• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

4k Monitor for photo editing yes or no (1 Viewer)

Taxboy

I'm looking to upgrade to a 27" monitor for photo editing - I don't do video.
Looking for recommendations please on whether to go for a 4k version or not.

My online research has left me confused with some saying it makes it difficult to assess sharpness with 4k whilst others claiming anything other than 4k is old tech.

Any plain language advice appreciated

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I have a 32" 4k monitor and do not feel it is difficult to view whether it is sharp. I bought it mainly for being future proof: my camera is 4k video capable and I don't know if I will start using that. If you are 100% sure you will not use video, then 4k might be overkill for you.

One thing to look out for is whether the monitor is intended for gaming with all sorts of color adjusting software built in. I actively avoided that because I feel it would make it much more difficult to judge colors correctly.

Niels

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
One possible problem with 4k monitors is program scaling. Most current programs will scale their menus and dialog boxes to suit but some older programs will not making them appear very small. It is usually possible to run them in compatibility mode but this may not be possible with printer and scanner dialog boxes. It is worth a quick Google to see if anyone has had problems with a particular version of a program and 4k scaling.

mummymonkey

Supporter
United Kingdom
I would get a 4K panel for sure.
I buy & evaluate a lot of IT equipment for local government and for CAD, mapping and image creation 4K is a no-brainer.

Taxboy

I have a 32" 4k monitor and do not feel it is difficult to view whether it is sharp. I bought it mainly for being future proof: my camera is 4k video capable and I don't know if I will start using that. If you are 100% sure you will not use video, then 4k might be overkill for you.

One thing to look out for is whether the monitor is intended for gaming with all sorts of color adjusting software built in. I actively avoided that because I feel it would make it much more difficult to judge colors correctly.

Niels
Thanks for that I can't ever see me getting into video though. I'm looking at IPS monitors with Adobe RGB colour space

Taxboy

I would get a 4K panel for sure.
I buy & evaluate a lot of IT equipment for local government and for CAD, mapping and image creation 4K is a no-brainer.
I would only use it for photography so does 4k make a difference here please

mummymonkey

Supporter
United Kingdom
I would only use it for photography so does 4k make a difference here please

Yes. I was including photography under "image creation" really.
For the issues described above by Mono we've not had any that couldn't be fixed by changing the High DPI scaling settings:

1606924601377.png

Maybe you could get a look at one or two units before buying? (Not always possible I appreciate)

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
For the issues described above by Mono we've not had any that couldn't be fixed by changing the High DPI scaling settings:
I agree this can solve most things but a problem I have had is with printer and scanner dialogs. One cannot access such DPI settings for printer dialogs and I can recall a particular printer whose many fancy options were inaccessible because the scaling is all wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread