• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 EL VS 10x32 EL ‘Which handles glare better?’ (1 Viewer)

b_reynolds_ak

So I’ve gone through the range of EL’s recently and then the new Zeiss 32 SF’s. The 10x32 EL’s has far too much veiling glare, even compared to my older 8x32 EL Swarobrights. The SF’s didn’t suit me as far as eye cups etc.
The only current EL I haven’t given a fair chance to is the current 8x32 EL’s.
I know I’ll have glare with them to deal with, but it might be tolerable if it fares better than the 10x32’s due to having a larger exit pupil.
Anyone have thoughts and experience with BOTH current 32 EL’s in this regard?
I currently have a new 8.5x42 which is amazing, but still a bit too heavy and big for my ideal uses. I love the view though!

Last edited:
10X32>8X32

Although glare can be an issue with some binoculars including the 32mm ELs the VAST majority myself included have no issue with it whatsoever with the 8X32. If I had an issue with it there certainly would be no need for me to carry the SV 8X32 as my primary binocular.

I probably see more EL 8X32s out birding that any other Swarovski. I wonder how many use this binocular with no glare issues? I bet you'd be surprised just how many there are.

In my experience glare in the Swarovski EL line is directly proportional to the size of the exit pupil. So ranked from the worst with glare to the best they are 10x32, 8x32, 12x50, 10x42, 8.5x42 and the best is the 10x50. The SLC line is much better handling glare than the EL but still the smaller exit pupils don't handle glare as well with the 10x42 being the worst, 8x42 a little better and the 10x56 much better with the 8x56 being the best at handling glare.

Last edited:
Chuck do you think your newly acquired Zeiss SF 8x32 will become your primary birding binocular.

How does the Zeiss SF 8x32 compare with NL 8x42? Is the NL that much better during daylight viewing

10X32>8X32

Although glare can be an issue with some binoculars including the 32mm ELs the VAST majority myself included have no issue with it whatsoever with the 8X32. If I had an issue with it there certainly would be no need for me to carry the SV 8X32 as my primary binocular.

I probably see more EL 8X32s out birding that any other Swarovski. I wonder how many use this binocular with no glare issues? I bet you'd be surprised just how many there are.

Last edited:
Hi Chuck, thanks for the feedback. That’s certainly good to know. I made a modification to the Zeiss 32 SF eye cups with an O Ring and it looks like I may be able to use them after all and not have to go back the the EL’s. I really would prefer 10x for my uses and the SF looks to be better than the Swaro version of the same so far.
Dennis, your evaluation based on size of exit pupil makes perfect sense and is what I suspected. I’m looking forward to seeing how the SF fares in various lighting conditions over the next few days.

Hi Chuck, thanks for the feedback. That’s certainly good to know. I made a modification to the Zeiss 32 SF eye cups with an O Ring and it looks like I may be able to use them after all and not have to go back the the EL’s. I really would prefer 10x for my uses and the SF looks to be better than the Swaro version of the same so far.
Dennis, your evaluation based on size of exit pupil makes perfect sense and is what I suspected. I’m looking forward to seeing how the SF fares in various lighting conditions over the next few days.
I am very interested to see how the SF handles the glare.

I own 8x32 & 10x32 SV & 10x42 SV, 10X32 is worst than other two. Glare control 10x42 >>8x32 >10x32, but 10x32 has very large FOV ~120m, sharp to the edge with relatively small size compared to 10x42. It is worth to own before NL launch.

Last edited:
I own 8x32 & 10x32 SV & 10x42 SV, 10X32 is worst than other two. Glare control 10x42 >>8x32 >10x32, but 10x32 has very large FOV ~120m, sharp to the edge with relatively small size compared to 10x42. It is worth to own before NL launch.

Yes I did own the 10x32 for about 5 days and returned it due to the glare. After trying the 10x32 SF, the Zeiss is just not for me. I am sticking with Swarovski despite their faults. I just feel they give a more comfortable viewing experience. The 8x32 EL is back on the list, which is a long way of getting back to the start.. as I was looking for a replacement for my great 8x32 EL Swarobright's.

Chuck do you think your newly acquired Zeiss SF 8x32 will become your primary birding binocular.

How does the Zeiss SF 8x32 compare with NL 8x42? Is the NL that much better during daylight viewing

We will see! That's the goal, to beat the SV 8X32.

I don't have a NL model at this point so I really can't comment on that.

Alright I just ordered a new 8x32 EL and sent back the Zeiss 10x32 SF. I’ll deal with any glare in order to have the binos that suit me best and give the absolute best view.

Well I received a pair of 2020 8x32 EL’s today. You would think by now that they would be refined. The focus wheel is horrible. Rough, with a distinctly firmer turn to the right while turning to the left is rough and too light. The left barrel has a hair on an inside element as well as some cleaning marks that I could see when looking into them in sunlight. Pretty frustrating to say the least.

Well I received a pair of 2020 8x32 EL’s today. You would think by now that they would be refined. The focus wheel is horrible. Rough, with a distinctly firmer turn to the right while turning to the left is rough and too light. The left barrel has a hair on an inside element as well as some cleaning marks that I could see when looking into them in sunlight. Pretty frustrating to say the least.

Sorry to hear, unfortunately I can sympathize. I recently returned my new SLC's due to a gritty focus wheel, a squeaky hinge, and silver shavings stuck to the inside of one tube. I had waited years to get Swaro's and the experience was a disappointment.
Everyone says 'that's just how the Swaro focus wheels are', 'they don't use grease for cold weather use'...well, all I can say is I've used a bunch of made in Japan bino's with butter smooth focus wheels that perform flawlessly in sub zero weather.
For that money, you shouldn't have to dig through a stack of them to find a good one.

For sure the focus adjustment is "different." Yep it does require more effort in one direction than than the other. Though it varies somewhat from model to model, every single Swarovski SLC/EL I have is that way. Some the difference is less noticeable than others. Focus "slack" is always zero and to be honest in actual use I don't really notice it. ESPECIALLY on the 8X32.

The hair is another issue. Of course it shouldn't be there. I wouldn't want it there especially in a brand new $2000 binocular. Here's what I'd do. USE it today and tomorrow and much as possible and see if the focus is as bad as you first thought. IF you can't deal with the focus adjustment send it back for a refund. IF the focus isn't as bad as you thought it was, send it back for replacement. How does that sound?

I have a pair of 8x32 Nikon HGs which, even though 17 years old, have a focus wheel which is still as smooth as silk! But they are heavy and so...

I bought an 8x32 EL a couple of months ago and, going by the serial number, they were manufactured in June 2020. The focus wheel is reasonably smooth (but nothing like the Nikons!) and I don't notice any directional difference. I will admit, when they arrived, I shone a LED torch through them, just to check for 'bits' and they are clear. So it sounds like you have been unlucky!

One further comment - they do suffer from veiling glare but it is avoidable by careful eye positioning.

For sure the focus adjustment is "different." Yep it does require more effort in one direction than than the other. Though it varies somewhat from model to model, every single Swarovski SLC/EL I have is that way. Some the difference is less noticeable than others. Focus "slack" is always zero and to be honest in actual use I don't really notice it. ESPECIALLY on the 8X32.

The hair is another issue. Of course it shouldn't be there. I wouldn't want it there especially in a brand new $2000 binocular. Here's what I'd do. USE it today and tomorrow and much as possible and see if the focus is as bad as you first thought. IF you can't deal with the focus adjustment send it back for a refund. IF the focus isn't as bad as you thought it was, send it back for replacement. How does that sound?

Yes all good thoughts. This is the 6th new Swaro I’ve handled this summer and the worse quality control yet. I’m beginning to think that I should start my own thread with Dennis so that we can be bino butterflies together and not annoy everyone else haha
I don’t think the hair and cleaning marks would have too much effect, if any, on the viewing experience, but once you know it’s there it’s hard to forget about.

So I'm curious...

What was your final verdict with the SV 8X32?

Well.. I was still curious about the 8x32 SF, as I had only tried out the 10, which i didn’t find as good as I hoped as far as ease of use etc. I managed to find a retailer in the States that had one in stock. I sent them an email and got them to discount it by $350! It just arrived and I’ve been comparing the EL’s. The 8’s are definitely better than the 10’s for me. I really like them a lot. Now that I have an apples to apples comparison, the SF’s have a noticeably bigger fov. The focused is so much nicer than the swaro’s. I’m returning the EL’s and going to go with the 8x32 SF’s!

Well.. I was still curious about the 8x32 SF, as I had only tried out the 10, which i didn’t find as good as I hoped as far as ease of use etc. I managed to find a retailer in the States that had one in stock. I sent them an email and got them to discount it by $350! It just arrived and I’ve been comparing the EL’s. The 8’s are definitely better than the 10’s for me. I really like them a lot. Now that I have an apples to apples comparison, the SF’s have a noticeably bigger fov. The focused is so much nicer than the swaro’s. I’m returning the EL’s and going to go with the 8x32 SF’s!
My experience with the 8x32 SF has been excellent. No, they don't perform as effortlessly as 42s do, but as long as you're not comparing them to 42s, they're really quite enjoyable to use. Very sharp, wide, fairly flat field, plenty sharp enough out to the edges. Color quality is not Leica, but it's neutral enough and pleasing. Focus wheel is STELLAR!

Once you get the IP and eyecups well-set for your face, and hold them suitably to the eye sockets... they're quite sweet.

I'm also going to give the 10x32 SFs a go. Hopefully, I may enjoy them more than you did yours. If not... there are alternative 10x32s to try.

My experience with the 8x32 SF has been excellent. No, they don't perform as effortlessly as 42s do, but as long as you're not comparing them to 42s, they're really quite enjoyable to use. Very sharp, wide, fairly flat field, plenty sharp enough out to the edges. Color quality is not Leica, but it's neutral enough and pleasing. Focus wheel is STELLAR!

Once you get the IP and eyecups well-set for your face, and hold them suitably to the eye sockets... they're quite sweet.

I'm also going to give the 10x32 SFs a go. Hopefully, I may enjoy them more than you did yours. If not... there are alternative 10x32s to try.
Am currently on the Western Isles of Scotland and using SF 8x32 and 10x32 almost exclusively and I just love them. No problems with eye placement and they handle beautifully and as ZD mentions the focus action is just superb.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back