• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 NL image circle (1 Viewer)

Robert Moore

I have noticed when looking through my NL I get a beautiful view without any hint that I am looking through two separate barrels. Just one perfect image circle with no signs of the left and right overlapping. Through all of my other binoculars I don’t get this perfectly illuminated image circle. Has anyone else noticed this? It’s more than just perfect alignment I think because I have other binoculars that have perfect alignment but still not the same view. Maybe they are just a perfect match for my eyes.

I think that if you don’t see what you describe for the NL, your IPD is set wrong.
No. I have been using binoculars everyday for years and it’s not IPD. I am talking about something really subtle here. I can see one circle in the other binoculars but there is something different about the NL and It’s hard for me to explain what I am talking about.

With all my binoculars i see an image like what you describe: a beautiful view without any hint that I am looking through two separate barrels. But i don't wear glasses

Oh well. Maybe they just work for me better than all my other binoculars.

I tried all three. 8x, 10x, and 12x. I hate them. Absolutely wrong for my hands and face with glare that infuriates me.

Which is why you are all the luckier - you have found a set that gives you the image and feel that makes them shine. Salute!

Robert, What you describe is the goal for any binocular one uses, imho. I think with wearing glasses (as I do) it is harder to come by. IPD does play a role, as well as eye relief, plus the AFOV to present the image circle in its largest possible presentation to any specific individual. I've had to look through a lot of binoculars to find the ones that fit me as you describe. As Ratal (post #8) says, you are lucky that you found some that do that. Enjoy!

-Bill

I tried all three. 8x, 10x, and 12x. I hate them. Absolutely wrong for my hands and face with glare that infuriates me.

Which is why you are all the luckier - you have found a set that gives you the image and feel that makes them shine. Salute!
Yes, he is really lucky. Now I am thinking to sell my 8x42 because it always gives me blackouts and eye positioning is uncomfortable. I think he is wearing eyeglasses but I am not.

I get this with my granddaughter's cheap (£50) pocket binoculars - it’s a matter of correct set-up, surely

I guess I should re phrase. I see one circle with the other binoculars but it is not perfectly illuminated to meld the two images together in such a way that it’s like your looking with just your eyes. I wear glasses so I don’t get this with any of my other binoculars in a way I do with the NL.

Even when focusing on something close I don’t get the overlapping shadow I get in my other binoculars
Maybe your NL's are misaligned/out of colmination and your other binoculars are perfect??? :) :) :) :) :) .... just joking. But really you should not get that with any quality binocular.

My experience is the same with the NL 8x42. I do not know how to hold it in my hands in a good way and I had difficult with eye placement. Of all Swarovski binoculars I prefer the SLC I have to say.

@robert
Interesting thread.
I'm wondering... Could it be what you're experiencing is that the image is super sharp and bright to the edges, which helps set up high contrast at the nicely blackened barrels. That's one thing I love about the CL 8x30. You probably already tried this, but if not, check out the edges by viewing through one eye to see if you're greeted with the same experience.
Foss

@robert
Interesting thread.
I'm wondering... Could it be what you're experiencing is that the image is super sharp and bright to the edges, which helps set up high contrast at the nicely blackened barrels. That's one thing I love about the CL 8x30. You probably already tried this, but if not, check out the edges by viewing through one eye to see if you're greeted with the same experience.
Foss
It’s possible that has something to do with it. My eyes seam to like Swarovski and Zeiss the best. I have been trying a lot of different Leica ultravid binoculars and they just don’t do it for me like the Zeiss and Swarovski. I do like the Noctivid though.

Oh well. Maybe they just work for me better than all my other binoculars.
I like it! Nobody can argue with that, Robert. I'm now going to resist checking for this through my little assortment of glass as I don't want further temptation to spend on any NL Pure. Without checking I think I get this from my SLC 8x42 but I could be deluding myself as I hate to think it's less than perfect :)

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back