• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

A Field Review of NL 8x32 (1 Viewer)

GrampaTom

United States
A screen shot of the results is posted below. The numbers don't add up. For example, the total number of votes is 170, not 113; and the total of percentages is 150.3 not 100. However, the totals of the first four rows do sum to 113 and 100% as they should.
Whatever does this all mean? :unsure:

Ed
NOTE: I've posted corrected percentage numbers in 3rd attachment.
So is it 43% using neck carry, then? Still too high....

GrampaTom

United States
While we are talking about the Field Pro strap I should mention that the NL arrived with the strap already fitted and what is more, fitted by one of the most competent and experienced dealers in the business. It was a shock therefore when, as I sat down on a seat on the stern of the ferry to Islay to set off to the island, the strap came undone from the binoculars on one side and the binos fell towards the steel deck, fortunately just landing on my knees just as my backside arrived on the seat and I was able to stop the instrument from falling further. That could have been much worse! I re-attached the strap and didn’t have any further issues like this but it took a few minutes for my heart-rate to return to normal and frankly, it did knock my confidence in the Field Pro strap.
Im trying to figure out if this is an indictment of field pro or Jan's shop...

Nice writeup, was looking forward to it.

Loddar

Hello Lee,
thanks for the great review.
I can almost agree on everything, although i consider some minor weak points to be not so significant.
The rainguard is really much too tight. It does not bother me cause i am using winged eye cup.
The field pro strap is an answer to a completely unnecessary question.
I use my own straps for my bino. To mount these belts is very hard work by field pro.
So far, with all Swarovskis with field pro no belt has ever come loose with me. Including 3 NLs, several ELs ans Companions.
However i think the shape of the NL is brilliant. I can hold ist very well.
After i had massive problems with glare at the 42 NLs i did not order a 32 NL at first. Although the 32 are my favorite size. However, I could not resist the tempation. and what can i say: it fit. this time the rubber sits firmly at the objectives. With completely twisted eyecups the NL 32 still produces enough glare.
To avoid this almost completely, it is enough to lower the eyecups für one position.
The NL is bigger than many of ist competitors and also larger than a Leica UV 42 but i think it is the best 32 yet.
Yes. I also had a Zeiss SF 32. I find the NL from the optics more impressive.
Therefore i also ordered the NL 10 by 32.
loddar

Attachments

• 5583074B-8A2E-4EC2-A55D-0C5D5CC7965D.jpeg
    5583074B-8A2E-4EC2-A55D-0C5D5CC7965D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 65
  • 863944B3-E89E-4070-BF34-FB707128EE1D.jpeg
    863944B3-E89E-4070-BF34-FB707128EE1D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 65

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Hello Lee,
thanks for the great review.
I can almost agree on everything, although i consider some minor weak points to be not so significant.
The rainguard is really much too tight. It does not bother me cause i am using winged eye cup.
The field pro strap is an answer to a completely unnecessary question.
I use my own straps for my bino. To mount these belts is very hard work by field pro.
So far, with all Swarovskis with field pro no belt has ever come loose with me. Including 3 NLs, several ELs ans Companions.
However i think the shape of the NL is brilliant. I can hold ist very well.
After i had massive problems with glare at the 42 NLs i did not order a 32 NL at first. Although the 32 are my favorite size. However, I could not resist the tempation. and what can i say: it fit. this time the rubber sits firmly at the objectives. With completely twisted eyecups the NL 32 still produces enough glare.
To avoid this almost completely, it is enough to lower the eyecups für one position.
The NL is bigger than many of ist competitors and also larger than a Leica UV 42 but i think it is the best 32 yet.
Yes. I also had a Zeiss SF 32. I find the NL from the optics more impressive.
Therefore i also ordered the NL 10 by 32.
loddar
Thanks for your kind words Loddar. Enjoy your binos in good health.

Lee

b-lilja

I was very excited about these bins until I looked through them. The glare, in my case even on a cloudy but light saturated day in Seattle, was omnipresent. Test didn't last more than five minutes.

I say this as someone flat out delighted with their glare free 7x21s.

WJC

I was very excited about these bins until I looked through them. The glare, in my case even on a cloudy but light saturated day in Seattle, was omnipresent. Test didn't last more than five minutes.

I say this as someone flat out delighted with their glare free 7x21s.
Well, that's just great ... Seattle had a light-saturated day ... and I missed it!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 10.58.46 AM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 10.58.46 AM copy.png
    4 MB · Views: 27

Maximc1

United States
Hello Lee,

I extend my thanks for a thoughtful and thought provoking field review of the NL 8x32. Some issues, glare control and haptics, affect users differently but potential buyers should be aware of them.

Stay safe,
Arthur

I have a pair of 8x32 EL FP's and was considering replacing them with an 8x32 or 8x42 NL. I don't notice any appreciable glare in my EL's but have held off making the change because I worry that maybe I would notice glare in the NL's. I guess I need to find a local dealer where I can demo an NL under various lighting conditions to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread