• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Comparison of "3-Series" Systematic Tripods (1 Viewer)

Tringa45

Europe
An interesting comparison even if these tripods offer more than some scope users would need and cost more than many would be prepared to pay.
Here is a ranking of systematic tripods: Systematic Tripod Rankings
As additional height invoves a penalty not only in weight, but also in stability, it's a little distorted.
Also interesting is that a Berlebach 302 achieves similar stability as a Really Right Stuff TVC-33 at a quarter of the price.
It's only its additional weight that pushes it down the rankings. It would, however, be no surprise if the wooden Berlebach showed the better damping characteristics.

John

One thing to note...

Since this is a review by photographers, they used Really Right Stuff's "Versa" systematic tripod. The apex (the top plate where the fee are attached/hinged) of the Versa series tripods use a video bowl apex. On a video bowl apex the center part of the apex can be moved, tilted, and adjusted.

For spotting scope users a video bowl apex is not needed.

Really Right Stuff has a series called the "Ultralight" series that uses a fixed apex. It has the same legs as the Versa series (so it is as stiff), but uses a smaller diameter fixed apex made from machined aluminum. This apex matches up very well with the base of tripod fluid heads.

The result of the different apex is that the Ultralight is slightly lighter in weight, and when the legs are folded together it makes a smaller diameter bundle than the Versa series.

(...) Really Right Stuff has a series called the "Ultralight" series that uses a fixed apex. It has the same legs as the Versa series (so it is as stiff), but uses a smaller diameter fixed apex made from machined aluminum. This apex matches up very well with the base of tripod fluid heads. The result of the different apex is that the Ultralight is slightly lighter in weight, and when the legs are folded together it makes a smaller diameter bundle than the Versa series.
The same holds for the Leofoto Summit and Ranger series.

Also interesting is that a Berlebach 302 achieves similar stability as a Really Right Stuff TVC-33 at a quarter of the price.
It's only its additional weight that pushes it down the rankings. It would, however, be no surprise if the wooden Berlebach showed the better damping characteristics.
The Berlebach is the tripod of choice if the weight and the bulk doesn't matter. Like all wooden tripods it will definitely have better damping characteristics than carbon or. for that matter, aluminium, a property that matters a lot for scope use.

Berlebach's range of tripods is among the most interesting on the market.

Hermann

The Berlebach is the tripod of choice if the weight and the bulk doesn't matter. Like all wooden tripods it will definitely have better damping characteristics than carbon or. for that matter, aluminium, a property that matters a lot for scope use. Berlebach's range of tripods is among the most interesting on the market.
Hermann
I dare to disagree. The Berlebach tripods are really great overall: beautiful, tough, durable, adequate for heavy scopes, extremely good value for the money. I've owned several of them over the years.
And the capacity, stiffness and damping of the mighty Berlebach UNI series is above reproach, period.

But the Berlebach Report tripods are a different story in my book. In 2013, I tested two of them, the Report 3032 and 402, extensively with my DSLR + 400mm lens and my 82mm scope at 50x against the following high-class carbon tripods with similar payload: Gitzo GT3532LS and GT5532LS, Velbon Geo N830 and N840, Feisol CT-3372. My respective findings are available in German only: https://www.dslr-forum.de/showpost.php?p=11683808&postcount=177. Naturally these are just my personal perceptions and not of scientific or even universal validity.

To cut a long story short: The two Berlebachs performed very well but to my surprise the carbon models performed at least equivalent but frequently superior, the Gitzo 5 even distinctly superior. So IMHO nowadays it's no longer necessary to tug these bulky timber tripods for reasons of stability. Of course, they still remain great and inexpensive devices of unique robustness.

Last edited:
But the Berlebach Report tripods are a different story in my book. In 2013, I tested two of them, the Report 3032 and 402, extensively with my DSLR + 400mm lens and my 82mm scope at 50x against the following high-class carbon tripods with similar payload: Gitzo GT3532LS and GT5532LS, Velbon Geo N830 and N840, Feisol CT-3372. My respective findings are available in German only: https://www.dslr-forum.de/showpost.php?p=11683808&postcount=177. Naturally these are just my personal perceptions and not of scientific or even universal validity.

To cut a long story short: The two Berlebachs performed very well but to my surprise the carbon models performed at least equivalent but frequently superior, the Gitzo 5 even distinctly superior. So IMHO nowadays it's no longer necessary to tug these bulky timber tripods for reasons of stability. Of course, they still remain great and inexpensive devices of unique robustness.
That's very interesting. Thank you for the link to your report. I must admit it's been a long time since I last used a Berlebach but I have rather fond memories of them. My go-to tripods are all Gitzos nowadays, including some old but tough aluminium Gitzos. At the coast I usually still use an old aluminium Reporter II that is surprisingly stable even in difficult conditions. And in really tough conditions I use an old Jena wooden tripd. 3.9kg without the head ... I wouldn't want to carry that monster around though.

Hermann

Attachments

• DSC_1374_Jena_Stativ.jpg
    DSC_1374_Jena_Stativ.jpg
    755.2 KB · Views: 31
If weight remains (roughly) the same, are tripod made of wood really better than carbon fibre (or aluminium??) regarding stiffness and damping vibrations?

I recently bought Berlebach UNI 19C which has weight of about 8 kg (+Sirui VH-10X head) under my Kowa 883. That combination is really superior (not very surprisingly) when compared to my Gitzo GT3542L + Gitzo GHF2W (total weight about 2.5 kg) but is it just because of the huge weight advantage (of course it's disadvantage when you have carry it...) of the wooden tripod?

I long ago had Berlebach Report, I don't remember what exact model but weight was around 3.5kg. I don't remember it was anything superior compared to carbon fibre tripods around 2 kg.

Regards, Juhani

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back