• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

A country first at my local patch :) (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

A day out at my local patch with a friend was going fine although nothing thrilling. A fair number of birds, over 60 species including my first Osprey for the spot species #131 and we were enjoying the beautiful ripe mustard fields. Then he had to leave as he had a meeting in the afternoon, but I hung around for awhile and just as I was about to leave I noticed a bird perched in a dry area on a low bit of grass. Through my binoculars I immediately noted that it was very pale overall and had a strikingly red tail. At this point I realized it was a shrike and noticeably different from the only similar looking common species in Bangladesh: Brown Shrike. I quickly snapped some shots and then it flew. It was fairly skittish but I was able to get a number of photos which made me even more excited as it really felt like an Isabelline Shrike!
I knew at the time that it was quite rare if I was right, but had no idea it was actually a first national record!

Attachments

• _DSC9766 (2).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • _DSC9856 (2).jpg
    _DSC9856 (2).jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 22
  • _DSC9934 (2).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • _DSC9966 (2).jpg
    _DSC9966 (2).jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 20
  • _DSC9999 (2).jpg