• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 EL or the new 8.5x42 “Legend” (1 Viewer)

I think the 8x32s is a good choice although I have the 8.5x42s and am happy with them.

I did compared a used 8x32 EL SV (non-FP) with a new FP model in a store and while people say the optics are the same there was a dramatic difference in glare with the non-FP having significantly more.

On the strength of the used SV I'd agree with those on this thread criticising the glare control. However the new FP model handled it much better and so on the strength of that I'd be agreeing with those that says it's not an issue.

So the different views on here may all be true for their particular pair of binoculars and the only way to tell with yours is to check them. So my point is don't be put off by those that have had problems, just check your bins thoroughly when you get them (or in the store) and if you like them don't look back.

Maybe I'm just missing
a pun, but what do you mean by milk? Literal or metaphoric?

Probably a mix of both. The SV glares. It's sharp and distinct, and fairly easy to avoid. Most binos, including the 8x32 FL, tend to whiteout, turn to milk. In my experience, that might be harder to avoid.

Let's face it: you stick a bunch of glass between you and the world and stuff happens.

Mark

We have the 8x32, 10x32, and 8.5x42 EL FP models. We live in a high altitude arid climate with lots of sun and have worn glasses and sun glasses a lot when using them.

All models have fantastic eye relief that work well with both glasses and sun glasses. But...

The larger exit pupil of the 8.5x42 makes them the more forgiving with eye placement, and this makes them more comfortable for us to use all day.

Keep in mind that exit pupil size is a mathmatical relationship between the size of the objective lens and the magnification. It is not related to brands.

Wearing glasses and/or sun glasses can make eye placement more finicky with the smaller exit pupil of 8x32 bins, and especially 10x32 bins. The larger exit pupil of the 42mm is a noticeable advantage here. Zero eye fatique or headaches after a full day of use.

The 8x32, 10x32, and 8.5x42 are all great bins.

Last edited:
A milky 'cloud' of non-image forming light masking the view, is what I guess Kammerdiner means.

Lee

Yes, Lee, that's the idea. The glare of the 8x32 SV can be dramatic, but mostly avoidable. The milky cloud, common in many other binos, again in my experience, is sort of just there.

I have what I think is a first gen Zen 7x36 ED 2, or whatever, and it's pretty hard to avoid a "milkout" with that one.

I think the 8x32s is a good choice although I have the 8.5x42s and am happy with them.

I did compared a used 8x32 EL SV (non-FP) with a new FP model in a store and while people say the optics are the same there was a dramatic difference in glare with the non-FP having significantly more.

On the strength of the used SV I'd agree with those on this thread criticising the glare control. However the new FP model handled it much better and so on the strength of that I'd be agreeing with those that says it's not an issue.

So the different views on here may all be true for their particular pair of binoculars and the only way to tell with yours is to check them. So my point is don't be put off by those that have had problems, just check your bins thoroughly when you get them (or in the store) and if you like them don't look back.
"I compared a used 8x32 EL SV (non-FP) with a new FP model in a store and while people say the optics are the same there was a dramatic difference in glare with the non-FP having significantly more." I thought the SV FP 8x32 was better for glare but in the thread below it was decided Swarovski made no changes in the FP optically to improve veiling glare. I just had a brand new FP SV 8x32 and the glare was the same as the older one IMO. There is no way under certain situations where you can avoid it. You shouldn't HAVE to do things to avoid it. I had an old Leica Trinovid BA and it handled glare better than the SV. Henry showed it to be true and it is there. Swarovski hasn't changed anything.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=366970&highlight=swarovski+glare

Last edited:
In my experience you cannot tell if glare will be a problem for you with any particular...until you try it yourself. It is not the best practice to cancel pre-orders because somebody says there is glare. There can certainly be design issues that contribute to it, there is no getting around that. If you have had past issues with various ergonomic aspects of the fit between your face, hands, and binoculars, or in particular glare, you might have something to be concerned over. Because there seems to be concern over glare in Swarovski binoculars expressed by some, does not mean you will see it. The only thing that matters is how it will or will not affect your typical, normal, everyday use. For that, you are the only one who can make that decision.

I had several Swarovski binoculars for awhile, and glare was not really an issue. There was sometimes a little in normal use, but like Mark I could live with what I saw. Glare could be easily induced in those I had. I am pretty disappointed that something that expensive was poorly blackened and baffled, but the static view was fine.

I agree with you to a certain point but there have been so MANY people commenting on the glare in the SV 8x32 it seems to be a common problem and then there was Henry's explanation of the glare on top of it. It doesn't mean everybody will experience glare of course. But 3 people have commented on glare in the NL so for me it enough of an indication just to wait and try the binoculars before buying them.

In case you want to keep your 8x25, I would definitely recommend the 8.5x42, as the 8x32 is (in my opinion) too similar to your existing equipment. Moreover, the 8x32 is relatively large for its class, so that the size difference compared to the 8.5x42 is not that big.

In case you want to sell the 8x25, a 8x32 might be the right glass for you. However, as compactness seems to be important to you, I would also consider the Leica Ultravid 8x32 or the Zeiss FL 8x32, both are much more compact than the Swarovski EL 8x32 and the upcoming Zeiss SF 8x32.

To be honest I am not sure if I want to sell it. A friend of mine also recommended the SLC 8x42 before it is out of stock everywhere. Still have some homework to do ��

Btw I visited a place today where you can view wild boars and deers from a distance. It was dark in the forest bit the open spot was bright. I had a some kind of white wash when I viewed at some boars. It was still sharp but lost some contrast. I do wear glasses, I don’t know if that creates more glare

Last edited:
You're set on Swaro, not on a budget? if no and yes, and on the heavier SLC road, Meopta Meostars would be a recommendation as well (know some affordable demo's). Surely a EL SV would be a step quality beyond that, the SLC not (that much).

Quick revision of my previous post. I just checked the 8x32 SV, Zen 7x36 ED2, and Sightron 8x32 Bluesky?? I sort of forget what it's called.

Anyway, this must be a revised version of the 7x36 Zen because it handles glare/flare about as good as the SV. The Sightron is a step down no matter how you handle it.

I'll look around for the 8x32 FL and do a more involved comparison. I honestly don't know where it is. 8-P

I have to say,even though I'm not a fan of 7x, this Zen is impressive and bright! Zen nailed centerfield sharpness.

Back to regularly scheduled programming.

You're set on Swaro, not on a budget? if no and yes, and on the heavier SLC road, Meopta Meostars would be a recommendation as well (know some affordable demo's). Surely a EL SV would be a step quality beyond that, the SLC not (that much).

Not a fanboy but I am set on Swaro. Like the build quality and the designs. Don’t think the SLC is it for me. Like the design and weight distribution of the EL’s more

Not a fanboy but I am set on Swaro. Like the build quality and the designs. Don’t think the SLC is it for me. Like the design and weight distribution of the EL’s more

Tom, the SLC 8X42 is definitely worth looking at.
I've had one, but traded it in on a el8x32sv.
Still regret the day that I did that.
The SLC's have given me so much pleasure, and although not really light, they are very compact.
The contrast and resolution are very good, and if my memory serves me well, the view in general is comparable with the EL, except for the flat field of the latter one.
About 80% of the image is sharp, that's plenty for me.

The white wash you are talking about sounds like the annoying glare that spoiled the el32's view for me. It occurred a bit too often to my liking.

The SLC is on discount as well in the NL, I definitely recommend to take a look at them, as they might surprise you. It's not the prettiest to look at, but the image certainly is;)

Good luck with your choice :)

Tom, the SLC 8X42 is definitely worth looking at.
I've had one, but traded it in on a el8x32sv.
Still regret the day that I did that.
I actually did the same thing and came to the same opinion. I was having some shoulder issues and thought reducing size/weight to the EL would be a benefit... and it was, right up until the binoculars rendered themselves useless in certain lighting conditions. The 8.5x42 SV FP I now own is amazing optically but I'm not sure Id have upgraded from the SLC HD if I still owned it.

Justin

I know a guy that has about 40+ binoculars including the SLC 8x42, SV 8x32, and SV 8.5X42....HIS current choice to go birding is the SV 8X32 all day and twice on Sunday regardless of which way the wind is blowing, barometric pressure, dew point, angle of the sun, overcast/sunny, etc, etc, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 124
I know a guy that has about 40+ binoculars including the SLC 8x42, SV 8x32, and SV 8.5X42....HIS current choice to go birding is the SV 8X32 all day and twice on Sunday regardless of which way the wind is blowing, barometric pressure, dew point, angle of the sun, overcast/sunny, etc, etc, etc.
Chuck,
It's understandable, as it's a great binocular. But if the glare is bothersome it can be REALLY bothersome.
I don't currently own 40 binoculars but I've owned most of the alphas as well as many of the $300-$1000 options at different points in time, and the 8x32 SV is the only binoculars that I strictly was unable to use at certain points in time due to glare. I have seen glare with many binoculars but never to the point that it literally (and I do not speak in any way with hyperbole) made then unusable. As someone who (for at least a portion of the time) is paid to use binoculars and gather data, this was a deal killer.

It's great that they work for you and many others, but I just caution that one should try the binoculars for themselves before buying, in the field and under different lighting conditions is possible. Similarly to the SV/SF series as a whole due to the "rolling ball" phenomena which used to effect me but either due to a change in design of the newer SV models or just accommodation of my eyes, is not something I can pick up at all.

Justin

Chuck,
It's understandable, as it's a great binocular. But if the glare is bothersome it can be REALLY bothersome.
I don't currently own 40 binoculars but I've owned most of the alphas as well as many of the $300-$1000 options at different points in time, and the 8x32 SV is the only binoculars that I strictly was unable to use at certain points in time due to glare. I have seen glare with many binoculars but never to the point that it literally (and I do not speak in any way with hyperbole) made then unusable. As someone who (for at least a portion of the time) is paid to use binoculars and gather data, this was a deal killer.

It's great that they work for you and many others, but I just caution that one should try the binoculars for themselves before buying, in the field and under different lighting conditions is possible. Similarly to the SV/SF series as a whole due to the "rolling ball" phenomena which used to effect me but either due to a change in design of the newer SV models or just accommodation of my eyes, is not something I can pick up at all.

Justin

I tried two pairs of the 8x32s at the same time, so same light conditions. One was a used SV and the other a new Field Pro. The used model had significant glare issues, the FP model didn't. They're supposed to have the same optics. I just wonder with different people's accounts if some units just have more glare than others.

I tried two pairs of the 8x32s at the same time, so same light conditions. One was a used SV and the other a new Field Pro. The used model had significant glare issues, the FP model didn't. They're supposed to have the same optics. I just wonder with different people's accounts if some units just have more glare than others.
I have had several SV 8x32 models including the FP, and they were all the same in that they showed considerable glare in many situations to the point of being unusable as Justin says above. The only binocular I have seen glare this bad in was the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W and it is the same in that in certain bright conditions veiling glare will totally cover the FOV making them unusable. I have had probably 150 different binoculars and these were the two worst as far as glare. The SV 8x32 is probably the best 8x32 made but the glare problems can render them useless. I recently picked up a NIB Leica Trinovid BA 7x42 that by the way is beautiful in its build quality and rare that it is NEW condition. It controls glare beautifully, has amazing DOF and rich colors and being 7x is very easy to hold steady. I recently picked up a Kowa Genesis 8x33 from Cameraland on the recent $800.00 sale because I know these control glare and have better CA control then the little SV 8x32 with a similar 8 degree FOV. With the Swarovski NL 8x42 coming that will be the only binoculars I have.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back