• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

A couple of Moths for ID. (1 Viewer)

Overread

Hunting birds with a canon
Got a pair from my last trapping in early May. I'm fairly sure on the Lime Hawkmoth, though I don't know if its possible to tell more from it from the photos shown other than its species. A bit early, but this one was actually not even in the trap and was hiding in the house.

Spruce Carpet I'm fairly sure on as it seems to be a "carpet shape" and its one of the few that makes sense for Suffolk.

Photo 1 Spruce Carpet (Thera britannica)

Photo 2-4 Lime Hawkmoth (Mimas tiliae)

Attachments

• IMG_1359.jpg
    IMG_1359.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1287.jpg
    IMG_1287.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 6

Jabberwocky

Got a pair from my last trapping in early May. I'm fairly sure on the Lime Hawkmoth, though I don't know if its possible to tell more from it from the photos shown other than its species. A bit early, but this one was actually not even in the trap and was hiding in the house.

Spruce Carpet I'm fairly sure on as it seems to be a "carpet shape" and its one of the few that makes sense for Suffolk.

Photo 1 Spruce Carpet (Thera britannica)

Photo 2-4 Lime Hawkmoth (Mimas tiliae)

Spruce Carpet looks correct but the other one is an Angle Shades.

Lewis

Overread

Hunting birds with a canon
Ahh your right!
I've not seen an Angel Shades before, but I have seen limes before. The balder part on the back should have given me a hint that it was old and not younger (I'd thought it was a lime but new and thus not fully expanded wings). A further inspection and yeah I think I was more seeing what I was wanting to see than what was there, the colours and patterns really don't line up all that well even if one were thinking the wings were rumpled.

Users who are viewing this thread