• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

A growing addiction.... (1 Viewer)

Mayomike

Hi all,

Just to give you a quick update. After toing and froing quite a lot, I eventually decided to order the Ultravid 7x42 HD Plus instead the Ultravid 8x32 HD Plus. My reasons were as follows...

Where I live we don't get a lot of bright sunny days. It's overcast and relatively dark quite a lot (especially at this time of year). Even though my pupils don't really open up more than 4mm (as far as I can tell) I still think the 7x42 will be a little brighter

Where I live it is often very windy. On a still say I can use my Ultravid 10x50 HD Plus very well, but if it is windy is just too difficult to keep them stable enough. On very windy days even my Trinovid 8x42 is a challenge. I think a 7x42 with its larger exit pupil and lower magnification will be more forgiving under these conditions than a 8x32.

I have a good system for carrying a mid sized binocular, but the 8x32 is too small for this system to work. This means that the smaller size of the 8x32 is in some ways a very slight disadvantage for me.

The 8x32 is very compact indeed, but the 7x42 is not exactly huge. It is only a little larger and heavier. If I want something really small I'll use my Trinovid 8x20.

Of course there are many good reasons to choose the 8x32 over the 7x42 also, but these are the main reasons I chose the 7x42 in the end.

I hope to receive it on Monday or Tuesday. I will try to remember to let you know if it lives up to my expectations.

Mike F

The 8x32 is very compact indeed, but the 7x42 is not exactly huge. It is only a little larger and heavier. If I want something really small I'll use my Trinovid 8x20.
This was perhaps the main reason why I thought you'd be better to go for the 7x42. All the best with them, and do let us know how it goes!

Users who are viewing this thread