• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

8170 Ngorongoro (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Rosy-breasted Longclaw. If you can't find that in your book, then you definitely need Specsavers!

The Masaï Mara subspecies M. a. wintoni shows different colours than nominative ssp further south, and it can be confusing if you have experience of those, or using a book depicting them and not wintoni. Although I had seen dozens of R.t. L. in South Africa, Malawi, Zambia and Tanzania, first time I saw one in Masaï Mara I didn't identify immediately, and needed a few seconds to realize what was happening ;) .

MacNara

Japan
Sorry: 'you need Specsavers' is an English joke from an TV ad for a cheap spectacles company, and probably neither MikeMik nor Valéry would get it. I shouldn't have included it; I was just trying to be humourous. But I think this bird in all or any ssp is unmistakeable.

Last edited:

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Sorry: 'you need Specsavers' is an English joke from an TV ad for a cheap spectacles comany, and probably neither MikeMik nor Valéry would get it. I shouldn't have included it; I was just trying to be humourous. But I think this bird in all or any ssp is unmistakeable.

Ok, yes, I was not sure of your meaning.

It is unmistakable I agree, but when you see a strikingly different sub-species, it is always a surprised and a confirmation is relieving, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread