• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A choice to make... Frontier EDs, Nikon Monarchs or other options?? (1 Viewer)

Hello!

I am trying to decide which binoculars to get sub-£400... i have been trying to narrow it down and ive heard good reviews on the following:

Hawke Frontier ED 10x43
Nikon Monarch 10x42
Opticron Countryman 10x42
Viking/RSPB HG 10x42

Im struggling to compare these in terms of performance. any advice on which are the better binoculars?
any further pairs of binoculars recommended that ive not noticed or considered??
thanks, any advice is welcome.

Sorry for my very short answer, it was on my phone so I had no real keyboard. I own a monarch 8x42 and the ZenR ED2 is way way better. I have no tried the others but from reviews it seems that the ED2 is as good or better then the ones you mention. Actually the image on the ed2 rivals the very best, especially when it comes to brightness and CA.

thanks for your reply. i live in Scotland, not very easy to get those binoculars in this country... i like the look of them though! its a shame.... ive heard good things about the frontiers and i like their size, the main thing i want to find out is if the frontier EDs are better than the Monarchs.
thanks anyway!

Yeah, you can´t really try the ed2s before you buy them. I took the plunge and bought before try. I really like them so it was a good buy. I did the same with the Vortex Vipers 1.5 year ago. I bought em both based only on recommendations from this forum. Needless to say both was very good purchases :)

thanks for your reply. i live in Scotland, not very easy to get those binoculars in this country... i like the look of them though! its a shame.... ive heard good things about the frontiers and i like their size, the main thing i want to find out is if the frontier EDs are better than the Monarchs.
thanks anyway!

They came in a box that unusable when you put the strap on since they dont fit then (zipper lock). And I got a strap with em too. So if you want a good transportbox you probably need to buy one from another brand.

actually, it seems i can get them here... just have to order them from the US. what do you get with the Zen EDs in the box if you dont mind me asking?
thanks
Paul

Sorry for my very short answer, it was on my phone so I had no real keyboard. CA.

Hi Kristoffer,
checking optics forums on your phone? Have you owned up to this in the "Are You a Binoholic" thread? I think you should, confession is good for the soul after all. :-O

I don't have internet on my phone but perhaps it is time for an upgrade;)

Haha, a clear sign of a binoholic. Even more so since this reply is from my phone too ;)
Hi Kristoffer,
checking optics forums on your phone? Have you owned up to this in the "Are You a Binoholic" thread? I think you should, confession is good for the soul after all. :-O

I don't have internet on my phone but perhaps it is time for an upgrade;)

I have had a pair of Hawke Frontier 10x43 for almost a year now and I cannot find fault with them, as I do a lot of my birding post work I needed a binocular that performs well in bad light, these Hawkes are superb in that respect, I paid £287 at the London Camera Exchange so they are well within your budget

Nick

Thanks! thats good to know, im getting the idea from other reading that the Monarchs arnt really up to scratch compared to the Hawkes or indeed, the Zen ED2s. only bonus is they are lighter but im not going to compromise on optical quality for that. i love the open design too. i just wish i could know how much better the Zen ED2s are compared to the Hawkes.

Thanks! thats good to know, im getting the idea from other reading that the Monarchs arnt really up to scratch compared to the Hawkes or indeed, the Zen ED2s. only bonus is they are lighter but im not going to compromise on optical quality for that. i love the open design too. i just wish i could know how much better the Zen ED2s are compared to the Hawkes.

The Hawkes are easier to get hold of in the UK so you could order a pair and see how you find them. If you don't like them they're easily returned. The Zen Rays are a little harder to 'try out' but......I guess you could order a pair, try them against the Hawkes and then sell them (on BF!) if they're the ones you don't want to keep. Not a very elegant solution but it is a 'solution' of sorts.

I'll be interested to see what you go for.
All the best
Hobbes

aye, i can try out a pair of Hawkes at my local Black and Lizars and i have in the past, i remember being suprised at how good they were but i didnt know how good Hawke as a manufacturer were. they work out as the same price roughly (including the c. $140 extra due to VAT and shipping on the Zen ED2s) so its a difficult choice.

"Och aye laddie, try before ye buy, 'cause ye dinna ken they'll suit ye 'til then..."
Try the Hawke Frontier again locally, 8x and 10x, and note how practical the fitted case is, with twin zips so you can carry the binocular safely on its own strap. The Frontier ED 8x43 will give a wider, brighter view than the 10x, and will be easier to hold steady too.
AFAIK, the same Chinese manufacturer supplies slightly different binoculars to Zen and Hawke, per their preferred specifications, so build quality is likely to be similar as well.

Last edited:
ach, disaster has struck. B&L, the only place in aberdeen with a decent choice of binoculars to try, has closed its binoculars and scopes department. now its just a choice of whether i buy Hawkes and get them without trouble or risk being held up by customs and the post with importing the Zen ray ED2s. are the ED2s worth taking the chance on over the Hawkes?

You can order a pair of Hawke ED online and if you don't like them just send them back within 7 days. And then order Zen-Ray from the US!

My intention is to compare them directly to the Opticron countryman BGA 10x42s... im in no doubt that the hawkes are better (they should be with a 50% higher price) but i need to make a point to a rather stubborn friend. id do the opposite and order the Zen-Rays if i could return them...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back