• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 Species / Africa (1 Viewer)

We were told that the coastal areas of Namibia especially get only 7mm of rain in a year. So we were surprised on our first visit in April/May 2011 that we had to be towed out of the mire twice in our first half-day (much to the embarrassment of our guide/driver and the amusement of locals with their donkey cart which got through). We saw South African Shelduck in the lake at Sossusvlei, and Dead Vlei was closed due to flooding. All of the (usually underground) rivers were overground, and we had to detour via Walvis Bay to get to Swakopmund because the direct road was flooded. In fact, there was more than 7mm of rain each day of the week we were there.

We haven't been to South Africa yet (except as a stopover); we were saving that for a long trip after full retirement. But we would have been in Botswana and/or Namibia last year if conditions had allowed. I wonder when we'll be able to go again? I wonder how the lovely people who looked after us and showed us their country are surviving without visitors?

1. Not so common White Springbok (our guide asked us for photo copies, as he hadn't seen this either)
2. Locals laughing at us as their donkey cart got through the mire, but we got stuck
3. Lake Sossusvlei
4. Kuiseb River
5. Kuiseb River birding

View attachment 1368801View attachment 1368802View attachment 1368803View attachment 1368804View attachment 1368805

Thank you for sharing your experience there. It's a very special part of the world. Did you get to see the Dune Lark in the Namib? I did :) Not an easy one!

We haven't been to South Africa yet (except as a stopover); we were saving that for a long trip after full retirement. But we would have been in Botswana and/or Namibia last year if conditions had allowed. I wonder when we'll be able to go again? I wonder how the lovely people who looked after us and showed us their country are surviving without visitors?
Its something that has been concerning us too. It is difficult enough with the years of drought they have had. Our friend have a game lodge and a farm. When he drought was bad they lost a lot of cattle to slaughter at very poor prices, but they had the lodge to tie them over. Quite a few people, especially the tennants of smaller lodges will be struggling, but the staff will have it worse, I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back