• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

400 In A Year?? (1 Viewer)

Ian Bennell

With the Veery on Muck being the 450th species of 2011 (UK 400 rules) I just wondered whether someone with unlimited time and money ( if there is such a person?!) could potentially see 400 species in a calendar year?

unlimited time, money and access to a fully fuelled light aircraft would put you in with a decent chance although there would still be a "one dayer" to miss on Foula while you were twitching St Martin's.

The force is strong in young Luke...
We must take action now before he is seduced by the dark side!
Quick get him to the BOU academy for young Jedi listers before the evil Darth Lergy catches wind of him :)

What is the record year list---I suspect Lee either has it or knows who does.
Mine is 217 all in NE Scotland.

What is the record year list---I suspect Lee either has it or knows who does.
Mine is 217 all in NE Scotland.

Believe it's somewhere around 380, and the subject of some controversy in certain quarters. But PLEASE let's not go there.

With the cost of fuel as high as it is, I'd be relatively surprised if anyone ever sets out to do a seriously big year like this again - it would be incredibly expensive. And you'd need a big slice of luck to get near the record, let alone 400, with enough rarities turning up and lingering in twitchable locations.

That said - it's pretty straightforward compared to doing a big year in the US... and folk keep on trying at those!

400 would have been achieved this year, I think. I did (with Malc Curtin for competition) 350 BOU (364UK400) in 2007 when fuel costs and species were a hell of a lot lower. With regards unlimited time and money, it did take up all of my time and not much change out of £30k, ouch. Was good fun but hard work and I wouldn't do it again. Can't imagine massive year lists will be achieved again.

Cheers
Jason

I recall the year list record is held by Adrian Webb.

Adrian Webb year list record was 383 using the UK400 rules in year 2000 which includes Britain and Ireland. This is still the all-time year list record.

Since that date there have been more UK400 splits so his final figure would be higher because I am pretty certain he did see some of the new splits as well.

So getting 400 in one year using the UK400 rules would be quite possible in the right year. However getting 400 on the BOU/IRC list would be much more difficult and perhaps impossible.

Last edited:
Back of the net

Ring Bill Oddie ... about the likelihood of seeing 400 in a year. The question is, which do more people "list" to nowadays:

- UK400 (Britain and Ireland)
- UK400 (Britain only)
- BOU / IBRC
- BOU only

I suspect the answer is the last option? Time to phone a friend.

Last edited:
How about highest county totals for a year?
Currently on 235 in 2011 for Norfolk but reckon there must be some totals nearing 300?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back