• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

3D sound? (1 Viewer)

Jon.Bryant

I have always thought that it is impossible to accurately record song flights of birds correctly. If you record a bird in mono with a directional mic, and track the bird well, it sound like it either doesn't or hardly moves, and it you don'r track it well , if sounds as if it momentarily zooming off into the distance. A stereo recording with mics fixed in location doesn't help, with the 3D flight compressed into a 2D plane - the movement now sounding like the bird is travelling a bit to the left or right and a bit further away or closer again (dependent on relative position to the mics), but not with a hint that the bird is travelling vertically.

I note that there are now a few ambisonic mics available, and that the output an be rendered to binaural audio. Some recording devices are capable of the rendering/decoding onboard, so you can monitor the 3D audio in the field. I have just tried listening with headphones to some binaural recordings (but not of birds), and was surprised by the fact that things did sound front, left, right, and quite weirdly behind and even above me. The science of how two speakers can create such an effect is beyond me!

My question is whether anyone has experience of recording using ambisonic mics to create binaural recordings that capturing bird movement, or if they have ever heard any such recordings. I am dazzled by the idea that I could record a dawn chorus, an environment or song flight in 3D, but suspect that things may not be a simple as a fancy mic and an ambisonic plug in for my recorder.

Regards

Jon Bryant

Dave Boyle

I've been wondering about this too - I do a bit of work in busy seabird colonies & being able to capture the 3D sound of 1000s of Sooty Shearwaters calling before dawn would be amazing!

I'm guessing you've seen the Zoom H3-VR? It looks like the most affordable option. I had been put off by some reviews but I stumbled across this the other day which makes it sound more promising -

Jon.Bryant

I hadn't seen the review - thanks for the information.

Looks like the Zoom records Ambisonic A and B plus Binaural and Stereo, so a choice for capturing the environment.

I am new to all this, but from the Sennheisser website, I understand Ambisonic A is the 'raw' 4 (or 6?) channel file, B is processed and ready for use in VR, then Binaural is the output for listening to over headphones.

I was amazed to read that with the A format, you can 'turn' the mic. Say you were recording a dawn chorus, and the star of the show started singing to the left, you could post process and 'swing' the sound round, so that the star bird is in front, then render to Binaural (or Stereo) and the bird will sound center stage!

Binaural is confusing and starting to blow my mind. I was looking at some software and it looks like optimum results may be dependent on the size of your head and the position of your ears. The 'off the shelf' binaural sounds I have listed to (not of birds) were impressively immersive, but to 'optimize' the sound, I understand that it may be best to take the Ambisonic B file and render it to Binaural, selecting a virtual dummy head, that most closely fits your own dimensions.

Seems like a fair bit of work, but I think the results could be really impressive.

Regards

Jon

Patrick Franke

freelance ornithologist & sound recordist
Hi Jon,

I don't know if you've made any progress on the topic in the meantime. I work with 3D audio on a regular basis and can tell you a lot about it, if necessary recommend hardware and software.
If you are still interested, please let me know!

Best, Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread