• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

A field guide to the RARE BIRDS of Britain and Europe. (1 Viewer)

DPR

Did they only ever do one edition of this excellent field guide? I still have my copy from the Christmas of 1991! Was that really 16 years ago??!!!

In the preface and introduction the authors (Lewington, Alstrom and Colston) outlined their plans to revise the book every 2-3 years. If they have, well it's a difficult book to track down.

Anyone know anything further about this?

Conorbirda2

Did they only ever do one edition of this excellent field guide? I still have my copy from the Christmas of 1991! Was that really 16 years ago??!!!

In the preface and introduction the authors (Lewington, Alstrom and Colston) outlined their plans to revise the book every 2-3 years. If they have, well it's a difficult book to track down.

Anyone know anything further about this?

Crikey doesn't time fly! 16 yrs! I'm not aware of any other editions of the book yet. Maybe they are waiting for the 20yr mark before updating. Something to look forward to!

Dougie Preston

I live for this S**T
Yes it's a good book, or should I say, It was a good book.

I recently got hold of a copy after loosing mine, many, many years ago moving house. It does seem a bit dated and I for one wish they would update it. As a starter guide to rarer sp, it's a lot cheaper than having to fork out a small fortune on lot's of single sp guides. I also paid about the same for my second hand copy as I did for the new book many years ago, so I can only presume it's still very popular.

John Cantelo

I remember chatting to Ian Lewington not long after it appeared (OK it was only the second time I'd ever spoken to him!) and getting out a new edition a few years down the line was certainly the plan. Personally, I feel this paired with a good Europe only guide would be a much better option than trying to cover 700+ species in one book. However, I suspect it might not have sold enough copies to justify this - for publishers the dosh is always the bottom line,
John

DPR

I think it must have been popular to certain extent - people still want the book nowadays.

Is there anything else that comes close?

I would love to see that second edition come out with all updated information.

william j clive

I think it must have been popular to certain extent - people still want the book nowadays.

Is there anything else that comes close?

I have a very good copy of this book available for £12 plus £2.50 Postage.
I covered the front and back of the book with cellophane when new so the covers are in clean condition. I also have quite a few American birding books by Phoebe Snetsinger and others. If interested I can send you a list.

Clive

bitterntwisted

Graham Howard Shortt
I have a very good copy of this book available for £12 plus £2.50 Postage.
I covered the front and back of the book with cellophane when new so the covers are in clean condition. I also have quite a few American birding books by Phoebe Snetsinger and others. If interested I can send you a list.

Clive

Clive,

I'd like to buy this. Have sent a private message.

Graham

Users who are viewing this thread