• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A bad day out, but some good stuff in the end. (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
Hey birders, I went up to RSPB Snettisham today and let's just say it did not go as planned. Halfway into the walk, I had a bad reaction to the 2nd Covid vaccine which I had yesterday. I won't go into details because that's not a good thing, but I will say that my dad was planning on getting me to hospital. I'm now doing pretty well, and might go to Welney tomorrow depending on how I feel. Back to the birds, I will list the ones I saw and put the lifers in bold.

Birds seen on the way
11 Buzzards
4 Kestrels
0 Red Kite surprisingly
Possible Osprey perched on a telephone wire above the River Ouse, it had the right body shape and had the clean white belly, but it was seen from a moving vehicle so couldn't be sure.
c300 Rook (can someone please explain why its sometimes written as "c" x (x standing for the amount))

At the reserve
16 Mallards of domestic and pure breeds.
At least 8 Goldeneye (lifer)
c120 Greylag geese
60 Sanderling
2 Curlew
2 Shelduck
4 Redshank
Then I had a bad reaction to the vaccine

On the way back
Black Redstart (odd story, but whilst I was able to walk after my reaction, we walked past the sailing club, and I saw a brown bird with a red tail flick up onto a post; Black Redstart! A bird that annoyed me a couple weeks ago when it was reported multiple times after I left the site. It was a big moment of relief to finally see one.)
1 Eurasian Jay
c100 Rook
12 Blackbird
1 Oystercatcher flyby

Before we left home to go there, in the garden there was
2 Blue Tit
2 Great Tit
c30 House Sparrow
A few tree sparrow
2 Collared Dove
2 Woodpigeon
5 Blackbirds
1 Robin
And a real bonus in the form of a male blackcap which might now be a resident as it returned multiple times.

Happy Birding
Ev

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back