• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A flyover bird from Yosemite NP in California this past week (1 Viewer)

Interesting. I can get with that on the bill size and shape, but the tail seems short and there is none of the lemon yellow or orange tones that would be typical for this species, and the elevation seems very odd for that species. Not that I have any better suggestions at the moment... Thanks for input, interested to see if there are any other thoughts or comments on my thoughts... For what its worth I considered Western Wood-pewee, but again the bill doesn't seem right and the markings are a bit off too I think.

Definitely flycatcher in my opinion, I first thought Western Wood-pewee but connorco's suggestion of Olive-sided could be correct as well. That might explain bill thickness, and the "vest" appearance is there for me.

I see some reddish-brown on the upperside of the wing. This seems to me to clash a bit with most of the flycatchers?

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back