your replies they would'nt be in business, but they clearly are. The Tripod tested by 'The Centre Column'(American) is an old version. I have an Albert 2 and it is rock steady for Swaro ATX 85. I use one of the legs as a monopod to support my Canon HF g60 camcorder without any worries. For travel, yes could be a tad lighter but when you have expensive gear it needs to be supported by a good tripod but one has to be prepared to pay. You pays your money and take your choices as they say. I only bought this as I couldn't get replacement parts fpr a most reliable Giotto Tripod sadly no longer made. You may like to look at 3LT Punks Billy 2.

I have the original Winston. It has three leg sections and a removable center column. At the time it was their sturdiest and strongest and I consider it to be still easily portable even though it does not fold down to backpack size. It supports binos, a Swaro BTX and a Fuji X-Tx with the 100-400 and a TC without fail or complaint (not all at the same time obviously). I will put the 3LT Airhed Cine on it soon for better BTX viewing.

The more leg sections, the less stable ANY tripod becomes, not just 3LT ones. And an active marketing team is not negative per se, or would you call a Porsche 911 crap just because Porsche have top-tier marketing. Lastly, one single bad review of one single item out of a lineup really isn't saying much, unless that very item was the one you are after. That's the problem with advice from people who have no personal experience with the item in question and instead just point at second or even third hand information. Like those answers on that online seller site that go something like "I don't have the XYZ your asking about, but the ABC I use is brilliant".

Was looking for info on these and thought I'd add a glowing review that I came across... to redress the balance. The reviewer is normally pretty reliable - I've read his reviews of photographic gear and he doesn't normally get too carried away:

And another one:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back