• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Field Review of NL 8x32 (1 Viewer)

A screen shot of the results is posted below. The numbers don't add up. For example, the total number of votes is 170, not 113; and the total of percentages is 150.3 not 100. However, the totals of the first four rows do sum to 113 and 100% as they should.
Whatever does this all mean? :unsure:

Ed
NOTE: I've posted corrected percentage numbers in 3rd attachment.
So is it 43% using neck carry, then? Still too high....

While we are talking about the Field Pro strap I should mention that the NL arrived with the strap already fitted and what is more, fitted by one of the most competent and experienced dealers in the business. It was a shock therefore when, as I sat down on a seat on the stern of the ferry to Islay to set off to the island, the strap came undone from the binoculars on one side and the binos fell towards the steel deck, fortunately just landing on my knees just as my backside arrived on the seat and I was able to stop the instrument from falling further. That could have been much worse! I re-attached the strap and didn’t have any further issues like this but it took a few minutes for my heart-rate to return to normal and frankly, it did knock my confidence in the Field Pro strap.
Im trying to figure out if this is an indictment of field pro or Jan's shop...

Nice writeup, was looking forward to it.

Hello Lee,
thanks for the great review.
I can almost agree on everything, although i consider some minor weak points to be not so significant.
The rainguard is really much too tight. It does not bother me cause i am using winged eye cup.
The field pro strap is an answer to a completely unnecessary question.
I use my own straps for my bino. To mount these belts is very hard work by field pro.
So far, with all Swarovskis with field pro no belt has ever come loose with me. Including 3 NLs, several ELs ans Companions.
However i think the shape of the NL is brilliant. I can hold ist very well.
After i had massive problems with glare at the 42 NLs i did not order a 32 NL at first. Although the 32 are my favorite size. However, I could not resist the tempation. and what can i say: it fit. this time the rubber sits firmly at the objectives. With completely twisted eyecups the NL 32 still produces enough glare.
To avoid this almost completely, it is enough to lower the eyecups für one position.
The NL is bigger than many of ist competitors and also larger than a Leica UV 42 but i think it is the best 32 yet.
Yes. I also had a Zeiss SF 32. I find the NL from the optics more impressive.
Therefore i also ordered the NL 10 by 32.
loddar

Attachments

• 5583074B-8A2E-4EC2-A55D-0C5D5CC7965D.jpeg
    5583074B-8A2E-4EC2-A55D-0C5D5CC7965D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 128
  • 863944B3-E89E-4070-BF34-FB707128EE1D.jpeg
    863944B3-E89E-4070-BF34-FB707128EE1D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 131
Hello Lee,
thanks for the great review.
I can almost agree on everything, although i consider some minor weak points to be not so significant.
The rainguard is really much too tight. It does not bother me cause i am using winged eye cup.
The field pro strap is an answer to a completely unnecessary question.
I use my own straps for my bino. To mount these belts is very hard work by field pro.
So far, with all Swarovskis with field pro no belt has ever come loose with me. Including 3 NLs, several ELs ans Companions.
However i think the shape of the NL is brilliant. I can hold ist very well.
After i had massive problems with glare at the 42 NLs i did not order a 32 NL at first. Although the 32 are my favorite size. However, I could not resist the tempation. and what can i say: it fit. this time the rubber sits firmly at the objectives. With completely twisted eyecups the NL 32 still produces enough glare.
To avoid this almost completely, it is enough to lower the eyecups für one position.
The NL is bigger than many of ist competitors and also larger than a Leica UV 42 but i think it is the best 32 yet.
Yes. I also had a Zeiss SF 32. I find the NL from the optics more impressive.
Therefore i also ordered the NL 10 by 32.
loddar
Thanks for your kind words Loddar. Enjoy your binos in good health.

Lee

I was very excited about these bins until I looked through them. The glare, in my case even on a cloudy but light saturated day in Seattle, was omnipresent. Test didn't last more than five minutes.

I say this as someone flat out delighted with their glare free 7x21s.

I was very excited about these bins until I looked through them. The glare, in my case even on a cloudy but light saturated day in Seattle, was omnipresent. Test didn't last more than five minutes.

I say this as someone flat out delighted with their glare free 7x21s.
Well, that's just great ... Seattle had a light-saturated day ... and I missed it!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 10.58.46 AM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 10.58.46 AM copy.png
    4 MB · Views: 50
Hello Lee,

I extend my thanks for a thoughtful and thought provoking field review of the NL 8x32. Some issues, glare control and haptics, affect users differently but potential buyers should be aware of them.

Stay safe,
Arthur

I have a pair of 8x32 EL FP's and was considering replacing them with an 8x32 or 8x42 NL. I don't notice any appreciable glare in my EL's but have held off making the change because I worry that maybe I would notice glare in the NL's. I guess I need to find a local dealer where I can demo an NL under various lighting conditions to find out.

I have a pair of 8x32 EL FP's and was considering replacing them with an 8x32 or 8x42 NL. I don't notice any appreciable glare in my EL's but have held off making the change because I worry that maybe I would notice glare in the NL's. I guess I need to find a local dealer where I can demo an NL under various lighting conditions to find out.
Not much in it to be honest

We just finished a 3-week camping vacation on one of the Dutch islands in the north of the country (Terschelling for curious readers). The island is well known for its great variety in landscapes: wide sandy beaches, dunes, forests, heatherfields, large surfaces of water etc. etc. It is a paradise for all kinds of birds.
I took the Swarovski NL pure 8x32 with me on this trip. The strap was attached by Jan van Daalen and stayed in place under all circumstances.
Handling of the 8x32 was excellent in my case, the body fits perfectly in my hands and that feels very nice. I do not use the protective eypiece cap supplied by Swarovski, but another one from one of the binoculars in our collection. The advantage of this protective eyepiece cap was that it covers the eyepieces completely and it comes free very smoothly when you put the binocular to your eyes. The island is surrounded by the North sea in the north and the Waddenzee in the south and that falls dry a couple of times per day due to the tide changes. Many different birds gather there to have a nice meal. The sun causes all kinds of reflections on the water surfaces and under no occasion have I observed any glare, while sun over waves would be an excellent object to see it.
Of course the binocular gathers some dust when using it for 8-10 hours per day, so at the end of the day I immersed it in a bucketf full of fresh water, which removed all the dust particles. Drying the instrument with a fine cloth finished the cleaning job.
I have taken quite a few different binoculars to this island on our camping trips, but as far as handling and optical performance is concerned, the NL pure 8x32 was one of the finest binoculars I have used.
I had already investigated the NL pure 8x32 in comparison with other 8x30/8x32 binoculars (see our test results on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor) and my experiences fully match our results in that test report.
Gijs van Ginkel

I'm just now jumping in, as I received my NL 8x32, but I have been following this and related discussions.

I purchased the NL32 to replace my EL32 (and hand those off to my wife), because I'm tired of my little finger not quite fitting between the two bridges without a squeeze, and knowing that in winter that finder will again be pointed skyward like I'm at a tea party... Otherwise I love the EL32, so criticism of the NL32 on the grounds that it didn't change much optically haven't discouraged me.

My first impression is disappointment because of the shape, especially since I was expecting to like the narrowed grip as a safe replacement for the thumb indent. The thumb indent on the EL32 fits my hand perfectly, totally love it, but the indent on the EL42 is off for me and I really dislike it. So, seeing the waisted appearance of the NLs made me think that swarovski found a new way to ensure that the NLs feel nice in anyone's hands. Not so. I have seen no picture that accurately reflects how the NL32 is shaped. Someone described it as a smashed beer can, and that's right on, right down to the uneven, uncomfortably acute bends at the edges. Another image that came to my mind is a smashed hoagie sandwich - it's flatter in the hand than I expected and there is a prominent ridge from the focuser toward the objective end that I did not understand from pictures.

On the plus side, I found that I can fit my little finger on the barrel now, with or without gloves, and I like that I can even wrap fingers from both hands around the barrels at the same time(without gloves). These are big ergonomic wins for me, as I found that the ability to grasp the Zeiss HT42 with both hands made me want to use those more than my EL42, even though I prefer the view through the EL42. And, with gloves, I found that the, honestly, super weird cross section of the barrels was less unnerving. The focuser is wonderful, though I haven't had a chance to see whether it is too slow for my preferred use (I think it's the same as the EL32, which is a bit on the slow side for me). I was also relieved to find that I don't notice a change in overall size or weight from the EL32, seems like a direct replacement in the category in this regard, and I am happy that I looked away from the specs sheet on this point.

I don't have the expertise or experience to comment on the comparative optics, and others have thought about this and write about it better anyway. I will give this ergonomics situation a think and will take them out a time or two so I can give my hands' apparent disdain for the unfamiliar a chance to simmer down before I make any decisions. It is a shame, though, that this isn't the home run that I was hoping for, at least at first blush.

The issue for me was that big eyepieces need bigger objectives to feel balanced. 8x32 EL felt balanced. 8x42 NL felt balanced.

I'm just now jumping in, as I received my NL 8x32, but I have been following this and related discussions.

I purchased the NL32 to replace my EL32 (and hand those off to my wife), because I'm tired of my little finger not quite fitting between the two bridges without a squeeze, and knowing that in winter that finder will again be pointed skyward like I'm at a tea party... Otherwise I love the EL32, so criticism of the NL32 on the grounds that it didn't change much optically haven't discouraged me.

My first impression is disappointment because of the shape, especially since I was expecting to like the narrowed grip as a safe replacement for the thumb indent. The thumb indent on the EL32 fits my hand perfectly, totally love it, but the indent on the EL42 is off for me and I really dislike it. So, seeing the waisted appearance of the NLs made me think that swarovski found a new way to ensure that the NLs feel nice in anyone's hands. Not so. I have seen no picture that accurately reflects how the NL32 is shaped. Someone described it as a smashed beer can, and that's right on, right down to the uneven, uncomfortably acute bends at the edges. Another image that came to my mind is a smashed hoagie sandwich - it's flatter in the hand than I expected and there is a prominent ridge from the focuser toward the objective end that I did not understand from pictures.

On the plus side, I found that I can fit my little finger on the barrel now, with or without gloves, and I like that I can even wrap fingers from both hands around the barrels at the same time(without gloves). These are big ergonomic wins for me, as I found that the ability to grasp the Zeiss HT42 with both hands made me want to use those more than my EL42, even though I prefer the view through the EL42. And, with gloves, I found that the, honestly, super weird cross section of the barrels was less unnerving. The focuser is wonderful, though I haven't had a chance to see whether it is too slow for my preferred use (I think it's the same as the EL32, which is a bit on the slow side for me). I was also relieved to find that I don't notice a change in overall size or weight from the EL32, seems like a direct replacement in the category in this regard, and I am happy that I looked away from the specs sheet on this point.

I don't have the expertise or experience to comment on the comparative optics, and others have thought about this and write about it better anyway. I will give this ergonomics situation a think and will take them out a time or two so I can give my hands' apparent disdain for the unfamiliar a chance to simmer down before I make any decisions. It is a shame, though, that this isn't the home run that I was hoping for, at least at first blush.
I find the indent on the EL42 is off for me as well, wish it was not there.
I do find the shape of the NL32 to work well in my hands.
Also have been using the forehead rest, and it is pleasingly functional.
After 9 months of near daily use the shape is integral to my enjoyment of the optics

Thank you Troubador for yet another detailed sharing of experience. I would just share my experience with the NLP 8x32.

Early in the morning, the sun takes a while to peep beyond the hills whose base is where I live. The view is wide, contrasy and richly coloured - ours are the tropics and post monsoons - green it is in so many shades. As the sun goes higher and is shining on my back, the glare is visible. But within 10-15 minutes, as the sun rises higher, the view goes back to being supreme. It does well in the grasslands at the deserts edge and certainly is magnificent inside the woods - saw a male Leopard walking on a trail the other day and it was gorgeous.

The focuser is buttery but slowish - my FL 10/42 is faster, much faster. Yet the focussing on the NLP is precise and good.

The rainguard is what you say - finicky and hard. It sure could have been deisgned for easy removal . I find the dangling objective covers an irritation- they got caught in my camera stap and came right off. So did one wire cover. Swarovski’s service was impeccable and they mailed replacements.

The shape l- I don’t mind it. Easy to hold with both hands ( the CL Companion 8x30 - I just enjoy it with one hand).

When I tried the SF 8/32 - I found it just as good. There was a faint blue line at the field stop - but that wasn’t obvious enough to be a deal breaker.

I clean them with a soft handwash. Lather my hands up and clean the barrels and glass thoroughly. Been doing that will all bins. Out here its is often humid and one ends up getting some oily/ greasy stuff on the eyepieces. Once the water drips i polish the bins carefully.

Arijit

The rainguard is what you say - finicky and hard.
I never liked the hinged SLC/EL version either. I've replaced them with the simple rubber items below, which someone mentioned in a post here. Don't order what you measure though, or it will be impractically tight; get one whose lower diameter is just above your measurement. This one fits SLC 42 nicely.
40.7-42mm Binocular Rainguard/Eyepiece/Eyecup Cover

A quick follow up on my impressions - As I thought I might, I have learned to accept the shape of the grip. I just had to NOT handle my EL32 for a few days and take the new NLs birding, you know, putting them to use instead to nitpicking in my living room. The temperatures here in Michigan, USA, have been flirting with freezing in the morning, so I am wearing gloves already. Unlike the EL32s, the NL32 is a dream to handle with gloves. I don't think I really notice the wider FOV, not without comparing side by side, but I feel like my eyes are more relaxed...not sure if that is related. I will say that I did notice glare much more often than I ever did with my EL32s, but it's manageable and appears to be related to my eye position, so more work to do there. I also agree that the focus is slooooow... I'm not happy about that, but after the warblers move along it won't be as much an issue. Also, because of the placement and smoothness of the focus wheel, I have been experimenting with a two-finger fast turning technique to make up for the slowness... Not ideal, but manageable.

Regarding the rainguard. I highly recommend getting Swaros winged eyecups and purpose-built rainguard. Easy on and off, no fuss, and less stray light behind the oculars. And, if you don't like losing your peripheral vision completely, or like me find that in the coldest weather your eyes fog the oculars without some ventilation, you can slide the winged eyecups down and their apex extends just proud of the bin eyecups and fixes all issues.

Last edited:
A quick follow up on my impressions - As I thought I might, I have learned to accept the shape of the grip. I just had to NOT handle my EL32 for a few days and take the new NLs birding, you know, putting them to use instead to nitpicking in my living room.
Ha! Perfect. Change is hard. Do we dare predict? Stay with it and a year from now you'll grab the Els and they'll feel weird...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back