• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30 Eii Equivalent Replacement (1 Viewer)

My 7 year old 8x30 Eii's developed a collimation problem six months ago so I returned them to Nikon UK under the 10 year warranty...
So, apart from another Eii, what in your opinion would be an suitable equivalent?
So how did you get on with this? I hope you received a new EII, and find the latest coatings an improvement.

Lately Nikon have been offering HGs to owners of SEs they can't repair, but I really think EIIs should be an option instead.

So how did you get on with this? I hope you received a new EII, and find the latest coatings an improvement.

Lately Nikon have been offering HGs to owners of SEs they can't repair, but I really think EIIs should be an option instead.
To complete the story, I recently received a new 8x42 EDG from Nikon UK as a replacement for the EII 8x30 that they had problems with repairing.

I was originally offered the MHG but at the time these were out of stock and the EDG came back into stock before the MHG so i was offered these instead.

The EDG have a 301xxx serial - later than the 300xxx that I've seen in the past.

Last edited:
To complete the story, I recently received a new 8x42 EDG from Nikon UK as a replacement for the EII 8x30 that they had problems with repairing.

I was originally offered the MHG but at the time these were out of stock and the EDG came back into stock before the MHG so i was offered these instead.

The EDG have a 301xxx serial - later than the 300xxx that I've seen in the past.
Good deal!

Wow!! So they gave you $2100 binoculars to replace $500 binoculars. After I drop my EII’s on the backyard porch cement , where do I sign up for that 🤣🤪

Paul

Good deal!
Yes, could have been worse! I also have 8x32 HGL and 10x42 SE but the EDG are really very good.
Wow!! So they gave you $2100 binoculars to replace $500 binoculars. After I drop my EII’s on the backyard porch cement , where do I sign up for that 🤣🤪

Paul
Yes, it was a long drawn out affair that lasted almost a year! Nikon UK sent them to a repair centre in Latvia and after two months they said spare part had finally arrived from Japan but turned out to be wrong part. Another few months lapsed and then the correct part arrived but was faulty (no idea what this part was). Eventually I was asked if I wanted a replacement. No EIIs in stock so they offered MHG. After being told these were also out of stock I said how about an EDG? So after another couple of months I was expecting MHG to be delivered but opened the box and there was the new EDG :) .

I really can't fault Nikon UK customer service. In the few times I've used them they've always been first class.

If there is only a collimation problem, I am sure there are suitable repair facilities in the UK who could provide collimation service. That is to say if you want to keep them, otherwise ask Nikon for an HG, but they could likely give you an M7 as a replacement.

Nikon in the EU is different to Nikon in the USA, and I believe the former is better.
I am sorry about the late reply, the repair facilities in the UK are horrible, I tried to get a pair of Hartmans repaired and there are only two places that will repair bins here in the whole of the UK, and one will not do older binoculars because of the scarcity of parts, I hope somebody here from Britain knows of any more as I have a pair of Enbeeko 9x45's that need a looking at, sorry about the pun.
Have a great day everybody.

"there are only two places that will repair bins here in the whole of the UK"

And soon there will be none, I only know of about four reputable facilities who will service older glass here in the US, and they are well in their 60s so here in the US, there will soon be none.

Last edited:
I was just going to say - there's only 4 of them in the whole USA. Not counting the OEM's. Two in the UK isn't bad! International shipping on a 2-pound bino isn't bad, you could try some of the guys here if you want.

There may be some repairers in The Netherlands, Germany and France.

Opticron, Canon and maybe Nikon repair binoculars in the U.K.

Telescope House had a repairer.

Action optics might help?

Regards,
B.

So after another couple of months I was expecting MHG to be delivered but opened the box and there was the new EDG :) .

That really proves the saying "there's no harm in trying it on"! Shame on Nikon for messing you around for that long though. I wonder if other EIIs will suddenly develop collimation issues?

I think the closest equivalent to the 8x30 EII from Nikon's range is (as already mentioned by others) the Monarch HG 8x30 - light, handy, wide field of view (a little narrower than the EII admittedly, but 8.3 degrees is plenty). The 8x42 EDG is excellent but somewhat larger and heavier. I wouldn't be complaining though!

Binocular repair is a dying art in the UK, as it is, I suppose, elsewhere but the two gents who have worked on my binoculars (Gary Hawkins and Richard Biggs - both contribute to Birdforum every now and then) have done very good work. If you have binoculars with issues it might be best to have them dealt with now rather than later. There used to be lots of farriers once...

"there are only two places that will repair bins here in the whole of the UK"

And soon there will be none, I only know of about four reputable facilities who will service older glass here in the US, and they are well in their 60s so here in the US, there will soon be none.
There are still some repair places here in the US, and there will be for years to come. Cory has a son in the business
and they are as busy as ever. Swarovski and Zeiss will maintain a level of repair here also. Some of them go back
to Europe.
Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back