• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 EL or the new 8.5x42 “Legend” (1 Viewer)

Dennis,

A step in the right direction with the Leica BA, IMO the Kowa not so much. If you really want to get the glare issue under control, lift some weights and get a FL 8X56 or a 10X56. Perhaps you could give another go with the SLC 8X56 that you used to own.

Andy W.

Dennis,

A step in the right direction with the Leica BA, IMO the Kowa not so much. If you really want to get the glare issue under control, lift some weights and get a FL 8X56 or a 10X56. Perhaps you could give another go with the SLC 8X56 that you used to own.

Andy W.
It is really unusual to find a brand new Leica Trinovid BA 7x42 in a box. That binocular must be 15 to 20 years old but it looks like brand new. I have had many Leica Trinovids including the 8x32,7x42, 8x42 and 10 x42 and I liked the 7x42 the best. I think the Leica Trinovids are one of the best built binoculars around with that Made in Germany right on the eye cup. I know what you mean about big aperture controlling glare. I had the FL 8x56 and the SLC 8x56 and you could look almost directly at the sun with absolutely NO glare. I think because of the big exit pupil the glare never reaches your eyes. Those 8x56 give a very clean aberration free view also. Kind of a relaxed view. It is hard to describe. The Kowa Genesis 8x33 is not as good as an 8x56 at controlling glare but it is better than the SV 8x32. Smaller apertures in general have more glare in my experience unless they are really well blackened inside like the Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD. There is NO reason a smaller aperture binocular has to have more glare than a bigger one.

From Allbinos. "Perfect. An example to be followed. Perfectly black background around the pupils."

Attachments

• mini_724_leica_ol.jpg
    mini_724_leica_ol.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 670
  • mini_725_leica_op.jpg
    mini_725_leica_op.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
I`v owned 2 8x32SV`s and had the same experience as Justin, totally obscured view under certain conditions, when it caused me to miss out on my first Yellow browed warbler I knew I would never buy another.

Made up my mind! Ordered the old type 8.5x42 today for the discounted price of the new ‘Legend’. It’s coming in tomorrow. They have a good return policy so I have plenty of time to check it out a bit.

Made up my mind! Ordered the old type 8.5x42 today for the discounted price of the new ‘Legend’. It’s coming in tomorrow. They have a good return policy so I have plenty of time to check it out a bit.

If you've had a chance to try it out, what do you think? :)

If you've had a chance to try it out, what do you think? :)

The one I received first was sent back, it had a lot of dust particles under the glass. Today I went to House of Optics in Maarssen to look for another 8.5. As they also had a SLC in stock, I also tried that one. Although the SLC was really nice and the view was crystal clear I did chose the 8.5x42 again. Reason is simple: I wear glasses and I couldn’t see sharp (at infinity) without my glasses with the SLC as the diopter only goes to -4 (I have -4,75). With the EL that goes to -5, it worked like a charm.

Though I'll be the first to admit that looking through bino's without glasses is better than with.... I simply can't stand having to put my glasses on and off and on and off again and again while birding. I wonder how you manage do so in the field...

By the way still a very nice choice

Though I'll be the first to admit that looking through bino's without glasses is better than with.... I simply can't stand having to put my glasses on and off and on and off again and again while birding. I wonder how you manage do so in the field...

By the way still a very nice choice

90% of the time I keep my glasses one. On rare occassions I put them on top of my head. Pretty fixed and won’t fall off.

90% of the time I keep my glasses one. On rare occassions I put them on top of my head. Pretty fixed and won’t fall off.
So for those 10% you change the diopter correction each time? I'm still really confused on how you prefer meddling with the settings so often...
(in case you're wondering, I wasn't too concerned where you leave the glasses)

But like I said, as long as it's works for you, it's all good. Though we have 3 pairs of bins between 2 of us, usually we swap inbetween, we both wear glasses, so for us the bins stay on 0 correction.

So for those 10% you change the diopter correction each time? I'm still really confused on how you prefer meddling with the settings so often...
(in case you're wondering, I wasn't too concerned where you leave the glasses)

But like I said, as long as it's works for you, it's all good. Though we have 3 pairs of bins between 2 of us, usually we swap inbetween, we both wear glasses, so for us the bins stay on 0 correction.

My eyes are the same left and right so don’t need to change the diopter 😉

Ah lucky, we both have a difference between left and right. (most people I know with glasses do) But yeah then it works out good.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back