• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

5 Days in Singapore: Best Birding Places (1 Viewer)

solarrobor

I will in Singapore from 26 September till 2 October.
Which are the best birding spots to go to to see most of Singapore's birds?
I am particlularly interested in seeing the Oriental Pied Hornbill, and Sunbirds.
I will be spending a day on Pulau Ubin.

Thanks.

Pulau Ubin is a reliable place for Oriental Pied Hornbill (and there's a single Black Hornbill mixing with them you might chance upon) and all of Singapore's sunbirds can be found there (especially Copper-throated Sunbird at the mangroves, and the rare Ruby-cheeked at Chek Jawa).

I was there for two days (no, not enough and I am keen to return) and went to the botanical gardens (Mission Control was keen to see the orchid collection) and enjoyed a few hours birding. Still not sure what some of the birds were but enjoyable

I will in Singapore from 26 September till 2 October.
Which are the best birding spots to go to to see most of Singapore's birds?
I am particlularly interested in seeing the Oriental Pied Hornbill, and Sunbirds.
I will be spending a day on Pulau Ubin.

Thanks.

Interesting... I was overlapping with you! I was there on-and-off between 19 September and 2nd October.

Would like to know where you went and what you saw.

Fitting in birding between customer meetings and travel to other parts of SE Asia, I was pleased to hit 50 species including 32 lifers!

I had two full days free while I was there, the Saturday in the middle of the trip and the Saturday at the end of the trip.

The first one I spent at Bukit Timah NR in absolutely atrocious conditions. Tropical rain, almost continuous for 4 hours before I gave up and went back to my hotel to dry out. Hardly any birds seen, as the conditions presumably drove them into cover, but I did have a close encounter with a very cool snake, Wagler's Pit Viper.

The second Saturday was spent at Pulau Ubin, which was a very enjoyable trip. Took an early "bumboat" out from Changi Village, and spent the whole day walking around the forests and coastline, and this time mostly managing to avoid the rain. Highlights were close fly-bys from a White-bellied Fish Eagle and a Black-winged Kite, watching a flock of Pin-striped Tit-babbler scouting along the shoreline from one of the boardwalks out into the sea, and the quite amazing Butterfly garden, where I saw more than 20 stunning species.

In fact, I picked up the vast majority of the species during the rest of the week, as, whenever I had a spare hour at the end of the day or between meetings, I would walk around my local area (one-north Park/Queenstown) or make a short exploration of a promising area (Dover Forest, Botanic Gardens).

Full list, with *lifers

House crowSIN airport
Javan Myna*SIN airport
Common MynaSIN airport
Feral pigeonChangi Village
Red-breasted parakeet*Changi Village
Pink-necked Green Pigeon*Changi Village
Pacific swallow*Changi Village
White-bellied Sea-eagle*Changi Village
Brahminy kite*Changi Village
Black-winged kite*Changi Point
Oriental Pied Hornbill*Changi Point
Common sandpiperChangi Point
Zebra dove*Queenstown
Black-naped orioleQueenstown
Common Tailorbird*Queenstown
Tree sparrowone-north Park
Yellow-vented bulbul*one-north Park
Asian glossy starling*Queenstown
Red junglefowlQueenstown
Spotted doveQueenstown
Striated heronQueenstown
White-throated KingfisherQueenstown
Common FlamebackQueenstown
Olive-backed sunbird*Queenstown
Blue-throated bee-eater*Dover Forest West
Yellow-rumped flycatcher*Dover Forest West
Malaysian Pied Fantail*Dover Forest West
Rufous woodpecker*Dover Forest West
Pied Imperial Pigeon*Dover Forest West
Collared Kingfisher*one-north Park
Common Iora*one-north Park
White-breasted Waterhen*one-north Park
White-crested Laughingthrush*one-north Park
White-headed Munia*Queenstown
Asian KoelQueenstown
Arctic WarblerBukit Timah NR
Olive-winged Bulbul*Bukit Timah NR
Yellow Bittern*Singapore Botanic Gardens
Long-tailed NightjarSingapore Botanic Gardens
Crimson SunbirdSingapore Botanic Gardens
Common KingfisherSingapore Botanic Gardens
Lesser Whistling Duck*Singapore Botanic Gardens
Blue-crowned Hanging Parrot*Singapore Botanic Gardens
Dark-necked Tailorbird*Singapore Botanic Gardens
Grey heronPulau Ubin, Singapore
Purple heronPulau Ubin, Singapore
Brown-throated sunbird*Pulau Ubin, Singapore
Pin-striped Tit-babbler*Pulau Ubin, Singapore
Greater Racket-tailed Drongo*Pulau Ubin, Singapore
Oriental Magpie-RobinPulau Ubin, Singapore

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back