• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

red winged blackbird? (1 Viewer)

henry

Henry
The only photos of this bird that I can find in pubs is with wings extended. The other thing is that the song seems all wrong this bird had a very long song....I know, I know...what a newbie....

Attachments

• mvc-003s.jpg
    mvc-003s.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 334
Yup, red-winged blackbird. I should be seeing them here soon. I find their call is often like that of a ringing telephone!

Hi Henry,

I note your use of the term pubs, by which I assume you mean publications. Over here a "pub" is were you go for a drink or several, and usually most are not very enlightening regarding bird identification.

Paul

You know Paul...you may have come up with the reason why I've been having difficulties identifying these winged creatures!

Henry, I don't want to be a spoilsport but there is a possibility that your bird is a Tricolored Blackbird. To me, your bird's coverts seem buff colored with a little red. The tricolored coverts can be buff/red or white/red. The Red-wing's coverts are orange-red. Since the song doesn't fit , consider the possibility of it being a Tricolored.

What do you think, Tammie, think it can be a Tricolored?

Last edited:
Could be either one. I've had redwings here that have that buff color as well. Hard to tell unless it's a close up, really. Also, I've heard redwings make so many different sounds, it's again hard to tell unless you can actually hear it.
I'm willing to say it could very well be a tri-colored.

Alrighty then...photo critics....lol....let me try to get a good one. I'm sorry I just started birding, how fun is this? Hmmm, wonder if this is a sign of aging? Sedate hobbies.....hmmmm

Can do better than that Steve, there is a pub in a small Cambridgshire village called the Three Blackbirds, though none of them have any coloured wing patches so I don't supose that helps much!

Henry, we're photo critics with good hearts! :) We were all new at this at one point or other... I'm definitely very, VERY far from knowing all I'd like to about this. I'm also still just learning with the camera. Just got my digital last summer. It sure is fun learning though!

Okay, I will weigh in here. I think it is definitely a Red-winged Blackbird. That buff color gives it away. The call can easily fit the scenario, heard a long call the other day (we do not get Tricolor here). I have had the oppotunity to literally examine these side by side, in the wild, on more than one occasion, and once you see that there is never any more questions that the Tricolored is really quite white when compared to the Red-winged. However, I could not really tell this until I saw them side-by-side. Before I had this comparision, at times I thought the Tricolor looked buff, and it can to a certain degree, but not when up against the Red-winged. Also, I have never really seen a true orange/red combination on the Red-winged (of course, now I have to look through the thousands of them to be sure). As a for instance, look at my Red-wing in the gallery.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back