• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South African pelagics (1 Viewer)

Isurus

Not too up on pelagics, can anyone put names on these characters who were busy eating our chum off cape point? I think the albatross is a shy (I know we saw yellow-nosed, shy and black-browed) but don't recognise the little black chap behind him.

Attachments

• shearwaer.jpg
    shearwaer.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 306
Thanks. Meant to upload two pictures.

Attachments

• chumthieves.jpg
    chumthieves.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Motmot said:
Aren´t upperwings too plain brown for the petrel? I guess it is Great Shearwater
(Puffinus gravis).

I had originally thought Shearwater but then convinced myself looking at the petrel pics in the database. Now I'm utterly confused! Attached is a pic of (I believe) the same bird next to an albatross for scale if that helps.

Attachments

• alby.jpg
    alby.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 264
Isurus said:
I had originally thought Shearwater but then convinced myself looking at the petrel pics in the database. Now I'm utterly confused! Attached is a pic of (I believe) the same bird next to an albatross for scale if that helps.

Yep, shearwater it is

Pelagic photos

The first photo, a Great Shearwater - actually a good photo, showing well the dark marks on the underwing coverts.

The second photo - at rear a White-chinned Petrel, this bird even showing the white chin which can be difficult to see on most. At front a Yellow-nosed Albatross of the form carteri (called Indian Yellow-nosed Albatross) - this bird is at least 2-3 years old as the culmen is brownish and the tip very dark - the bright yellow with orange tip still has yet to develop. It lacks the grey head and neck of the Atlantic form chlororhynchos

The third picture, same species, I assume same bird, now the upper mandible showing some colour on this view, maybe due to different light. The shearwaters are Great Shearwaters again.

Cheers

Hi there,

I have done a few hundred pelagic trips out of Cape Town over the years and have looked at thousands of Yellow-nosed Albatrosses of all ages and both forms and have never seen a immature Yellow-nosed Albatross with a brown culmen like this.

In my opinion, this bird is definitely a juvenile Black-browed Albatross in which this bill colouration is fairly typical.

Kind Regards
Trevor

Hi Trevor

I accept that this bird is indeed a Black-browed Albatross.

For information, I went for Yellow-nosed Albatross (spp. bassi=carteri) on the following:

(a) the very white head….whereas most B-B juveniles (with a bill anything like this one) show at least some grey shading to head or neck. Usually second-year birds (then whiter-headed) show changes to the bill and begin showing typically a much yellowier bill (still dark-tipped)

(b) the bill is interesting and I don’t think is, as you say, ‘fairly typical’. I have seen brown, grey and yellow bills (with dark unguis) on young B-B Albatross. Also this bird seems to have black at both the tip and base

(c) there appeared to be yellow along the culmen on the second photo

(D) Yellow-nosed Albatross juveniles’ bills start off black, then in the second/third year the culmen becomes a creamy-brown (and may be very subdued)

(e) in the upper photo there appears to be yellow at the base of the ramicorn (which would of course rule out B-B). I have tried to enlarge this without success

However, after saying this, there are two more features on this second look at the photos! Firstly the lightness shown on the bill is actually reaching lower than the nostrils, and secondly where the lower mandible joins the head there is an angle. Both these would be wrong for Yellow-nosed Albatross (as only the culminicorn is lighter and the join is straight on that species)

Pterodroma said:
(e) in the upper photo there appears to be yellow at the base of the ramicorn (which would of course rule out B-B). I have tried to enlarge this without success

Links to all 4 pics of this bird. These are tight crops on the bird but as big as they came out of the camera (so no reduction for bf upload). Hope this helps.

http://static.flickr.com/38/102786628_c9c8919c4b_o.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/27/102786627_324425fe0a_o.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/29/102786626_872221bc97_o.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/43/102786625_bf1e114098_o.jpg

Albatross

Thanks Isurus for these further pictures.

There are features of your bird that still concern me for Black-browed.

The first photo seems to show what is called the fleshy bar – this is the skin at the proximal base of the lower mandible. It may be a trick of the light but if there then the bird would have to be a Yellow-nosed.

Photos two and four clearly appear to show a developing bright culmen, again in favour of Yellow-nosed. Is this another trick of the light?

Photo three is a new picture. I have put some photos of Black-browed and Yellow-nosed alongside this one to show another point I was making. The top seven pics are Black-browed showing the variation in bill colour from a first year (top left) to an adult (bottom right of group) All those with dark-tipped bills are young ones - the first two show the duskiness around the head/neck I referred to in my earlier posting.

Your picture is placed on the bottom left and the four lower photos alongside are Yellow-nosed (although I could only find one immature - top left in group). The feature that also concerns me here is the join of the lower mandible (ramicorn) at the feathering. You will see that this is straight on your photo, say 90 degrees (or certainly appears straight), like Yellow-nosed, whereas Black-browed has a distinct angle of about 45 degrees.

Attachments

• AlbatrossSelection (Small).JPG
    AlbatrossSelection (Small).JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 162
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back