• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

5/18/08 - Powerline Road (1 Viewer)

I got a late start on Powerline Road. Fortunately the clouds started forming over the saddle just as I arrived, saving me from compounding yesterday's sunburn. It never rained, so I was able to stay out past sunset, but stayed near the road and trail.

'Apapane counts were a bit down, but (like yesterday) i'iwi were down too. Also very few white-eyes, thankfully.

At the good kipuka 3 miles in I got 'akepa and 'akiapola'au along the road in the first 8 minute count. I spent a half hour trying to get a photo of the 'akepa, during which I heard at least one Hawai'i creeper nearby. I eventually saw at least 3 'akiapola'au and at least 3 'akepa in just 4 hours along the road in the good kipuka, and got some fairly good 'akepa photos. This is the 3rd or 4th consecutive time I've heard 'akepa shortly after arriving at the kipuka, and as many 'akepa as I've ever seen here in a day.

On the way back I detoured to visit the small Pu'u O'o Trail kipuka in the 1855 lava field. I thought I heard 'akiapola'au several times, but too far on the other side of the kipuka for the count. I found another specimen of the unusual vining melicope that I only see in saddle kipukas, and only 1-3 plants per kipuka - I still don't know which species it is.

Attachments

• DSC_16880_800shb.jpg
    DSC_16880_800shb.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_16897_800s.jpg
    DSC_16897_800s.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_16953_800sh.jpg
    DSC_16953_800sh.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_16978_800shc.jpg
    DSC_16978_800shc.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_17091_800sh.jpg
    DSC_17091_800sh.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back