• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 EL with fast focus? (1 Viewer)

Omid

United States
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if 8x32 EL's are going to get fast focus as well. I handled a pair of these long ago and I cannot remember how the focus was. Is the focus on 8x32 EL's already fast or is it more like standard 8.5x42 ELs?

Thanks

2Old2Care said:
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if 8x32 EL's are going to get fast focus as well. I handled a pair of these long ago and I cannot remember how the focus was. Is the focus on 8x32 EL's already fast or is it more like standard 8.5x42 ELs?

Thanks

They have always had fast focus.

So there is no need to wait for a re-designed focus knob on 8x32 Els. This is good news! I am considering buying a pair of these. Zeiss 8x32 FLs haven't arrived in Canada yet but I don't think I will miss any thing going with the Swarovskis. I already own a 8.5x42 EL and they are fantastic. I hope 8x32s will impress me as much.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

2Old2Care said:
So there is no need to wait for a re-designed focus knob on 8x32 Els. This is good news! I am considering buying a pair of these. Zeiss 8x32 FLs haven't arrived in Canada yet but I don't think I will miss any thing going with the Swarovskis. I already own a 8.5x42 EL and they are fantastic. I hope 8x32s will impress me as much.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

If there is a chance to get a pair of compact binoculars with no lateral colour, I wouldn't purchase anything before trying the small FLs. :t:

Ilkka

iporali said:
If there is a chance to get a pair of compact binoculars with no lateral colour, I wouldn't purchase anything before trying the small FLs. :t:

Ilkka

Ikka,
Are you suggesting Zeiss 8x32 FLs are noticeably superior to Swarovski 8x32 EL? As I said, I haven't seen the new Zeiss series in Canada yet but I am looking forward to cheking them out. By the way, what do you mean by "lateral colour"? Do you mean Chromatic Aberration?

cheers,

2Old2Care said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks

I tried these recently and they were just wonderful...unfortunately my old and worn out Zeiss 10's BT* became very jealous and dragged me away!!

JB.

john barclay said:
I tried these recently and they were just wonderful...unfortunately my old and worn out Zeiss 10's BT* became very jealous and dragged me away!!

JB.

My 10x40s cannot get jealous since I just sold them to a friend! I might have a problem with my Nikon 8x32 HG's though ;)

2Old2Care said:

The latest Swaro ad in Living Bird says, "Both EL series have the new 1-1/2 turn, fast focusing wheels from 7ft to infinity."

2Old2Care said:
Ikka,
Are you suggesting Zeiss 8x32 FLs are noticeably superior to Swarovski 8x32 EL? As I said, I haven't seen the new Zeiss series in Canada yet but I am looking forward to cheking them out. By the way, what do you mean by "lateral colour"? Do you mean Chromatic Aberration?

cheers,

Hi 2O2C,
I haven't tried the FLs either. I based my assumption on Andy Bright's report from the Birdfair last August http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=21761 post #7. He mentioned that chromatic aberration (yes, lateral colour) was not detectable and that brightness was very good - IMHO both of these features could be improved in the small Swaro. I have to say that I wasn't as impressed with the optics of the small ELs as with the larger ones. The handling ergonomics of the x32ELs is OTOH *very* impressive.

I am not saying that the FLs are noticeably superior, but if there is a fair chance, I would wait to try the FLs - especially if you already have those superior x42ELs.

Cheers,

Ilkka

I have a feeling that some birders will be disappointed if they switch from the 42mm ELs to the 32s. I tried the Swav 8x32s at the British Bird Fair this year and thought the brightness was unimpressive, and overall, the much cheaper (at least in UK) Nikon 8x32 HGs knocked the socks off them.

I have the Swav, 10x42ELs, which are first rate.

Sean

2Old2Care said:
My 10x40s cannot get jealous since I just sold them to a friend! I might have a problem with my Nikon 8x32 HG's though ;)

How can you sell yer bins...it's like selling your faithful old Labrador. My Zeiss have seen bombs, famine, floods, deserts, and the occasional nudie beach (The Camargue) I never looked..honest! plus a bird or two.

Coincidentally... Just ordered a pair of Nikons 8x32's today. But my Zeiss will go to my grave with me.

Sentimental I know - so what!

John.

Now you are making me feel bad John! You are right though, fine binos are not items to sell, they are works of art and extensions of our eyes. The problem is I have too many of them (two Leicas -10x25 and 12x50, a pair of 8.5x43 Swarovski ELs, a pair of 8x32 Nikon HGs -which are FANTASTIC by the way- and a couple of others) . Now, to get new ones I sometimes have to let the old ones go :( I had bought the Zeiss pai a few month ago and they were West German made. I sold them to a friend who beacme very impressed with them and now I am looking forward to getting a new pair of bions for Christmass. I am thinking of a pair of green Leica 8x50 BNs (for a good price about US$1000), Swaro 8x32 ELs or Nikon 8x42 HG Lights to add to my collection. What's you idea?

Last edited:
2Old2Care said:
Now you are making me feel bad John! You are right though, fine binos are not items to sell, they are works of art and extensions of our eyes. The problem is I have too many of them (two Leicas -10x25 and 12x50, a pair of 8.5x43 Swarovski ELs, a pair of 8x32 Nikon HGs -which are FANTASTIC by the way- and a couple of others) . Now, to get new ones I sometimes have to let the old ones go :( I had bought the Zeiss pai a few month ago and they were West German made. I sold them to a friend who beacme very impressed with them and now I am looking forward to getting a new pair of bions for Christmass. I am thinking of a pair of green Leica 8x50 BNs (for a good price about US$1000), Swaro 8x32 ELs or Nikon 8x42 HG Lights to add to my collection. What's you idea?

Why do you need any more for goodness sake?

I've heard that the Nikon 'lightweights' are impressive as are the Swaro 8's. When I tried the latter it was in the summer and sunny - they were so nice. Also tried the Ultravids which I thought were super. My friend in Israel has a pair of Leica 8x50 and he dislike them and will swop shortly. They are black though which is nicer than vomit green.

Sadly, the new Zeiss just don't appeal to me.

Sorry I can't help with your choice..it's a very personal thing this binocular buying.

John.

john barclay said:
Why do you need any more for goodness sake? .

-Good question! I am a big fan of fine optics (binos, camera lenses etc.) and can't help wanting the best(s). If I had money, I would have bought EVERYTHING made by Leica.

I've heard that the Nikon 'lightweights' are impressive as are the Swaro 8's. When I tried the latter it was in the summer and sunny - they were so nice. Also tried the Ultravids which I thought were super. My friend in Israel has a pair of Leica 8x50 and he dislike them and will swop shortly. They are black though which is nicer than vomit green. Sadly, the new Zeiss just don't appeal to me. .

-I like the shape/feel of Swarovski ELs alot. I am getting (as you can read in the above posts) mixed messages about their optical quality though. I have to try one for myself side by side with my bigger 8.5X43s to see how good is the opics. I was (am?) after the Leica because the green 8x50BN was a hunting set and its now discontinued (it comes with a hard leather as well as the traditional soft case). I know that they are heavy and not practical in the field but ...

anyways, thanks for all the info.
Cheers!

Last edited:
I'll chime in with my two cents worth. I have the EL 8x32s and their size and handling qualities are great for any active bird watching. In the various stores where I could compare the 8.5x42 and the 8x32, I really could not see a difference (good lighting, short distances and all that). I’ve got a pair of Zeiss 8x20 Victory and Swift 8.5x44 roof that I’ve been able to use for field comparisons. I cannot see a difference in brightness or resolution between the Swaro 8x32s and the larger Swifts (there was of course a huge price difference). The 8x32s are far brighter than the 8x20 Zeiss models as one would expect. The size difference between the mid-sized EL and the full sized 8.5 EL is so great that I’d give up whatever advantages they have in the view for the better handling (to my small hands) and wider field of view that the 8x32 EL’s have. If they are available in your area, I’d definitively take a look through the new Zeiss FL and Leica Ultravid in 8x32 before buying. Hope this helps!

Joe H

Using them for hunting I really need every ounce of light I can get from binos. I bought a pair of 8x32ELs amid a chorus of 'they won't be bright enough' from friends.

The 8x32ELs give up no more than 5 minutes at the end of the day to my Zeiss 7x42BGATs (remember I am talking near pitch black and the ability to identify large shapes at 50m) I have a Spanish friend with a pair of 8x32ELs and 10x42ELs he finds the same - a microscopic difference.

The 8x32ELs are quite simple superb - handling is out of this world, the field of view is class leading, the light gathering all you will need in daytime wherever you are. I did test them side by side with a pair of 8x42 Ultravids which seemed the tiniest bit sharper, however the FOV was noticeably narrower on the ultravids and the ergonomics for me nowhere near so good on the ultravids.

Thank you very much (both Joe H and 1894) for your comments. I am a hunter myself too so low-light situations are important. However, as 1894 mentioned, I have come to notice that a top-quality 8x32 is all I would need. I once compared my Niokn Hg 8x32s side by side with my Swarovski 8.5x43s and a pair of Swarovski 8x56 SLCs. The SLCs were superb glasses but the light-gathering improvement over 42mm and 32mm glasses was marginal. So, in the feature, 32s will be my primary choice when I look for binos. Sure, I'd love to see (through!) Zeiss FLs and Ultavids too! :)

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back